is raping me in the azzzzzz (again) Ive gotten pretty used to bending over, but this takes the cake:

They are raising tix prices, regardless if you have paid or not, to cover rising fuel taxes. My flight isnt until the beginning of August, and already I have to fork out more money. This is great. Anybody else taking it up the bum too? I could see if it was added on (actually i cant but just trying to make sense of this) just before my flight due to fuel prices going up, but 6 weeks out still? veryangry horse veryangry

This suxs veryangry And is prolly very illegal, but TIJ rolleyes

How did you find out Creek Boy? I paid up in full ages ago and already have the e-ticket.

They haven't contacted me yet...

Hmmmm.... have they issued your ticket yet?

Like I said I have my e-ticket already she says hoping that might mean she doesn't pay more.

I think CB's point is that he has already paid for his ticket at the prices set back then, its not his fault that prices have increased and surely the company shouldn't be allowed to add on extra charges after the ticket has been paid for in full. I think something like this happened in Britain a couple of years ago

I haven't heard anything. I might just screen my calls from now on lol

I wonder if it is specific airlines? Like rach I also have paid in full and have my e-ticket so as far as I'm concerned No1 contact is finished! (Even more so now!)

Not heard anything here either.

I would be well pissed if I did.

Quote:
you want to travel, you pay for it like the rest of us. Fuel surchages are nothing new, if they've been holding out for so long, then they are foolish.

But he did pay for it!!!

Doesn't mean they should be able to slap extra on once the deal is done.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Deal done, price agreed, paid, ticket issued.
I'm not coughing up another yen.

I'll let you know big-will!

You would think so, in a normal kind of world but - reaching back into the foggy days of law school here - I seem to recall that contracts for carriage aren't actually concluded until you step on board the vehicle, in this case the plane. So, in theory the airline can keep jacking the price, even after issuing the ticket until you actually get on the plane. Customer relations and basic business common sense means it doesn't happen all that often, but they're completely entitled to because simply paying the ticket price doesn't amount to accepting the airline's offer of carriage. You have to get on the plane to do that. You could refuse to pay extra amount and try to get on the plane with the issued ticket and when they prevent you (which they will), you're going to be pushing shitte up hill to win a breach of contract case because you haven't accepted their offer to carry you to the destination in return for payment of the specified price. This is from a common law point of view, god only knows what kind of crazy regulations and legislation Japan has that changes this basic principle.

I haven't read this whole thread but in my experience if you book through the airline direct (eg Qantas) they won't hit you for any extra prices rises. The Agents all have thing in their contracts where they can apparently hit you for the extra taxes, even if you have paid in full.

Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
If you have paid in full and already have a ticket with your name printed on, ie not e-ticket, can they still charge you extra?

Maybe..depends on what the ticket says and what the consumer protection legislation says but absent a clear confirmation on the ticket (fairly unlikely) and decent legislation (in Japan, I wouldn't hold my breath) the answer in common law countries is, yes they can. Because you don't have a contract until you're on the plane - you haven't accepted their offer until you're on the plane. Until that point there is no contract and so they are free to do what they want with the price. The important point is when you, the passenger, accepts the airline's offer - after which point the contract exists and they can't change the price. It isn't when you pay for the ticket, nor is it when you take delivery of the ticket, it is when you get on board the plane. It is just one of those funny quirks of contract law.

Here's the small print:

Even though you agreed on a price for your flight and have paid up in full (including a ton of cash for fuel - you thought that was included!? Duh!) and the cash is in the bank at this end, that means dickshit. Mwahahahaha. We can charge you more. Much more in fact. It's up to us. So if you think you're gonna get on that plane without handing over a wad of cash, think again matey. How much we'll demand from you, not sure yet. We'll decide later. But it'll be lots. So just prepare 'a lot of cash'. (Sucker!)