• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
TB, it is free.

cheers, actually after posting I did a search and found it, I also downloaded their disk cleanup software as well, its only a 15 day trial but works fine. I7ll get something else when it runs out.

If your comp seems slow even after defrag, try claening the registry as this is one of the biggest culprits of slow computers.

A program I use once in a while to keep everything sweet and in order is PC Pitstop optimize 2, you have to buy it but well worth it.

It works by scanning all the files on your computer anaylsing them and then tells you what problems there are if any, and give you the chance to decided whether or not you want any adjustments made before it starts.

It will also optimize your internet settings, clean out rubbish files, internet browsing history too if you so wish.

It takes a matter of seconds, I tried it on my old desktop and it made it boot up, shut down and run faster.

It is espcially great for erasing crap that sometime gets downloaded with other packages that slows the boot up.

I forget what it cost, but I think it is only like 20$ or something.

www.pcpitstop.com/store/optimize.asp

Check out the page above, it will scan your comp for free, but if you want it to make any adjustments you have to buy a license key.

I think I mentioned if you got Norton 360 it has defrag built into it, just run it and it will soon sort your drive out.

In general though if you do a regular defrag, ie at once or twice a month for moderate use or maybe once a week or so if you do heavy computing and constantly moving files, then it should only take a very short time no matter which defrag you use.

In general if your drive is less than 25% defraged you not likely to notice much difference in speed after defrag, anymore than you will notice it.

If it still runs slow after defrag, it more likely that your registry has corrupted in files in it.

The windows defrag is fine if used regulary from the start, when you buy the machine, not good for sorting out a heavlily defraged drive later on.

Remember internet clutter, spyware, viruses, partly deleted files, conflicting programs, to many back ground applications running at the same time can all contribute to slowing down a computer.

That is why not just defrag, but a general clean-up once a week should be the go, if you want to keep your computer running like new for 2 or more years.

I usually run defrag, registry clean-up, internet history clean-up and of course scan my computer for viruses every 2 or 3 days or so to keep it running at its optimum.

It may seem like a pain in the back side doing this all the time, but most programs are automated and can be set to run in the back ground at a time when your not using your computer, and once set up requires minimum user input.

Unfortunately, Norton has some issues.

The worst problem I have ever had was because NIS refused to uninstall, and that meant that using any other A/V software was virtually useless.

Norton was once, when Peter Norton owned and developed it, a very good product. It has become hugely bloated and a right royal pain in the bum!

Originally Posted By: thursday
I think you've all missed the plot. The question was "how to de-fag". Now, let's have some ideas.

hahaha...nice one Thurs!! lol

Did it speed up my computer......by a measly 2% according to the after report

Probably more an indication of action, rather than an indication of the actual action, as some of the actions involved do not take as long to happen as the display takes to respond.

Most likely, the actions involved would be reading, moving, verifying of the files to be moved.

Not sure of which application you are talking about, so hard to be specific.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: scouser
All those flashing blue and green and red lights when a defrag is being done.... is that actually "whats happening" (and what exactly is happening?) or is it just bullshit show!?

I pulled a hard disk apart the other day and there were all these little coloured bars on the platter. Quite a surprise really.

you can also do that in Thailand. Instead of them throwing a live chicken onto the range, they can trhow your hard disk.

It was quite disturbing, but also quite a spectacle. Some dude had a .45, held in both hands, and the range people threw in the chicken. SPLATATATATA

Yep it is fun smashing a hard drive to bits with a hammer. I found best way unscrew the cover from one side, get a chisel and then wack it a few times with a nice 4 pounder, it guarantees a nicely broken drive that is impossible for anyone to use or decipher any more!

Using it on a shooting range sounds good too! Have to try that one day.

If you got a vice at home bolted to your bench, how about using your old drive as a strength testing device, just put it in the vice and turn and turn and see how flat you can make it. If you can really squash it flat you must be strong!

This has many advantages :

1. Helps to build your strength and fitness up for the ski season.

2. Environmentally good as it can then be easily recycled

3. Stops snoopy bas+=*>s from dechipering anything from it.

LOL

Sorry that was my attempt at some humor, which most probably failed, but oh well sounded good at the time I wrote it!