Anyone else here not like coffee?

Funny, often I go to meetings and before you can say anything, yep, the cup of coffee arrives in front of you!

You'd think they would ask first, but oftentimes there is no asking and it just arrives. One Japanese friend told me that even though I don't like coffee I should still drink it!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

love coffee, a morning ritual for me. I often indulge in a cuppacino at one of the many many coffee shop chains that have sprung up down here in recent years.

2 a day is plenty for me though.

coffee is wonderful!

However, the stuff Japanese make and put in front of you is not coffee, its piss...its as bad as Happoshu. Its the most disgusting crap I have ever drank and always turn it away or ask for tea instead. I see many Japanese not drinking it either so dont worry bout it, dont drink it.

My Japanese staff had a hard time accepting the fact I decided not to give coffee by default to guests without asking. She thought it was a serious management mistake (!), even when I was dealing with foreign gaijin.

lol

I got her to ASK them when they came in, give them a choice of coffee, tea or Japanese tea, and then serve if they want it. I think that systems works just fine!

Definitely best Mina, nothing I hate more than just getting shit plonked down in front of me whether I liked it or not, a-la izakaya service charge style!

Do you run a hotel/guest house?

mina2 - awesome! That is how customer service should be.

I love good coffee. Have my own commercial coffee machine at home - and fully stocked to make pretty much anything you can find on a good coffee shop menu. But when you drink good coffee you drink a lot less of it. 4 cups a day is my max, but I do sometimes have none.

Also developed a love for all things tea recently - new tea merchant opened at my favourite shopping centre called T2. They have some seriously funky tea's there!!! Yum!

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT - DON'T DRINK IT.

Your body should not be forced to endure rubbish.

I just today visited my parents (working in their garden for the day). They drink instant coffee (and quite ordinary stuff too!) I drink it because I don't want to go through the day without some caffeine in the system.

When I got home, I made a decent coffee in our plunger. That just about made up for the shit!

We take a plunger and decent grounds with us whenever we travel.

A local coffee shop has the motto "Life's too short to drink crook coffee!" I agree wholeheartedly!

Coffee - love the stuff - espresso, latte, cappucino, black, with milk, large or small. Funny thing is, before I came to Japan, I hated the stuff. :S

Also just a quick heads up, for those that like coffee, and sorry SJ if this is not allowed, but Kaldi Import Shop has 50% coffee until the end of today (Sunday 26th)

RB - me too.. Now I am a cappuccino addict. Thats not Japans influence though, more starbucks.

thanks for tip on kaldis! (i think its allowed as long as u dont throw in a link or own the place).

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I like coffee but hate Starbucks, I think their coffee is rather bland and tasteless. Out of the big coffee shop chains I prefer Tully's

I agree. But, in Japan Starbucks is the only non-smoking coffee house. That for me says a lot which is why I quite often end up going there.

bout to make a cappucchino friend
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I like coffee but hate Starbucks, I think their coffee is rather bland and tasteless. Out of the big coffee shop chains I prefer Tully's

I agree. But, in Japan Starbucks is the only non-smoking coffee house. That for me says a lot which is why I quite often end up going there.

bout to make a cappucchino friend

just away to make a cup myself!!
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
best coffee - Seattles Best IMO

A friend sent me some of that and it just didn't do it for me.... Nice, but no kapow...

Now, for me it is "Vittoria Oro Cafe Blend", ground just before use and served as a long black. Occassionally as a Cap, Latte or flat white for the morning, but mostly black.