Shiga Kogen doesn't really have (m)any restaurants as such - they are all part of hotels.

The place that does have a few places is the Ichinose area, around 4F on this map

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/japan-ski-town-maps/shiga-kogen/shiga-kogen.html

Nice restaurant in Okushiga Kogen hotel (5A on above map), bit posh.

Which hotel are you staying in? 3 of us are working at Chu Hotel in Ichinose, but prob only until 31st Jan. I'm dying for some gaijin contact lol.

There's a resturant run by Nepalese here with good naan bread/currie. There's Back Bowl Cafe with your nachos and pasta and good range of drinks. Price here is quite reasonable. Chu Hotel does ramen at lunch for 800 yen.

I'm staying at the Sunroute.

Good curry place sounds good (I'm part indian).

It's funny, but sometimes you find good food in the most wierd places... Like just outside of Jindabyne, there's a servo near the turn off to Thredbo and the Ski Tube... best Thai I've ever had...

800y lunches sound good.. most of the time we just have a good breakfast and a good dinner and we're right. Let protein bars and bread take care of us during the day..

• 3 months later...
 Originally Posted By: Eunice
Which hotel are you staying in? 3 of us are working at Chu Hotel in Ichinose, but prob only until 31st Jan. I'm dying for some gaijin contact lol.

Just curious. Whereabouts are you dying for that contact?

Hey pbd, we didn't end up staying in Shiga. It was all booked out before we were confirmed, so we ended up in Furano instead. We will be going to Shiga this year though...

Depending how much you want to spend. I can whole heartedly recommend JAL to fly with, but Jalpak weren't really able to help us last year as we left it until a week before we went to book. (Stupid passport office)

Thanks sciclone - I booked flights yesterday using qantas frequent flyer points. Flying a mix of Qantas and Jestar so now we are trying to work out how we can manage the 20kg limit including skis and boots!!!. May have to pay some excess but still cheaper than buying tickets for 4 of us.

contact the airline prior to going to the airport. They should charge a flat rate for extra baggage and often the airline will have a special rate for winter sports gear

Sorry to dredge up my own thread but....

As I wrote above, we didn't get to Shiga this year, so we plan on doing it next year. Where we went this year was Furano, and despite being out of the way, we loved it...

Because of this, I'm wondering what other stuff there is besides snowboarding at Shiga Kogen. Furano has a cheese factory, winery, brewery and is built around an actual town. Can anyone give me any ideas of what there is around Shiga? My mum is coming again and she doesn't really have an interest in boarding/skiing

PS. The snow monkeys are a forgone conclusion...

Shiga Kogen is a national park and so there are lots of restrictions on what there can be. That is probably why there aren't tons of restaurants etc up there.

I think we should be happy it is generally untouched by nasty buildings, advertising hoardings etc. There ain't many places like that.

For skiing, scenery and reliable snow, Shiga's a great place. For apres ski, however, it is pretty limited. Don't go there expecting to party. As mentioned above, Back Bowl Cafe - on the ground floor of Villa Ichinose Hotel - does a mean fondue and usually has some extreme ski videos playing. The curry place is good too, though I've only ever been there for lunch

I think it could still have a bit more in the existing buildings etc than it does now. At night it can be almost pitch black even where hotels are! Just a bit more discrete liveliness would be good up there.

It's not just buildings but noise levels and stuff like that. Pity that doesn't cover stuff like "Jpop on the slopes"