Just a useless post to get my 100 post!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup puff pastry, I had a butter chicken pie today, there was more sauce than chicken but the pastry was REALLY good.

What is Wigan Pies?

There was a great New Zealand pie competition today! I don't know who won what yet, but apparently the number of Chinese immigrants who entered was greater than the total number of entrants who weren't Chinese!

Quote:
Organisers of a world-famous pie-eating contest have been forced to introduce
tests for performance-enhancing drugs.

Quote:
Controversy was caused in 2005 when pies were imported from nearby Farnworth,
Bolton and local Wigan pies were sidelined

Quote:
Wigan Pie Eaters are one of the longest established bike clubs in the area. A
big friendly welcome awaits you!

Quote:
After claims last year of cough linctus in the gravy, Wigan event sees anger and
a walkout over switch to Adlington pies.

Urban dictionary

Quote:
1. pie-eater

Person from Wigan. Nothing to do with the large number of pies eaten in Wigan but to do with a miner's strike in the 1920's when all the pits in Wigan and Leigh went on strike. The Wiganers went back and broke the strike, the "Leythers" continued to strike and got better pay and conditions. Therefore the Wiganer's had to "eat humble pie"... so it's a term of abuse from Leythers to Wiganers. The hostility between the two towns stretches back hundreds of years to the civil war when Wigan was Royalists and Leigh were Parliamentarian and continues to this day.

I don't want to eat humble pie from Farnworth on a bike whilst in a competition surrounded by pie-eaters on steroids

So long as "meat" means actual meat and not "other body parts of the animal" (such as ears, scrotal sac etc) like the law allows in Aus.

the massed produced stuff. After the carcass has been cleared of the various namable cuts, it is blasted with ball bearings to remove the rest of the meat. The bearings are removed by mangnetism further down the line.

For really neat mince, buy yourself a ribeye and mince it your self. I have this hand turned mincer which is GREAT!!

mechanically recovered meat (i.e. chicken nuggets) is also obtained by water blasting the bones (the meat is washed extensively to remove any flavour later anyway, and flavour is added back) or sometimes with beef they also grind the carcass down to the bone with some kind of grinder.

YUM!