How really do the Aussie ski tourists really act in Japan???

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would imagine that one goon (or a group of goons)with a couple of magic markers could scribble that graffiti all by thier lonesome, and I would not think that thier actions are reflective of all Australians, regardless of thier position on whaling.

I would also quite comfortably state that the majority of Aussie are not out mulesing or 'interferring' with the flock - or, in fact, even playing Quokka Soccer.

The majority of us travel to Japan with respect and enjoy our taste of Japan and fabulous snow with grace.

The majority of Australians are perfectly happy to see their country de-forested, salinated and turned into desert, their indiginous mammals made extinct while they light up the barbie and sink a few tinnies.

At the same time, the average Aussie is happy to send iron ore and natural gas from Port Headland to the same port somewhere in Asia, to be turned into steel. As long as it doesn't distract from the long weekend.

Aussies are happy to criticise the fly-speck in the neighbours backyard while ignoring the stinking fly-blown turd in their own.

Aussies can look forward to expanding deserts, continuing salination, lower crop productivity and more indiginous mammal extinctions. Australia tops the world in all these championships.

Mamabear, I was sacked from the CSIRO pointing this out.

Getting rich by farking the country is Australia's choice. I prefer it here. Mountains, forest and snow, clear rivers and fish.

Next time you go SW look through the screen of trees and see desert. Why the pretence?

How would you like to have the skin of your arse cut out without anaesthetic? It's called mulseing.

Australians are very big on criticising the Yellow People.

A lot of those issues were created long ago by our English forefathers and they are only begining to be addressed now Soubs.

>Mamabear, I was sacked from the CSIRO pointing this out.,<

How long ago was that?

Forests? Japan? Do you mean forests of concrete?

You are right in saying we are not in a position to lecture Japan on environmental issues though.

In fact !

If we could just eradicate, foxes, rabbits, hares, pigs, goats, donkeys, camels, feral cats, cane toads, carp, bitue bush, and then replant all the trees that the English settlers chopped down.........then the "Make the world England" policy would only be viewed by our children in history books, instead of living the nightmare we do today.

;\)

Originally Posted By: oo
Here's what babelfish translates that as

At the ski site of Hokkaido Asahikawa city, the picture which is seen from inside the gondola, as the whale was drawn and "TABENAIDE" (did not eat and) scribbling such that you can attach the alphabetical character large number being found understood. From contents and the like, there is a possibility the foreigner who opposes to the Japanese investigation whaling writing. Recently, because the sightseer increases from foreign country such as Australia, voice of the authorized personnel pannelled door puzzlement has risen.

As for scribbling being found, private ski site "cam chair key lynx" of Asahikawa city. According to the place where the ski site director talked to J-CAST news, a certain scribbling, in the part such as the wall the gondola yellow, was written on the size about of 10 centimeters with the magic of black and green color. The picture of the cartoon wind which is seen as the whale which floats on the wave is drawn, the whale "TABENAIDE" has become the composition which is appealed. Scribbling, among the gondolas of 4 passengers who is 103 units, was written on also 62 units above half truly. The Hokkaido newspaper announced the information, with the article of 2008 February 22 date. Just this mass scribbling, someone how writing? According to the director, focusing on 08 year 1 end of the month scribbling was found. Is not the everyone same, but you say that it is kind of scribbling which is similar. If we assume that thing scribbling of 60 or more is written with 1, it was seen that considerable labor catches, whether or not work of the identical person also the director "how twirled the combining and the neck which are" concerning. Possibility of the Japanese is not zero, but you say that there is a possibility the skiers from the foreign country writing from contents and the like. In Hokkaido recently, the sightseer from the foreign country is increased rapidly. As for foreign visit person of 06, approximately 60 ten thousand people of 5 times that of 10 years ago. Especially, the Niseko ski site and the like which is known with snow quality of worldwide highest level being Australia, it became large popularity, or more of the almost same 2 ten thousand people as the visitor total from Europe and America visited Hokkaido. And, even in Asahikawa ski site, every month 40? 50 people, season 2? You say that it reached the point where 3% foreigner visits constantly. Propriety of whaling such as here several months and between Japan and Australia has become discussion, but "there is no director, does trouble chummily". Vis-a-vis collection of data, "you do not think exaggeratedly. Without wanting making a noise, you showed the shank "and confusion. Scribbling is a possibility of hitting to container damage crime, but you call accusation to the police that it does not do. Because smell of the thinner remains inside the gondola, we have assumed that you turn off after the business ending in late March. As for trouble such as scribbling which is related to the trouble releasing whaling problem of the Australian human customer, occurring with in addition to? It made in the く of the Hokkaido sight-seeing and the person in charge of propulsion bureau, "heard the trouble with whaling problem, for the first time", that you are surprised. Concerning the influence with scribbling, "you just say, without being able to comment that we want coming to many foreigners as much as possible, the shank" it had been perplexed in answering. Don't you think? the loss finned ray of adventure center President Niseko which introduces Hokkaido to Australia, in collection of data of J-CAST news, "trouble and the like with whaling problem you have not heard. So, the newspaper was read, but the foreigner has been decided it spoke kana "and thought that why it scribbles. As for trouble it is not doing, with future international interchange as for insecurity not having come out? Especially, as for Niseko, from Australia which becomes the urgent spearhead of whaling problem, many sightseers visit. As for same area largest ski site "Glan ヒラフ", according to the Tokyu resort service which is managed, the skier 2? As for 3 tenths you say that with the foreigner, the Australian person occupies also the 9 tenths. Concerning whaling problem, at the same company, with "as for the Japanese the person who cannot speak English skillfully to be many, because large portion of the Australian person cannot speak Japanese, as for such a story you speak with that it does not do". Concerning scribbling, you think that "it is perhaps the mere mischievous writing. Only the Japanese け the whaling opposite person, being to think that you do not come to Japan, "with sees in viewing and truth. Simply, the authorized personnel who leaks insecurity it is. As for the Japanese manager of certain accommodations of Niseko, "from the lodging customer of the Australian person, as for story of whaling without coming out, the shank. Me myself the green piece and the like being too selfish, it has antipathy, but it is complicated feeling from standpoint of sight-seeing promotion ", that it leaked. On the one hand, the Australian human manager of the Niseko accommodations where confesses, the Australian human customer occupies 5 tenths or more, when the Japanese whaling becomes discussion. Because "with native country news of whaling it has come out hard, ' as for the Japanese that still eating the whale ' way it has interest, the shank. ' As for the whale although numbers are few, whether why you have caught ' that. Because the Japanese staff it is, you say that "with another side which says various things, you understand also the Japanese circumstance via the discussion. "Therefore as for the Japanese government and the fisherman work does being, the normal Japanese, unless the whale must be made important, understands that you think that, it seems that" most you say that, even then they are the circumstances where still, the reserve remains.

You dont need me, I stand by this \:\) This is spot on \:\)
 Originally Posted By: oo
Here's what babelfish translates that as

At the ski site of Hokkaido Asahikawa city, the picture which is seen from inside the gondola, as the whale was drawn and "TABENAIDE" (did not eat and) scribbling such that you can attach the alphabetical character large number being found understood. From contents and the like, there is a possibility the foreigner who opposes to the Japanese investigation whaling writing. Recently, because the sightseer increases from foreign country such as Australia, voice of the authorized personnel pannelled door puzzlement has risen.

As for scribbling being found, private ski site "cam chair key lynx" of Asahikawa city. According to the place where the ski site director talked to J-CAST news, a certain scribbling, in the part such as the wall the gondola yellow, was written on the size about of 10 centimeters with the magic of black and green color. The picture of the cartoon wind which is seen as the whale which floats on the wave is drawn, the whale "TABENAIDE" has become the composition which is appealed. Scribbling, among the gondolas of 4 passengers who is 103 units, was written on also 62 units above half truly. The Hokkaido newspaper announced the information, with the article of 2008 February 22 date. Just this mass scribbling, someone how writing? According to the director, focusing on 08 year 1 end of the month scribbling was found. Is not the everyone same, but you say that it is kind of scribbling which is similar. If we assume that thing scribbling of 60 or more is written with 1, it was seen that considerable labor catches, whether or not work of the identical person also the director "how twirled the combining and the neck which are" concerning. Possibility of the Japanese is not zero, but you say that there is a possibility the skiers from the foreign country writing from contents and the like. In Hokkaido recently, the sightseer from the foreign country is increased rapidly. As for foreign visit person of 06, approximately 60 ten thousand people of 5 times that of 10 years ago. Especially, the Niseko ski site and the like which is known with snow quality of worldwide highest level being Australia, it became large popularity, or more of the almost same 2 ten thousand people as the visitor total from Europe and America visited Hokkaido. And, even in Asahikawa ski site, every month 40? 50 people, season 2? You say that it reached the point where 3% foreigner visits constantly. Propriety of whaling such as here several months and between Japan and Australia has become discussion, but "there is no director, does trouble chummily". Vis-a-vis collection of data, "you do not think exaggeratedly. Without wanting making a noise, you showed the shank "and confusion. Scribbling is a possibility of hitting to container damage crime, but you call accusation to the police that it does not do. Because smell of the thinner remains inside the gondola, we have assumed that you turn off after the business ending in late March. As for trouble such as scribbling which is related to the trouble releasing whaling problem of the Australian human customer, occurring with in addition to? It made in the く of the Hokkaido sight-seeing and the person in charge of propulsion bureau, "heard the trouble with whaling problem, for the first time", that you are surprised. Concerning the influence with scribbling, "you just say, without being able to comment that we want coming to many foreigners as much as possible, the shank" it had been perplexed in answering. Don't you think? the loss finned ray of adventure center President Niseko which introduces Hokkaido to Australia, in collection of data of J-CAST news, "trouble and the like with whaling problem you have not heard. So, the newspaper was read, but the foreigner has been decided it spoke kana "and thought that why it scribbles. As for trouble it is not doing, with future international interchange as for insecurity not having come out? Especially, as for Niseko, from Australia which becomes the urgent spearhead of whaling problem, many sightseers visit. As for same area largest ski site "Glan ヒラフ", according to the Tokyu resort service which is managed, the skier 2? As for 3 tenths you say that with the foreigner, the Australian person occupies also the 9 tenths. Concerning whaling problem, at the same company, with "as for the Japanese the person who cannot speak English skillfully to be many, because large portion of the Australian person cannot speak Japanese, as for such a story you speak with that it does not do". Concerning scribbling, you think that "it is perhaps the mere mischievous writing. Only the Japanese け the whaling opposite person, being to think that you do not come to Japan, "with sees in viewing and truth. Simply, the authorized personnel who leaks insecurity it is. As for the Japanese manager of certain accommodations of Niseko, "from the lodging customer of the Australian person, as for story of whaling without coming out, the shank. Me myself the green piece and the like being too selfish, it has antipathy, but it is complicated feeling from standpoint of sight-seeing promotion ", that it leaked. On the one hand, the Australian human manager of the Niseko accommodations where confesses, the Australian human customer occupies 5 tenths or more, when the Japanese whaling becomes discussion. Because "with native country news of whaling it has come out hard, ' as for the Japanese that still eating the whale ' way it has interest, the shank. ' As for the whale although numbers are few, whether why you have caught ' that. Because the Japanese staff it is, you say that "with another side which says various things, you understand also the Japanese circumstance via the discussion. "Therefore as for the Japanese government and the fisherman work does being, the normal Japanese, unless the whale must be made important, understands that you think that, it seems that" most you say that, even then they are the circumstances where still, the reserve remains.

I didn't know Master Yoda was a journalist!! lol.gif

thurs,

As an aussie, I and my mates were in gondolas at Kamui. We saw the graffiti and agree it is outrageous. It should not have ever been done and I would hate to think that all Aussies are damned by what has appeared to be done by a couple (at most).

On the other matter, it is Kiwis that shag sheep, not Aussies. \:\( Not sure where the mothers thing comes from.

And, our youth do a damn fine job of graffitiing our own place, don't need anyone else to do it. If I could only catch them, I'd kick their ar$e until their nose bled! sjangry.gif

Please, please, please do not judge the lot of us by the actions of the few!

Agreed JA!

And in return I promise to leave any stereotypes I may have been indoctrinated with at the door as well.

Soubs,

I hear ya - we rape and pillage the land. I am doing my little bit to stop the rot - green shopping bags, walking to the local store more often than driving to the big supermarket, having a home on a large block with masses and masses of plant life (LOL, not that kind of plant!), installing solar electricity panels, and purchasing agroforestry plots (Bluegum and Sandalwood). I can not be held responsible for a few gits that hail from my homeland, just for me.

Originally Posted By: Mantas

>Mamabear, I was sacked from the CSIRO pointing this out.,<

How long ago was that?

It was in 2002. I was involved in a project using Landsat data from 1970 to present to map deforestation. The study was federally funded as part of an Australian comittment to the UN.

The project was designed to exclude areas which had been subject to fire during that period. That means that any part of oz which has burned in the past 30 years doesn`t count in the survey, and results in a significant under-reporting of deforestation. The survey is ongoing, so in another 50 years Oz will be able to exclude it`s entire landmass and report there is no deforestation.

Federal funds mean political interference. The project design was so the pollies could show the world that Oz has clean hands. I objected to this, lost my funding and my job.
 Originally Posted By: soubriquet
How would you like to have the skin of your arse cut out without anaesthetic? It's called mulseing.

And ... the alternative ... walking around for days on end with maggots crawling up yer arse, eating your body starting with the bum and gradually progressing until you lose so much condition (through being unable to eat - or at least to shit) that you die in excruciating pain.

I'm sure the mulesing idea would have some appeal, then!

Trouble with folks like PETA, their agenda is not transparent, but it involves the cessation of ALL 'use' of animals, for food, companionship, work, etc. No domesticated animals at all is their aim. So ... we have, if they are successful, a life as a vegan to look forward to. No pets, mice and rats running around uncontrolled and no ability to manage them.

I sincerely hope I will be well and truly dead before they get their way, At that point, I will care less!

Two points on this story:

1. There's no way of being sure that an Aussie did it...

2. ...whoever DID do it is clearly a d**khead of the first order. Ski resorts don't benefit from whaling and foreign visitors don't benefit from all being regarded as potential vandals or "troublemakers".

Personally I don't give a toss about whaling, I am much more concerned by unsustainable practices such as burning down the rainforests to feed hamburger cows and to grow biofuels that do as much damage to the environment as they prevent.

Incidents like this just fuel xenophobia in this country. Whoever you are - thanks a lot, you MORONS

You're both right. I don`t know it was Aussies, and I`m no fan of PETA either.

There is an alternative to mulesing. It`s called dipping. It means that the sheep need to be mustered though, and the cockies don`t like to do that. But it can be done, so the cockies` agenda isn`t entirely transparent either.

And yes, MORONS please stay at home. Just send your wallets.

Originally Posted By: soubriquet

There is an alternative to mulesing. It`s called dipping. It means that the sheep need to be mustered though, and the cockies don`t like to do that. But it can be done, so the cockies` agenda isn`t entirely transparent either.

I'm not worthy, this is a higher language. confused.gif

Oops. I was speaking Orstrayan.

Sheep tend to get a lot of shit collect in the wool around the arse. Flies lay their eggs in this and the maggots then burrow into the flesh. It`s very unpleasant. In Oz, they cut away the wool-bearing skin as a one-shot remedy for this (mulesing). It works but it`s a very cruel practice.

The alternative is for the farmers (cockies) to round up the sheep 2-3 times a year and run them through a bath of insecticide (dipping). That`s easier said than done when you have 10,000 sheep spread over a million hectares, but they manage to do it at shearing or culling time.

Sorry, dipping is NOT a viable alternative - only effective for a couple of weeks in dry times and way less in wet. And, the insecticides change the properties of the wool somewhat. In addition, the dips are a constant danger to both animals and humans.

Fact is there are alternatives being worked on at the moment. PETA has been chasing around getting buyers to boycott Australian wool, in an effort to FORCE a change that was in the works anyway. Their timeframe is not realistic, given the need for the alternative to be designed, tested in the laboratory, then retested "in the wild".

Assessment at each stage to ensure effectiveness of the treatment against flies is essential, and for that you have to allow some untreated animals (as controls) so the effectiveness of the treatment can be determined compared with no treatment. This takes time. A fact that PETA will not recognise - they expect everything to happen instantaneously.

The dumb broad who is the mover and shaker at PETA needs a good dose of fly strike herself, then we'll see a change in attitude, I guarantee.

skidaisuki,

While you are correct, I saw the graffiti and it did seem to be very much as if it were Aussi in origin. No way to be sure, agreed.

second point - agree totally! Would love to have seen the idiot in process, might have given them something other than whales to think about for a bit!

A lot of farmers practice dipping.

Our "Aunty and Uncle" (really just family friends) have been wheat and sheep farmers forever (although if this year is not a great one they have lost everything!) - and as a child I remember helping them with the dipping - the "Uncle" had me drive the ute around the paddock rounding them up - I was about 10! I was a crap driver at 10!

They still dip thier sheep.

As for the MORONS ... we are in agreement there Soubs and Skidaisuki! WISH THEY WOULD STAY AT HOME (wherever home may be!)

Not that it is really up for discussion, but if we Aussies can eat our Coat of Arms animals (as long as they are not endangered) then if the traditional food of the Japanese is whale - I have no objection ... as long as the practice is kept to sustainable levels. We all know the dangers of unsustainable agriculture and farming now, so changes might need to be made. But on a philosphical level - no objection from me!

Originally Posted By: JA
While you are correct, I saw the graffiti and it did seem to be very much as if it were Aussi in origin. No way to be sure, agreed.

How can you tell it was Aussie in origin? It was just a simple picture. Australia is not the only country to have serious issues about whaling. If you think about the logistics of defacing 62 gondola's and not getting caught it suggests someone who was there for some time. Of the gaijin living in the area the percentage that are Australian is much lower than the percentage of Australian visitors. Of the resident gaijain the main groups are English, American and Australian, all countries who are active in opposing whaling.

The assumption that it was probably an Australian is very much flawed.