How really do the Aussie ski tourists really act in Japan???

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soubs,

I feel the pain with the Ex. Had a similar thing, not quite the same distance, but no visits from age 7 (for my baby girl). She is now in London as a supply teacher and has started an email correspondence with me. We are starting to get to know each other again.

Hang in, the baitch will NOT win, eventually they grow up and away from the influences that keep them tied down. When that happens,be ready for it.

Great news about the lady wife Soubs! Wishing her well.

Your kids are in Perth Soubs? I thought they were in HK for some reason.....

Kids do grow, and yeah they might have been brainwashed, but most of them find out the truth at some stage and re-establish relationships with thier estranged parent. I am hoping to get to know my nieces and nephews when they get to that age - they live a long way away and they aren't ever allowed an overnight stay or a trip to the movies with Aunty...so interaction with them is a bit contrived.

The Perth-Tokyo overnighter is pretty good as far as convenience goes, just a shame the plane is so OLD and uncomfortable. And no time change for us!

Thanks everyone. She`s back home now and all is well.

They`re in Perth Mamabear. Qantas won`t fly them and the helpful letter she wrote to Singapore Air led to them declining to carry my boys on the day they were due to fly. I had to make two return trips to collect and deliver them. Never again. Sometimes the venom just boils out of me. It`s a horrible feeling, and very bad karma.

I wonder what made her hate you so much Soubs? Did you used to beat her or something? You must have been a real bastard, well at least in her eyes. I reckon it'd be great if she came on these forums to give her side of the story stir

I've never hit anyone in my life. I'm a bohemian, and she has a pathological need to be in control. It was a marriage made in hell. I fell in love with her. God knows what she saw in me, other than a passport out of Hong Kong. The bloke she leaft me for is a stiff. He's straight, middle class, earns good money and does exactly as he's told. Pipe, slippers and a cardigan. He was also married with two daughters, aged 1 & 3 when she plucked him from the tree.

I'm not an easy person. I've had a hard life, and had to make of it what I can. Nothing was given to me other than my wits and a love of books. She is welcome to whatever life she wants. I'm sick of bitching. I just want my children to be able to travel without interference.

She gave her side of the story to the Family Court and the Australian Federal Police. If you've never been in the nick, I suggest you try it sometime. I have. It's unpleasant. They let me go, no charge to answer.

Edit. I'll add that every time I travel in or out of Oz, my passport sets off the bells. Bing Bong. Would you care to come over here for a little interview? An ancient male travelling with children. Never again.

Only stirring you mate. Never been in a really bad relationship myself and remained pretty good friends with my ex's. It's a pity the kids have got caught up in it all.

I did spend nearly 3 years in a max security prison as a correctional officer. Reckon it was only marginally more fun than being on the other side of the bars. Prisons really aren't fun places.

Soubs, I am sure the boys will appreciate the bohemian nature in you when they are old enough to make those decisions free of Mum's control - and if they have been straight jacketted by Mum for all these years will probably welcome it!!

Prison is never a fun place, but it is a lot easier place to be nowadays than it used to be.

Soubs, said it before, say it again, hang in. The boys will eventually grow up (and away from the influence) and make up their own minds.

It might take a medical event (where they need to know your med history - or that of your family) for them to need to ask.

Live the moment with the new arrivals, enjoy!!

Not really. She's efficient and they are loyal, but there's no warmth. Let me put it this way. They are always really eager to come to Japan, and very low when it's time to go home. I realise in part it's the difference between holidays and the reality of school, but I'd like to believe there's a bit more than that.

JA. It's Fattwins with the new arrivals, not me wink

Sheesh!!

Take a gander at the globe. 10hours Sydney-Tokyo non-stop. Almost zero time difference.

Dunno the times to Western US, but we are looking at a time difference of +10 (Aus) to -10(US)hours. Enormous jetlag.

Okay - I have flown Perth to Narita, and Perth to LAX (I have not done the NY entry yet, but I do believe that is longer).

USA It took 14 hrs of continuous flight to get to USA AFTER we left Sydney - so add another 6 hours onto that journey easily - when you factor in the plane change, terminal change and customs...more than 20 hours later we are in the continental United States! And we have a massive time shift to adjust to.

Japan From Perth it is not 10 hrs - I think it was 8 hours from memory (direct). That is an overnight flight - so assuming you can sleep on the plane (which I rarely do) you have a very easy trip. And there is NO time difference (unless there is a daylight savings hiccup at some point - but there wasn't in January) between Perth and Tokyo/Niseko.

No competition really. Shorter flight. Deeper snow. Same time zone. And better food.

Having said that - the family are angling for a trip to USA/Canada just for the experience - ya can't knock it until you have tried it huh?

But there are very good reasons why Aussies love Japan, in particular Aussie families with kids that wont sit still on the plane!!

Thanks, Mama.

I was, of course, talking East Coast Oz.

There are advantages to US, though. The language isn't (too much of) a problem. Although I do not think I will ever get used to the concept of "SOB" being acceptable while son-of-a-bitch isn't (they are the same thing, really!).

However, after a few weeks of Pimsleur Japanese lessons, the language is not such a problem - demo, mada josu j'arimasen.