Quote:
Originally posted by DumbStick:
Why is god doing this??
He is doing it as most snowboarders covet (and are in fact shagging) their skiing neighbors wife, whilst most skiers suffer from envy of their very cool snowboarding neighbors. As a group we live in sin. God has decided to ban cold things from Earth.

There is a great Australian movie called Bad Boy Bubby. The main guy has a very vocal opinion on God. You should look it up.
 Quote:
Originally posted by asobou:
What can we do? wakaranai.gif
well there are a number of things you can do.

become educated and use your power as a member of the community to bring about change. this can come thru joining local groups or perhaps most easily and efficiently by flexing your purchasing power to favour green products. buy local! think about your consuming ways, and how best u can modify your lifestyle to reduce them.

the iclei site may have information on what your local council is doing. there may be information booklets or organised events. the activities related to climate change are included ubder the CCP section in campaigns and projects

or see the
iclei home page

i recently heard a doco that claimed the hole over the ozone layer has ceased growing. They summed up by saying this was a good indication that the tide has turned and we may expect the world to start repairing itself.

Personally...i dunno about that but it's nice to think so .... \:\)

Yesterday I was on the highway(in nz) and a van full of kids were infront of me. Suddenly all sorts of rubbish went flying out the window onto the side of the road. MAN THAT PISSES ME OFF!!!!

Do they not teach children respect for nature and not to litter in school !!!

This is a common occurance and worries the hell out of me - what will things look like once these little sh*ts grow up!?

mad.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by sweetaz:
i recently heard a doco that claimed the hole over the ozone layer has ceased growing. They summed up by saying this was a good indication that the tide has turned and we may expect the world to start repairing itself.
the success dealing with ozone depletion serves as an excellent example of how the world can work together. unfortunately, it does not represent the current mood in internatinal relations. the 80s to early 90s was a very strong time for the environmental movement, but it has lost some momentum over the last decade, as countries become more concerned with their own sovereignty. two nations which strongly represent this attitude being australia and the US. there is little to suggest that this trend will change any time soon.
 Quote:
Originally posted by sweetaz:
This message brought to you by Shell.
 Quote:
the 80s to early 90s was a very strong time for the environmental movement, but it has lost some momentum over the last decade
Exacty what i was trying (ok not very well) to get at with my comment on today's kids. When i was in school (80s to early 90s) there was a huge push for green awareness, recycling etc. What has happened??! It is so very very sad.

FYI
"Even with full compliance with the now internationally agreed phase-out of ozone-degrading chemicals such as CFCs, the Earth's stratospheric ozone layer is expected to continue to decline, reaching maximum depletion around the turn of the century, and then gradually return to 1970 levels in about 50 years' time. During this period the biosphere will be exposed to higher levels of harmful UV radiation."

Dr. Frank R. de Gruijl is a biophysicist on the research staff of the Dermatology Department, University Hospital, University of Utrecht in the Netherlands. Since 1977 he has been involved in studies of effects of ultraviolet radiation on health, and now serves on the committee of the United Nations Environment Programme that deals with effects of an ozone depletion.

I dunno if he's sponsored by Shell \:D

Relax folks. It's not going to be a problem for decades. Let your children's children worry about it.

Also, you can consol yourself with the thought that there have been natural and rapid variations in the world's tempeature in the past and maybe what we are seeing now is simply another example. Don't forget, the beaches will be much closer so it will be easier for your great grand children to go surfing.

Its a glass half full kind of approach.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kambei:

[qb] Relax folks. It's not going to be a problem for decades. Let your children's children worry about it.

Also, you can consol yourself with the thought that there have been natural and rapid variations in the world's tempeature in the past and maybe what we are seeing now is simply another example. Don't forget, the beaches will be much closer so it will be easier for your great grand children to go surfing.

Its a glass half full kind of approach.

i know thats said tongue in cheek, and it won't be our grankids that are the ones suffering. we can indeed relax, because we have the money to deal with the consequences...

but the 'It's not going to be a problem for decades' comment is not accurate.

recent diversions in temperature and rainfall (2002) in australia are waaaaaay outta whack. ie it suggests we experiencing climate change, rather than seeing climate variablilty, now.

and the issue is not whether climate change has occurred in the past or not. it has. but the current change is largely human induced [ipcc - "new and stronger evidence that most of the warming observed over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities"]. the consequences will therefore be of our making.

here is some good climate change info: climate change info kit or the kit as a pdf

(the pdf file can take a while to download)

------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally posted by .db.:

Hmmm, sounds like an important issue.

Is there any way to make money out of this green house thingy?

u could try selling tshirts!

Not exactly the idea of a capitalist, but it should turn a few dollars my way. I could save production costs if I found a clothing factory in India or Vietnam, Cambodia… doesn't really matter, so long as the workforce is young and enthusiastic. What's more, it would benefit the local community.

Quote:
db:Is there any way to make money out of this green house thingy?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mikazooki:u could try selling tshirts!
...or you could try giving English lessons on it for a few thou an hour, thus getting rich and helping "spread the message" at the same time. :p

By the way how do you make these messages say the "originally quoted by" bit automatically?