You know what I would actually beleive that. It blows my mind when you see the younger generation with brand new cars, boats, LCD tv's flash houses etc. I certainly did have all those luxuries at that age sure I am may have a few of them now BUT I also own everything I have. Most the youger gen have them are on lease, 24 months interest free etc.

NOW I KNOW WHERE THEY ARE GETTING THEIR MONEY FROM. wink

All this drama about Kutchan - surely a bit of perspective is needed after years of huge growth. The place is hardly going to be empty, I'd guess it will still be very busy and doing very nicely thank you very much.

I would personally expect other areas that was/is expecting foreigners in any numbers to suffer more than Niseko.

Maybe not 69...

First up the majority of the fall out from this wont be this year as the majority of people have booked and paid in advance - they will just take the hit on the spending money. The cost increases will effect next season much more.

At that time some of the Niseko visitors might say ... hmmm we love Japan, we feel comfortable there now, yes prices have gone up too much with the excahnge rate situations for us to go again - but whoah hang on....some of the more tradtional resorts are cheaper for lift tix and food costs ... and a more traditional accomodation might be a nice change...

I would expect you will see some who would have stayed in Niseko moving to smaller resorts.

Might be wrong - been known to be!

Yes. I was just saying a bit of perspective and also saying not to just focus on one town. Look how things have changed in the matter of just a few months in terms of exchange rates. Who's to say things won't change again, he offers rather optimistically.

Next year is next year. Read my lips. I have a dream. Don't ask what your country........ lol

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Maybe not 69...

First up the majority of the fall out from this wont be this year as the majority of people have booked and paid in advance - they will just take the hit on the spending money. The cost increases will effect next season much more.

At that time some of the Niseko visitors might say ... hmmm we love Japan, we feel comfortable there now, yes prices have gone up too much with the excahnge rate situations for us to go again - but whoah hang on....some of the more tradtional resorts are cheaper for lift tix and food costs ... and a more traditional accomodation might be a nice change...

I would expect you will see some who would have stayed in Niseko moving to smaller resorts.

Might be wrong - been known to be!

Mama,

If I don't think I can afford it or am worried about the mortgage, skiing becomes a low priority. For most Aussie visitors, those are not issues because they are relatively wealthy people.
Originally Posted By: 69
Who's to say things won't change again, he offers rather optimistically.

Next year is next year. Read my lips. I have a dream. Don't ask what your country........ lol

OH! Agreed! And a nice quick turn around would be nice. .....please....

lol

"We ran a positive campaign. We campaigned on the issues. The issue is leadership. Leadership for the future. Ask not what you can do for your country. The people have spoken. The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen. Live Free or Die. And in conclusion...read my lips!"

Originally Posted By: tripitaka
If I don't think I can afford it or am worried about the mortgage, skiing becomes a low priority. For most Aussie visitors, those are not issues because they are relatively wealthy people.

PULEEEZE!! Relative to whom, am I wealthy? (and, more to the point, how do you know this?).

Some facts - I work on contract as a clerk. Pay is not huge (around AUD25/hour and currently 21 hours a week). We have a home that we are paying for, cars (2) owned outright, 400 olive trees that have not produced anything for a couple of years but still require maintenance (and therefore spending on them). That I prefer to ski than smoke or drink (to excess) says less about my relative wealth than about priorities.

As I mentioned earlier - this year's trip is (partly) paid for and non-refundable air tix mean I MUST go. I'll go, enjoy the hell out of myself and then likely spend next year paying off the cards. That will mean no spare funds for 2010 season in Japow, so might have to do a quick trip to UnZud for a slide in the winter here (providing the job keeps going, and going!).

HERE HERE JA - We are still coming because we had paid for our trip in full BUT we will not have a lot of spare cash to spend while we are there.

I can tell you we are far from weathly but don't smoke, only drink socially, don't have new cars, don't dine out alot which means we can save our money to ski in Japow (which is TOTALLY worth it) BUT it will mean that 2010 may not be a possibility?? sadface

Yes, things can (and quite possibly might) change. BUT ... if you are flat out paying for 2008/09 season, then 2009/10 is unlikely.

Note, I am not saying we will definitely not be back in 10, but it is highly unlikely unless the lottery people decide that I've been such a good supporter over the years that I deserve first prize! Trouble is, one has to buy a ticket first!!

Anyone got a rich rello who'll support me in the manner to which I'd like to become accustomed?? I'd promise to be nice to them.

Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll
Out of interest, roughly what does a week's trip to the snow in Japan cost from Aust? AUD5,000 pp?

Ok the basic costs for this trip I am rolling is about 3.4k (AUD) the main cost is the plane ticket which is 2.2k..

Now if I had the cash a week prior to when I got my ticket I would of saved somewhere between 300 and 400 (I would of liked going via HK)

but this is for a single trip person (single share with his own gear)

What I get for my trip: (In December)

Airfare to Sapporo via Tokyo.
Accommodation (7 nights).
6 day lift ticket
Breakfast.
Transfer from CTS to Niseko
Medical cover (don't bother going if you don't have it)

What I don't get...

Logistics (in Sydney and Japan)
dinner and lunch
Grog (it's a budget in itself)
Anything shinny I may want to buy while I am there.

Now this being said. I am traveling alone and at short notice.

you can get it cheaper then that if you work hard enough at it.

Our trip was 5K pp

BUT that was

2 nights accom at the Ice Festival

12 nights accom in Niseko

Airfare - Transfers - Ski Passes

We are not complaining about that at all and to eat and drink in Niseko is fairly cheap it is just going to be a little more expensive this time.

We feel that we wont be able to afford a trip in 2010 BUT just wait I bet 3 days into our trip we will be trying to work out a plan to save for 2010!!

Originally Posted By: shadowtec

you can get it cheaper than that if you work hard enough at it.

It can also cost you more.

Our costs always blow out because we travel with children.
**When they want food they want it NOW - not when you get to the cheaper joint or the place where your meal is already included....x 4 hungry mouths.
**Baby bear 'made a joke' last night when we were talking "Santa" coming and what presents s/he might bring... he said I want a gameboy game, a wakeboard, a new snowboard, new snowboard pants and jacket and 150 pairs of gloves <snigger>! This would be because he loses MANY pairs of the things each trip!
**Due to our family size accomodation options are limited - usually high end is required to accomodate us - it costs more. And in hotels we usually need to book 3 rooms, although the odd time we can get away with 2 rooms (BONUS!) using rolloways.

So multiply 5k x 6 then add a little bit more and you are close.
Now consider that THIS year in the midst of this financial meltdown we are committed (non refundable tix) to 5 weeks in Europe. I think it will take at least missing the next season to pay off the CC from THAT trip.
Not complaining - we are thrilled we are going - the timing is right for our family - most other years it would be impractical and a logistical nightmare, which is why we have not gone before now....but it WILL have an impact on travel for the following year despite a recovery. We will still have a holiday, but it is more likely to be a 'drive to' local holiday that will cost WAY less while we recover from the great finacial blow out of 08/09.

Mama, I feel your pain. My baby-dolls are still at the nursery stage/ski school stage but they still need airline tickets and they still need beds and cold weather gear (they don't drink too much, which is handy) and if my wife and I are to have any kind of holiday, we need to bring the nanny (think of messy meal times, and early bath and bed routines and nappies and 4 changes of clothes per kid etc.) and before I know it, kaching, kaching, kaching, the family holdiay has become a major household investment.

That said though, Snowhunter's 5k for an international 2 week holiday in the snow isn't all that bad. Sure 5k is 5k, but given the way snow holidays tend to be pricey anyway and the usual tourist gouge that we're all subject, it is almost reasonable.

Well I work my arse off and don't have a credit card. but I can get away with that cause I am single and I won't have kids I can't put on eBay (I keed)

I don't think I would be able to afford it if I started a clan

Originally Posted By: tripitaka
Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll
Out of interest, roughly what does a week's trip to the snow in Japan cost from Aust? AUD5,000 pp?

It can't be far off. That to me is for the rich.

OK, put the following into a spreadsheet and do the math ...

airfares AUD500
Travel Insurance AUD200
Accommodation on snow JPY 94000 (around AUD 1400) 10 days
food & other AUD 1200 (10 days)

Total (around AUD 3200) for 10 days so 320/day = 2240 a week.

That's my costings (approximate) for the ski portion of my trip. When you add in the week touring and sightseeing it changes, but the question was for a week skiing.

Simple fact is that we save for a year to do this. That does not make us rich, it means we do not waste money on mobile web access, movies, cigarettes, excessive booze, paying people to do stuff we could do ourselves (like build our home, or mow our grass) or a million other ways people waste money. Simply put, we live a relatively simple life with minimal costs. The savings we put towards our enjoyment of both the japanese snow and the culture we find.