Some of you may remember me, the American A-hole, the instigator and propagator of frivilous crap.

Well, a lot of that had to do with a big knee injury I suffered last year. I was not a happy camper. I just had surgery on the thing 3 weeks ago. Good news is I can still do snow sports, bad news is I have to take it easy. I'm not familiar with the medical terms, but basically, I have no cartilage left in my right knee. I'm looking at a replacement in 2 to 3 years and I'm not even 30 yet (another downfall of American football)

So, this very night, I went out and bought a (goddman) snowboard. Here's my reasoning: If I put skis on, I can't be gentle. I'll hit the jumps, hit the park, go off the cornices, do the steeps, etc.... Give me a snowboard and a helmet, my legs should be safe and I won't do the inane stupid shite that I usually do. I'll be in a learning stage. I've done it before so I know how to protect myself, but I won't do the dumb stuff that I used to do on skis because I'll be 'a beginnner' I guess.

Bear with me if I have some stupid questions. I think I can figure it out on my own, but may need some help \:\) I bought a shitty board, but got some flow bindings, no boots yet - none i could find in 31cm up here. My plan is to board everywhere up here except Hakkoda and Hachimantai. I can't miss those places doing what I do best.

So.......any advice on the flows? What should I look out for snowboarding (besides toe side)?

Snow on the Hakkodas - it's getting near people!

Dont want to rain on your parade fellow geologist and dog lover but......I do both regularly (ski and board) and while reducing your chances of a nasty wrenching ligament severing twisting that can happen with skiis, a snowboard is still very hard on your knees.

I think it is one of the great misconceptions of this world. Take care

> What should I look out for snowboarding

What, apart from skiers? ;\)

What kamo says is right - still very hard on the knees. If you haven't already, I'd look into a sturdy brace for your right knee at least.

Also, I find that if you have a softer boot, the punishment of riding will go more to your ankles than your knees, although it doesn't do much for your style. After I got stiffer Burton boots, my ankles stopped hurting and my knees gave me hell. But riding was more fun.

But whatever, take it easy.

My ligaments are 100% so I'm not worried about that. It's basically the banging around on my legs I get from skiing. I'll catch on quick, but hopefully it won't be so bad. I hope. I'm going to try it at least. Thanks for the input though. If it really is that bad, I'll just buy one of those bike thingies \:\)

kamoshika - freaky year for quakes up here! What's the deal? Any insights? 7.1, 8.3, 7.4, 6.8, 6.4, 6.1 and a ton of 5 to sixes. My boss who is gaijin but has been here for 17 years says there have been more big quakes the last 3 months than he has felt that whole time he's lived here. Been a wild ride up north lately.

Plucky as I have observed you need to find a good stance that doesnt put presure on those babies. Can you well and truly control yourself...what if you get good fast are you going to throw backs off the lip?

Hope you can stick around all season this time. That Football is pretty hard your body. I was lucky to be 5'7 and 160 pounds my position would have been water boy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
> What should I look out for snowboarding

What, apart from skiers? ;\)

What kamo says is right - still very hard on the knees. If you haven't already, I'd look into a sturdy brace for your right knee at least.

Also, I find that if you have a softer boot, the punishment of riding will go more to your ankles than your knees, although it doesn't do much for your style. After I got stiffer Burton boots, my ankles stopped hurting and my knees gave me hell. But riding was more fun.

But whatever, take it easy.
Hey man,

thanks for the advice. Too bad my ankles are all messed up too! \:\) I'm gonna give this boarding thing a shot. There is no way I will be kept out of the mountains so I have to explore what I can and go from there.

I have a brace already so I'm covered there. I'm more worried about the really cold days at Hakkoda and having that affect my knee/joints. I'll deal with it when it comes I guess.

Hell, I just can't wait for the season to start! Hoping to hit the Nagano area around New Years! I'll be asking for advice on that later \:\)

Thanks again guys
 Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
Plucky as I have observed you need to find a good stance that doesnt put presure on those babies. Can you well and truly control yourself...what if you get good fast are you going to throw backs off the lip?

Hope you can stick around all season this time. That Football is pretty hard your body. I was lucky to be 5'7 and 160 pounds my position would have been water boy.
I really am going to take it easy this year. In a way, it's good. I can film a lot more than I have and make a lot better product this season. I just recently finished up my film from last season and only had about 10 minutes of good, quality boarding/skiing. So, I am looking forward to that.

I'm a decent athlete so I should be able to control myself okay. I've boarded before, so it will just be a refresher for the basics and then work on getting better. I bought a tool last night along with my bindings and board and I always carry a pack with me so I should be set for in-field adjustments. Damn, I just want to go!

Hey, 5'7" and 160 - good cornerback size for the Oregon Ducks \:\) Sorry, inside joke - to myself I guess \:\) The basketball, rugby and track didn't help me much either. Ami Football and rugby were brutal though! At least my ears are still in tact!

I played the ruff sport of Hockey but I never got creamed.

Also the hard sport of baseball a catcherbut not long enough to damage anything.

Cross country running now that was punishing I dont know how I didnt get injury playing that.

PS post your VID

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:

PS post your VID
How do I do that? It's like 400MB. I got 10 minutes of skiing and 22 minutes of just me and my friends having fun in Japan. That's gotta be wayyyyy too big to post here. I do have all of the clips though.

You chose wisely...to make the switch. I made the switch 10 years ago after my 2nd knee surgery (1st and only reconstruction). I've had a total of 5 knee surgeries on my left knee(cartilage removal, reconstruction with patellar tendon and cartilage removal/repair, the rest were clean-ups) but none have been due to snowboarding. Too much football and then rugby...but man is it a blast!

Anyway, my train of thought was that with two legs strapped to the same platform and working together there would be less chance for injury. Although the first time you are stuck to a board with both feet can be very disconcerting and restrictive, once you get going (speed is your friend) it all comes together. I would have to say that 10 years and a few hundred snow days later... my theory holds true.

As for a stance, don't go freestyle i.e. +15 deg front with negative back foot angle, that puts crazy strain on the knees. Use a more free-ride type of stance: +15-20 front and 0 or +5 on thee rear. This also puts you in a more aggressive forward looking mode, while also being stable enough for landing big hits. I was a skier for 17 years, so I prefer a stiffer boot, better response... all snowboard boots (except hard boots, of course...duh) are softer than ski boots, so there is not a tremendous amount of stress transfered to the knees.

The key is conditioning...after physical therapy, your surgically repaired knee may actually be stronger than your good knee, but it will fatigue quicker if not conditioned. Biking and swimming are good for this, they work the legs individually. Your major concern is stability... without full meniscus (cartilage) your knee may feel a little unstable, so you have to build up the stabilizer muscles around it, not just quads and hams, but the deeper muscles. For this, I recommend a balance board, such as a Vew-Do brand balance board. These work those intrinsic muscles and also are good for dryland balnce training and will help you get the feeling of a snow board. Get some snowboard videos hop on your balance board and rip it up in your living room. You can also advance on the board as you get comfortable and pull skate style tricks. After you get used to the board, try doing squats on it 1st with no weights, then with dumb bells. I've used this method, and I've ridden for the last 8 years without a brace... and I don't need a new knee yet.

As for that: GET A SECOND OPINION!!1 You do not want a knee replacement at 30... that would mean youd have to got through that as many as 4-5 more times in your life time. They already grow meniscus in pietry dishes and will be doing transplants really soon if they aren't doing them already. Also, until then, look into a thing called Synvisc (its a product from chicken cartilage that is injected into your meniscus)its sounds sick, I know, but it's doing good things. Also go out and get a bottle of Glucosamine-chondroitin pills. They work for cartilage health.

I'm sorry this is so long, but if your serious about getting out there, this has worked for me.

Peace-

-Stump

Pedro - I surf year-round. Got the suits for it, so no biggy. The surf is never pau \:D

Stumpalama - It sounds like our stories echo one another! I've just got a bit of catching up to do with you! My thoughts exactly on why I switched over to boarding. I'm rehabbing really hard right now so hopeuflly I will have it strong enough by the time the season starts. I have been using an Indo Board for over a year, mainly for surf training, but it is coming in really handy for rehabbing the knee also. I'm glad I have it. Thanks for the story and info!

Plucky man..good to see yor back.

Its a funny thought, you on a snowboard..I remember last year when I was new to the forum and you weren't the most lovable person to beginner snowboarders.

Heres a reminder

Quote:
All I have to say is - Get the F*ck out of my way! Goddam they are clueless. I have the utmost respect for good boarders. I love to go out with them and they love to go out with me. We have fun. But there are so many Johny-come-lately's that it is hard to ignore.

Lets look out for him on the slopes, help him out when he needs it, show him how to ride a poma, keep him out of the powder etc \:D

Only joking man, you'll love it as much as skiing, maybe more. I do. \:\)

Definately get a brace.

Don't use a duck stance because more pressure is put on your knees.

As a skier you should pick it up easier because you'll understand how to work the edge too.

Good luck with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by neversummer:
Plucky man..good to see yor back.

Its a funny thought, you on a snowboard..I remember last year when I was new to the forum and you weren't the most lovable person to beginner snowboarders.

Heres a reminder

Quote:
All I have to say is - Get the F*ck out of my way! Goddam they are clueless. I have the utmost respect for good boarders. I love to go out with them and they love to go out with me. We have fun. But there are so many Johny-come-lately's that it is hard to ignore.
Lets look out for him on the slopes, help him out when he needs it, show him how to ride a poma, keep him out of the powder etc \:D

Only joking man, you'll love it as much as skiing, maybe more. I do. \:\)

Definately get a brace.
Don't use a duck stance because more pressure is put on your knees.
As a skier you should pick it up easier because you'll understand how to work the edge too.

Good luck with it.
Hehe! Yeah, I was a tad bitter last year for various reasons but mostly due to injuring my knee badly last November. Bad time to get hurt. Also, the fact that I couldn't receive adequate medical care on this God forsaken military base really got me pissed! Hey, it only took a year to get fixed!

No worries about watching for me on the slopes. I bought one of those inflatable Sumo suits to wear while I board. If I fall down, I'll bounce right back up! If I run into someone - no worries - I'll be all soft and cushie!

Nah, I'm really looking forward to boarding this year. It should be a great time. I'll still ski at my favorite places of course, but always have my board along with me. Now if I could just find some boots to fit me.....

PS - the Hakkodas have been looking nice and white the past two weeks from town. I don't know if I'd label it as a base per se, but it does get the juices flowing for the season to start!
 Quote:
Originally posted by ILiveToSki:
Why is snowboarding known as the dark side?

Does this mean that ultimitly Skiing will win in the end with some sort of Huge Death Star explosion or am I just drawing comparisons out of thin air.
I grappled with this for quite some time and came to the conclusion - 'crossing over to the light side' just didn't have much punch.

sorry about that.

I think when you go that way you proclaim that "I have seen the light!!" for maximum effect. Buts thats when someone takes up skiing so you were right not to use that expression in this case.

Plucky-

We've probably chewed some of the same dirt...I hope my $.02 made sense. If I can enlighten just one 2 planker to the virtues of the true edge then I may also save them the same torment I suffered through too many knee surgerys. Hmmm taking on an uncomfortable Biblical tone...

Ahhh, but you have yet to have the truly religious experience of one solid edge floating on feet of powder with nothing more than a subtle shift of weight to guide the board. Or perhaps, more appropriately, it's more of a luke Skywalker, Jedi thang. Either way definately drop a me line. Good luck with the rehab and keep us updated.

Peace-

-Stump

Ok this is going to sound strange but have you tried Telemark skiing? It's actually better for your knees (and the rest of your body) than skiing or Boarding. And if you're already a good skier, this should be fairly easy. Not as easy as learning as snowboarding but easy nonetheless. Not knocking snowboarding here either...just a thought.