How really do the Aussie ski tourists really act in Japan???

Originally Posted By: JA
Egzachary! Mantas - my point precisely. A couple of days in places like Sapporo or Osaka will soon give you the idea how closely these people have to live, and to do that successfully, they have developed a "politeness and deference" process that many from Oz would find hard to get.

Some of us, though, spend a bit of time trying to understand the language, the etiquette and the transport system. (That last is a wake-up call for a "boy from the bush" who can just about manage a 24 hour period in Sidonee IF he has to, but can't wait to be on the road back outa there!)

There is some truth in this but like all generalisations it only goes so far. Politeness can take many forms and what is polite in one place is very rude in another. I've never been in so many overloaded lifts or had idiots back into an already overcrowded trains (not rush hour!) as I did when I was in Japan. The Japanese push, they shove, they don't look where they're going, they get drunk and punchy, they get drunk and loud and obnoxious, it's a brave man who will (try!) to hold his ground against a bus load of obaa-san day trippers, the men think nothing of pissing in public, they insist on trying to ride bicycles along crowded footpaths, they dump rubbish in public places etc. In short, they are completely indifferent to those around them. That comes in part to there being SOOOO many people around them but let's not hold the Japanese up as some sort of paradigm of virtue, because they're not. But then I have an issue with the cultural cringe so many gaijins seem to suffer when their little piece of Japan is discovered by their countrymen.

For their reputation as being pushy, in certain situations I've found the Chinese in Hong Kong to be far more polite and well mannered. Moving here was quite refreshing. It was like, finally, after living in London and Tokyo, here is a place populated by people with some social graces.
  • Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll
For their reputation as being pushy, in certain situations I've found the Chinese in Hong Kong to be far more polite and well mannered. Moving here was quite refreshing. It was like, finally, after living in London and Tokyo, here is a place populated by people with some social graces.

I found the same Rag-Doll ... however cross the border and all bets are off!!! I have never seen anything so shameful as a train load of people converging on the escalator PUSHING a young Mum with baby in stroller out of the way. Hubby and I had to help her get on the escalator, and it took brute force. I can not imagine how long she would have battled without our help!

Yeah, Mama o'er the border is a different world. Many years ago (geez, nearly 20yrs now) I spent some time back packing through deepest darkest China and the total disregard/distain for fellow human beings (or animals or the environment) displayed by the locals was astounding. Equally I experienced numerous examples of friendliness and respect and very humbling generosity. But there were times I was left dumbstruck at the behaviour - very much a literal case of the quick and the dead!

I got the impression that HK enjoys the separation...It struck me as bizarre that we had to pass out of Chinese Immigration and back in through HK immigration crossing the border...bit like doing that to get in to Tassie!

Also the money - HK Dollars and across the border Chinese Yuan....

I thought HK was supposed to be Chinese now.

I am sure Rag-Doll and Thurs will have some thought on this, but it struck me as truly bizarre.

Loved HK though. Looking forward to another getaway soon!

This is about Aussies in Niseko. Get back on topic.

footnote:

"westernised values" is an oxymoron. Look it up. Colonisation? I presume you mean colonialism. What the.... comes from colonialism except generations of resentment?

Land of hope and glory,

masters of the sea....

-----------------------------------------------

Foot note ends. This message was brought to you from CNN; where trash should be called JUNK and the thugs that have been in power for decades have now employed goons.

Originally Posted By: thursday.
This is about Aussies in Niseko. Get back on topic.

footnote:

Land of hope and glory,
masters of the sea....
-----------------------------------------------
Foot note ends. This message was brought to you from CNN; where trash should be called JUNK and the thugs that have been in power for decades have now employed goons.

Mate, no need to get all defensive, I was only asking a question. Not making an assumption.
From what I understand, although I am by know means well versed on HK's history, there was very little there before the British set up shop, and so Colonised the place (the process of which would be colonisation).
Whether you want to believe it or not, HK enjoy's its lifestyle as a direct result of British rule, had it been Chinese at the end of the war then it would have been oppressed like the rest of China under the Communists.

on a side note, I'm hardly the champion of British colonialism

Have met a few aussies on my trips this seasons and have to be honest - most of them were friendly and chilled out. However, did meet two guys on the slopes and they were just bombing on and off, around in and out of people - clearly with no regards for other people's safety around them.

I think as has already been mentioned, the combination of alcohol and extreme sports boosting the adrenalin, doesn't really lend itself to anybody.

All of us have the propensity to be complete d**kheads on the slopes, but most of us have that knowledge of being cut up or almost taking out, so we don't.

It would be interesting to see what those guys would do, if they themselves have a serious accident. Would their attitude change?

Rob,

Probably not - they'd be flat out looking for someone else to place the blame on instead of looking at their own behaviour. And, I don't think that sort of carry on is restricted to Aussies, and certainly not to Aussies in Japan.

January, on Furano's Kitanomine Zone, a mate and I were standing off the centre of the run, facing each other with ski tips almost touching, having a breather and a bit of a yak! Without any warning, a DH on a board screamed through the gap between us, jumped the skis and kept going. It was not as if he couldn't have seen us, we were visible for fully 300metres upslope. If one of us had reached out at the wrong time to point something out with a stock, he'd have broken our arm, the stock and probably a rib or two.

NFI who/what nationality he was, but I'd love to catch up with him sometime when he's over 40 and has a brain cell to spare for thinking with.

Originally Posted By: JA
.... but I'd love to catch up with him sometime when he's over 40 and has a brain cell to spare for thinking with.

lol.gif thumbsup.gif
Some of us find a brain cell that actually works before we hit 40 (not there yet..honest...I got 10.5 months to go!) ... but I do hear you on the age brings wisdom thing.

I think a lot of these people behaving badly will think back with a right old CRINGE at the way they used to behave.

Not 40 yet?? Geeze, I didn't even start skiing until I was about 5 months beyond my 49th birthday!

I KNOW they will, I did! Youth is a terrible waste - so much to do and so little time!

Originally Posted By: yoroshiku onegai shimasu
If you don't mind me asking, how old are you now JA?

Actually, sixty tomorrow - Same birthday as Bill Shakespeare. (and St George's day, too)
 Originally Posted By: Mantas
Your only as old as the woman you feel. \:\)

Makes me just a tad over 50, then!

Now the last 2 posts will confuse the heck out of anyone who desn't know me! (Like everyone here!)

Ta, scouser. Your location is given as "near enough Tokyo" I'm near enough, but not quite next door. Where you at? PM if you want.