Originally Posted By: MikePow
Niseko Resort Area, Hokkaido
Thursday 25 September 2008

It's pissing down and cold in the village today.

Can't see Yotei but I'm guessing that there's snow falling up there.

1 deg drop in temp for each 100m gain in elevation (approx) would mean a +10 deg C temp in the village at 300m would equate to a -5 deg C temp at 1800m.

Mike I'm not actually that confident that it will be snowing up top today. The current temp at Nakayama toge is 9 deg and it's around 900m. The 1 deg per 100m is the dry adiabatic lapse rate (0% humidity). There's a little low pressure system just to the west of us and the winds are coming out of the SW currently. The air is very humid so the lapse rate is probably closer to 0.5 deg per 100m. So I reckon it's around 2-3 deg at the summit of Youtei. The low pressure system will start moving to the east of us tomorrow and we should see the winds switch around to more northerly and the snow return over the weekend.
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be wrong, Tubby Beaver, I do not study these things and don't claim to know everything and be right all the time (enough disclaimers?!).... but, the first snow I usually notice is on top of Makihata / Hakkai-san in my region. And I would think Myoko.

In terms of resorts, it'll be Kagura I suppose.

Check ザ・Report

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/yuzawa-now-archive.php?month=11&year=2007

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/naeba-now-archive.php?month=11&year=2007

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Originally Posted By: MikePow
Thursday 25 September 2008

It's pissing down and cold in the village today.

Can't see Yotei but I'm guessing that there's snow falling up there.

1 deg drop in temp for each 100m gain in elevation (approx) would mean a +10 deg C temp in the village at 300m would equate to a -5 deg C temp at 1800m.

Mike I'm not actually that confident that it will be snowing up top today. The current temp at Nakayama toge is 9 deg and it's around 900m. The 1 deg per 100m is the dry adiabatic lapse rate (0% humidity). There's a little low pressure system just to the west of us and the winds are coming out of the SW currently. The air is very humid so the lapse rate is probably closer to 0.5 deg per 100m. So I reckon it's around 2-3 deg at the summit of Youtei. The low pressure system will start moving to the east of us tomorrow and we should see the winds switch around to more northerly and the snow return over the weekend.

Bloody spoilsport sadface
  • SnowJapan Admin

It has got really chilly in the evenings here (in Gunma). Around 12 degrees a few hours ago when I was out just before but it was raining heavily, felt almost wintery-ish.

Originally Posted By: SJForums
It has got really chilly in the evenings here (in Gunma). Around 12 degrees a few hours ago when I was out just before but it was raining heavily, felt almost wintery-ish.

Its funny how the drop in temperature here makes you think its really cold, after all 12 degrees would be normal for October in Scotland, I don't think of that as a cold temperature, but having being here I bet if I felt 12 degrees I'd swear that snow was just minutes away!!! lol
  • SnowJapan Moderator

Totally not wanting to dampen any excitement at all, can we please remember our links policy on here - links to your company/hotels website/blog suddenly aren't ok with the first snow. The Yotei webcam is presented on our site, so here it is:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/webcam/hokkaido/yotei.html

Thanks.

Saturday 27 September 2008

Deluge overnight, and continuing as I write. Healthy covering of snow overnight on the peak of Yotei.

Main gully white.

Socked in. Will try to get pics if it clears.

Originally Posted By: SJ#4
But for some reason it is not showing there, so in this case here it is

http://www.niseko-ta.jp/index.php?id=94

We'll try and sort it out.

Seeing the pic reminded me of a story:

I took the bus from Kutchan back once and ended up at Niseko station and remembered thinking to myself HTF am I gonna get back to my hotel from here?? lol I was walking around with shopping bags looking like a lost puppy when a woman asked me if I needed help. I said that I needed to know how to get back to Hirafu. She said shed take me back since she was heading to Higashiyama anyways. As we were talking I found out shes the 支é…人s (GM) wife for the Prince Hotel (well since its sold make that past tense). Very kind of her smile

Good times up there, cant wait to go back.