How really do the Aussie ski tourists really act in Japan???

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, from a practical view point eating fish, whale, sheep, puddy tat, chicken, bear or cow, etc is all the same if it's sustainable. You eat meat or you don't.

A bunch of years ago NZ had a lot of problems with Taiwanese and Japanese tuna boats poaching tuna within our 200 mile economic protection zone. Nothing worked until the Navy started taking boats, sending the crew home and selling the boats to "defray costs". Legalised piracy! Nice little earner too.

What was amazing at the time was that such high handed action didn't provoke a massive "International Incident". I guess the governments involved didn't want to be seen as supporting illegal activities.

Fair enough Journey Man. Japanese, whatever, if they're poaching, they deserve to be punished. I don't accept that Japan is a major culprit here. Southern hemisphere people should check out the EU fishing. One after one, the fisheries are collapsing.

According to Wikipedia, the minke whale population is over 1 million. Taking 1,000 per year is entirely sustainable.

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
Canada and Norway are whaling nations. Answer this question.

Why does mud stick to people with yellow skins, when it slides off whites?

Soubs, in NZ the mud sticks to the Norwegians too. They are seen as naughty bad whaling people too, albeit not in the same league as the Japanese. I didn't know about the Canadians tho. Interesting... I guess that comes from listening to the media and doing zip research.

[soapBoxMode]
Which we shouldn't have to do... Shouldn't the media be obligated to tell the truth? Make em all join an association before they get a licence to journalise. If they stuff up (ie deliberately misleading by telling selective bits of the truth or hiding behind the word "alleged") ban them. Just like doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc.
[/soapBoxMode]
According to Wikipedia, the minke whale population is over 1 million. Taking 1,000 per year is entirely sustainable.

Wow! That certainly sounds like it could work. I might even try whale next time I'm in Japan, just to see what the fuss is about.
Anyone tried it? Anyone dare to admit it???? ;\)

Pointing the finger at Japan only regarding overfishing is wrong for sure. It's a commonly held assumption though, if you surveyed people in any Western country about which countries about who was to blame for overfishing and I expect most would say Asian countries, with no knowledge of facts involved.

I guess one thing soubs is that the whitey country whaling occurs off their own coasts. There is some element of anti Japanese feeling in the criticism of whaling but the Canadians or Norwegians would be getting roasted if they were doing the same thing down in Antarctica.

Another point to consider is that, to some extent it doesn't matter which countries are overfishing, what matters is what countries are overconsuming.

Overconsuming? China.

Japan has no significant natural resources other than people, sunshine, water and fertile soil. Everything Japan exports has to be imported as raw materials. Other nations have the right to "not sell" to Japan. No-one is forced. Other nations have the right to refuse the money. If they choose to sell, they don't have the right to blame the customer.

OK, you Assies have had this thread hi-jacked.

Over consuming? What are you on? China likes the taste of beef now, because it can. And that is over consuming? Anybody know the pounds per capita of beef the US consumes?

All the good stuff is for the westerners, don't you even think about tasting the good stuff.

Indian are largely vegetarians, just wait 'til they can afford meat.

End. Back on topic..........

It's horrible to be classed as "something" because of your passport or inclination, eh, mamabear?

Japanese, Australian or whatever. We're all people, and most of us know the difference between right and wrong.

Yes Soubs. Absolutely. And most of us are OK about learning that we may have been wrong when we thought we were right - if we weren't it'd be a horrid old world.

O.K. We are all in agreement about this stuff. but I must take issue with you Soubs on one point.

Finger pointing at Japan is well founded. This is from the Commission for the Conservation of Southern Bluefin, an organization formed by Australia (whiteys) New Zealand (whiteys) and Japan (yelloweys) in 2006.

THE Japanese government had admitted taking too many blufin tuna and would reduce its quota, federal Fisheries Minister Eric Abetz said today.

also

He said the Japanese government had accepted a vastly reduced quota, and needed to be taken at its word.

and

If Japan had stuck to its quota, the fish stock would now be five times larger. Japan's quota has been halved to 3000 tonnes a year.

There is a frank omission from the Japanese here that they and their 'suppliers' have vastly exceeded their fish quota.

I had the offer of eating whale at Kyushoko, but declined. Not for any moral reason but simply that I don't eat ANY seafood. Whether its mammal, fish, crustacean or weed, anything that lives in the sea is off my dinner plate.

Fair enough mantas, I'll concede your point. Then settle back smugly content because I don't eat fish ;\)

Bottom line

They eat too much fish
We burn too much coal
U.S. bombs too many people....
China HAS too many people....
England has warm beer...

We all have our sins.

Beer temperature (Wikipedia).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer

"The temperature of a beer has an influence on a drinker's experience. Colder temperatures allow fully attenuated beers such as pale lagers to be enjoyed for their crispness; while warmer temperatures allow the more rounded flavours of an ale or a stout to be perceived. Beer writer Michael Jackson proposed a five-level scale for serving temperatures: well chilled (7 °C/45 °F) for "light" beers (pale lagers), chilled (8 °C/47 °F) for Berliner Weisse and other wheat beers, lightly chilled (9 °C/48 °F) for all dark lagers, altbier and German wheat beers, cellar temperature (13 °C/55 °F) for regular British ale, stout and most Belgian specialities and room temperature (15.5 °C/60 °F) for strong dark ales (especially trappist beer) and barley wine."

I like guiness at or just above room temp and kilkenny a bit cooler. Most other beers I love cold in a frozen mug. While we are on this topic what have you guys been drinking recently? My fridge is stocked with Heartland and Hoegaarden \:D

BTW, Niseko is flat as a pancake. Im sure Aussie tourists are behaving their best though. We havent had anything to laugh bout on the boards in quite some time. Maybe the really embarrassing stuff is being censored by gonative and mikepow?

Well a Nepali restaurant owner beat his wife to death with a hammer and threw their young baby into the river recently. Not something to laugh about but something to keep the xenophobes happy. One reporter made a big deal out of the fact that the guy didn't speak Japanese even though he had a Japanese wife! Yep a lack of language skills is sure to turn you into a homicidal maniac...