Not Japan related, but my friend last week skied into a tree. He's in hospital now with the following wrong with him:

2 broken legs

1 broken arm

Fractured ribs

A few head injuries (but luckily nothing that won't heal)

Very bad headache

Nasty

Poor guy.

A relative of ours skied into a tree and snapped the ball off her hip joint just before she emigrated to Australia (temporarily - they went back to the UK after 5 years). I don't think she has skied since - which is a shame. I hope it doesn't put your friend off for life.

I'll send on the comments! He is doing surprisingly well actually, keeping cheerful. I think he is enjoying the time off work, if that makes sense!

Would have been a shorter list to give the bones that weren't broken/damaged! Sounds like he's on the road to recovery - and will have a story to tell in later years that few of us do (mind you, he's welcome to it!). Here's to a speedy recovery and a lot more skiing in future.

Gotta give way to trees, is the point! ;\)

ouch! I made love to tree a few seasons back, I was pretty lucky to get away with a nasty deep bruise on my thigh/hamstring. He must have been nailing it speedwise to sustain such injuries, tell your mate to take it easy and be well!

Out of curiousity, was he wearing a helmet?

He wasn't which he now regrets. He wasn't actually going that fast, he basically lost control (and got faster) trying to avoid a young child who was coming in unannounced suddenly at an angle.

Poor guy.

He did the right thing avoiding a kid (who is always going to be unpredictable - nature of the beast!) and got massacred himself. I hope the parents of the kid helped him out - called ski patrol etc!!!

I didn't wear a helmet my first 2 snow trips - my excuse was I wasn't going fast enough to need it, it didn't feel right and threw off my balance - and I needed every bit of balance I could get. I am now a CONVERT. I will not go out on the slopes without a lid - I will encourage everyone I ride with to wear one, and advise anyone who asks to wear one. It is not likley to be you and your actions that lead to the skid lid being taken for a test ride....it is most likely the out of control kiddy you try and avoid, or the out of control newbie adult who cleans you up from behind!

Or as a friend found - the young hooligan showing off by flying into the lift queue, hitting a slick patch and not being able to stop before taking out half the queue!

Broken bones will heal. Legs, arms, ribs - while painful and possibly life altering - they can heal - bones repair themselves. Brains that swell and bleed do not. There is no coming back from a traumatic brain injury. Look after your heads, people!

That is nasty.

Not related to snow, but a friend of mine had a car crash into him last month when he was riding his bike - broken leg. He was just about to move back to the US as well to a new job, it has really screwed up a lot of his plans.