you planning to hit the slopes in 2 weeks then?

Dude it is october what do you expect every person is running their gear into the shops about now. 2 weeks puts you into november 1st or so. If you want it done fast learn to tune them yourself.

The shop guy asked me, "so when are you going to use it"?"as if, he was saying "hey mate, calm down, there's weeks to go yet"...but fatty that's not the point. It is already costing 10,000 yen for a service that isn't (according to them) going to fix the damage to the leading edge. I want my board back and Ï want it fixed! Its times like these I wish I could speak Japanese fluently so I could ring up and sink the boot in. Now I have to get my secretary to call up and express my displeasre but, she never seems to convey quite the same level of outraged indignation that I would prefer.. I think self tune up might be the go in the future.

I got word yesterday that the ol' girl has been fixed up and can be collected at anytime. Actually I was kind of hoping they had lost my board so maybe they would give me a nice flashy new one.

1,500 v 12,000 mmm, definitely a business opportunity there. If anyone in Tokyo wants to get their board tuned, bring 'em around to my place and for a modest, 5,000 I'll get it sorted for you ;\)

i'm not sure about skis, but with boards you can have a maximum of 6 base grinds. i'm also not sure about everyone else and how long they keep their boards/skis but most manufacturers build them to last for 60-80 days before they lose they spring and pop.

if you get a new board look at the height between floor and base when its on the ground. then look at it halfway through the season and again at the end. most boards will have lost 80% of that spring if you've ridden 40+ days and less if you ride powder all the time because of the force exerted on the board by the snow. Once they've lost that you start to feel a lot more through your feet..and your board has less edge control through the snow because its not as 'snappy', it's more like dead wood.

I like to get a tune twice a season, minimum, when riding regularly.