Originally Posted By: grantj71
...but Mongoose, MikePOW, Go Native and others..... you all sound like the little fat kid at Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory ('I don't know if this chocolate is good enough for me').... You are so lucky to be in such a beautiful place and even in this 'crap' snow, I still found plenty of untracked lines...

Don't think I should be in this esteemed company.

If you read back you'll find I even enjoyed the turns on the rain day.

No such thing as bad turns in my book, just bad skiers/riders.
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not read MikePOW disappointed with the turns at Niseko ONCE ... methinks he is a snow junkie! LOL

And Grant - it is ON!! Mike is right.

This morning just off the HOLIDAY lift (yep that is right - serious beginner stuff) I lost a knee!! Temporarily - but one minute it was there and the next it was gone, then it was back again. It was quite hard going for the less dedicated among us up top today - but even my teens came down to the HOLIDAY for a big stint - enough to keep them happy for a few hours!

The big boy got stuck under a big stash of POW at Hanazono and had to dig out, too hairy for him - hence the playtime at Holiday.

Just back from Bali and heading up to Niseko for the long weekend coming up (it`s a hard life!). Really stoked, first time to ride up there and first time this season. Top to read it has all come good and that it`s as deep as the Mariana Trench there at the mo! Looking forward to bit of snow bukake!! Hopefully it will live up to my expectations.

Measurements outside my house at ~300m.

15 Nov 07 - 21 Nov 07 : 105cm

22 Nov 07 - 28 Nov 07 : 52cm

29 Nov 07 - 05 Dec 07 : 108cm

06 Dec 07 - 12 Dec 07 : 54cm

13 Dec 07 - 19 Dec 07 : 89cm

20 Dec 07 - 26 Dec 07 : 72cm

27 Dec 07 - 02 Jan 08 : 83cm

03 Jan 08 - 09 Jan 08 : 130cm

10 Jan 08 - 16 Jan 08 : 162cm

November 2007 : 177cm

December 2007 : 318cm

January 2008 : 360cm so far!!!!

Mel in Miharashi this morning

MikePow_24.jpg

Once was not enough

MikePow_25.jpg

Kirstina in Miharashi

MikePow_26.jpg

Let's play 'Where's Kirstina'?

MikePow_27.jpg

Kutchan has gone up 35cm in depth so far today. In the last hour it went up 13cm. It is bucketing down out there. And it looks like it will keep coming all night and through tomorrow. Gonna need a snorkel out there soon if this keeps up! thumbsup.gif

It was great riding even on the groomers all day today. Fresh new snow to push around everywhere you went, and the ungroomed was sensational.

I did joke about bringing a snorkel for the 8 yr old - but now that NISS has him all day long and they are playing in the tree's he MIGHT ACTUALLY need one!! He is pretty short.

Just spent over an hour clearing my driveway and a path to the front door. I got the car in off the street but not sure if I will be able to get it out again in the morning...

GN, even although I am jealous that you live that close to awesome conditions, does it sometimes get right on yer t*ts that you have to continually dig out you house and car from the snow? Its something I've been thinking about, as I would like to move to snowy regions BUT I hink I would become disillusioned with all the digging out that needs to be done. I need a city that is close to the slopes but JUST outside the major snow belt!! \:\)

It's just part of living here. Not the most fun part sure but the good far outweighs the bad. I think a covered carport is definitely on the list of things to build this coming summer though.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
It's just part of living here. Not the most fun part sure but the good far outweighs the bad. I think a covered carport is definitely on the list of things to build this coming summer though.

And a heated driveway.........luxury!
 Originally Posted By: Go Native
Just spent over an hour clearing my driveway and a path to the front door. I got the car in off the street but not sure if I will be able to get it out again in the morning...

OK - Hubby drove to Kutchan for some shopping during that big dump and he was blown away by the size of the flakes and the rate it came down. Seriously the windscreen was clear when he parked, and 40 minutes later when the shopping was done - 5 inches deep on the windscreen!!!

But he noticed everyone shovelling and piling the snow in mounds in the front yard. Not being from a snow zone (LOL - Perth - LOL!)we were curious - what next? Does it just make a snow mountain in the front yard or is it collected and removed? I heard they used some Kutchan snow on a ski resort to pad the base before it could open... Where does it go? And other than paths and access points - why remove it? Curiousity is killing us!!

In Kutchan it depends a little on where you live Mama. Some areas have traps to drains (in which warm water flows) to dump the snow in. Others push the snow out front to be taken away by the road clearing machinery the next day or to pile up until they can store no more and then have it removed. Some have warm spring water run down their driveways to melt the snow and some have large tanks filled with warm water in which they shovel the snow to melt it.

The road cleared snow is often pushed to an empty lot and when the lot fills up it will be cleared and the snow trucked to a dumping site out of town. The walls of snow between the road and the sidewalk if not cleared now and then can get very very high. This causes problems with visibility for cars entering from cross streets. Also if you don't remove it you can end up feeling pretty walled in with 10ft+ high walls of snow everywhere. And on the whole (unlike in Aus) Japanese people don't really seem to like being walled off from their neighbors. Overall it is a hell of a lot of work to manage snow removal in a town with as much snowfall as Kutchan.