How really do the Aussie ski tourists really act in Japan???

Originally Posted By: Nisoko
The fact is most people aren't bothered about wanting to be deep in the middle of a Japanese experience other than being here and enjoying the awesome snow. People get hooked on Japan once they have been here the first time.

Nisoko,

So, how do they get them there in the first place?? Yes, the awesome snow is a good thing, but the experience is the next step.
  • Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: JA
So, how do they get them there in the first place??

I think you are asking how can people avoid a Japanese experience getting to Niseko?

Well if that is the question, I can say I managed it. The first time I came to Japan I flew London - Narita, an hour later I was on a plane Narita - Chitose and very shortly after that I was on a bus to Higashiyama. On that trip I only actually dealt with two Japanese people. A fairly minimal Japanese experience!

A young guy who used to be my apprentice is a keen snowboarder. He rang me yesterday to ask about Japan and where he should go. He's not travelled much, and is a typical young Aussie lad who often gets himself into some good natured mischief. He is a great kid from a great family, but I was reluctant to send him to Niseko for fear of any trouble he might get into (he's going with a bunch of mates which is more the worry). Maybe I'm paranoid.

On the other hand I think the experience would do him (and his mates) good.

Mantas,

That is funny.

Your loyalties are now with Niseko lol

I handed an advertising DVD (have a little stock of them) some of my pic's and a whole pile of assorted info to a lecturer at TAFE where I work this week. She is wanting to take her teenaged son's somewhere for thier first snow experience. Of course I did the math for her based on a 2 weeks holiday - comparing Aus/NZ with Niseko - no surprise she was keen on Niseko .... an international holiday and great snow trip all in one.

This is why the popularity of Niseko has grown so exponentially - people go home thrilled with thier expereince and pass the word ... if just one of two of those people go the following year the thing just GROWS! Who needs advertising!

Add to that, for you sandgropers, there's NO time difference! And just 2 hours for us easterners.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Mantas,
That is funny.

Nah....I don't buy into that Niseko v Hakuba crap. I like them both for different reasons.
Originally Posted By: Mantas
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Mantas,
That is funny.

Nah....I don't buy into that Niseko v Hakuba crap. I like them both for different reasons.

rollabout

Sorry...I should have been more clear!

I meant your loyalties are now with Niseko OVER Australia (Nothing to do with Hakuba).
You wanted to recommend Niseko to these boys, but were cautious in case they didn't do the right thing...tells me you have strong feelings about protecting Niseko.

I think that is sweet.

Maybe it is time to diversify. Just say you've heard a lot of good things about Shiga Kogen and send them there. Perhaps they could help open up the nightlife and hence the Aus market.

But it a heck of a lot closer to Aus than a hike to USA, Canada or Europe! Which is very attractive for families whose kiddies have yet to develop the patience for a 14 hr flight in Economy wink

10 hours is about as long of a flight as you would want. 3 movies, a couple of bourbons and a little nap.

Anything longer is a pain. (especially with little kids)

Yeah, but the time difference Syd - Tokyo is just 2 hours! Makes jetlag a total non-issue.

Only problem is the lack of comfort for sleeping. And, there are no overnight direct flights on the way up.

Qantas Perth-Narita is 10 hours. The bstards won't take unacompianied children but they charge full price for teenagers. One more year to wait before No1 son is 16 and able to travel. But the bitch will beat him down somehow.