• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: thursday
the camera on the I4 is only 5meg, that is only a basic 4R print.
Glad it's a phone and not a camera.

4" x 6"....

5 mp is better than that.... surely.... isn't it.

Photographers help out here...

Much more depends on the resolution of the imaging sensor than the size of the display. And then on the algorithms used to interpolate the actual pixels into the virtual ones.

Originally Posted By: Tex
English please. wink

I thought any 5mp camera would be good for a realistic A4 sized print at least

Considering it wasn't all THAT long ago that a 5mp camera was a big deal...
grandpa
Originally Posted By: Tex
English please. wink

OK, the image in a digital camera is "detected" by a sensor which has a number of discrete sensing items in it. Each one creates an actual 'picture element' (the derivation of pixel).

The number of these detectors determines the actual pixel rating of the camera.

To get higher pixel counts, some camera manufacturers use software to interpret the actual image, and generate intermediate "pseudo-pixels" by a process called interpolation - literally putting a calculated point between two known points.

Interpolation algorithms (how the software works) are varied, and the quality of the image is very much dependent on the quality of the algorithm.

With cameras getting smaller (and especially being an afterthought in other functionalities - like in a phone) the quality of the algorithm becomes quite important because they cannot keep putting higher actual pixel count sensors in there - that would detract from the unit's primary function.

So ... Tex, wakarimasuka? wink

Interesting article the other day. The smartphones actually cost as much to make as they are selling it for.

I4 costs $185 to make, yet retails for $199. Meaning there is a big big mega contract between apple and the carriers.

Same in fact for the androids. Samsung thingie, forgot name, don't care, costs $155 to make or thereabouts and they sell for almost cost.

Originally Posted By: thursday
Interesting article the other day. The smartphones actually cost as much to make as they are selling it for.

I4 costs $185 to make, yet retails for $199. Meaning there is a big big mega contract between apple and the carriers.

Same in fact for the androids. Samsung thingie, forgot name, don't care, costs $155 to make or thereabouts and they sell for almost cost.

lol That would be the Samsung Galaxy S - I care coz it is my phone wink - but I got mine for $0 on 24month plan - the plan is cheaper than I was paying elsewhere - they must be SLUGGING customers on phone call costs.

Although I did have the unfortunate incident of *bill shock* last week - despite putting an internet/data ban on all the kids phones some moron at Optus reset the 13yr olds phone. Knowing it was blocked, he assumed that Optus had upgraded his package to include the currently heavily advertised free facebook twitter google blah blah - well it wasn't. And he has been bored with his broken leg. So he was actually using this new *free* service.
$5000 worth of data he used on the current bill.
veryshocked
Sounds like a lot - but it doesn't even come close to a Gig that he actually used, and I have 2 Gig included in my plan - so not a lot really. BUT it was charged at a horrendous rate.

The Optus "Customer Service" (I use the term loosely) kindly offered to reduce the data to $500 for this bill, but tough luck about the next bill... (which is already under way). I laughed. Not when it was YOUR mistake buddy!

Still unresolved.

Id say this is probably how they make up the shortfall.
Especially seeing as the Customer Service fellow initially threatened that if I did not accept and pay that day the $500 worth of Data that they would escalate it and I would be charged the full $5000 (even on the mailed out bill they had reduced it to $1000). I think a lot of people would panic and just pay the $500.