I spent a couple of hours out there today and there would be 70-80cm at about 500m altitude (i could see a couple of holes and cracks in the base that had been dug out). At the top of the hooded triple there is easily over a metre but there is still a lot of sasa grass poking through. There was a lot more snow than I expected up there and without the right setup to ride that amount of snow I went for burger and chilled out for the afternoon

There has always been an issue with the official reported snowdepths at Niseko being a lot less than what we observe on the ground ourselves. The Niseko Now page is probably a good incator of the off-piste depth and the official report for on-piste.

Originally Posted By: neversummer
There was a lot more snow than I expected up there and without the right setup to ride that amount of snow I went for burger and chilled out for the afternoon

Schoolboy error neversummer whistle.gif

The evidence m'lord (scroll to end)

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/238357/fpart/5

I know Mike..also won't leave my screwdriver set in the car either.

Unlike you, I have to work from early morning but don't start 'till 10 on the weekend so with the weather still hanging around hopefully I'll get out for a full day soon...

Just coming in heavy again

• SnowJapan Admin

We have updated the Niseko Now page, and are making a few changed to avoid further confusion. Sorry for the confusion the last few days.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Go Native
temps are at the bottom of the resort (around 250m) and the top of the Ace #2 lift (around 800m).

cool. cheers for that. thanks for the clarification.

Originally Posted By: SJForums
We have updated the Niseko Now page, and are making a few changed to avoid further confusion. Sorry for the confusion the last few days.

Thanks

ok, so this new depth of 130cm, where is this measurement taken? is this in the village, or up on the mountain? on-piste? off-piste? unfortunately, this clarification has left me a little more confused. (and what happened to the 11 metre snow depth?? I liked that one) :p
  • SnowJapan Admin

We plan to put the official Hirafu numbers on there - which are presumably on-piste.

The number that is followed by (at top) is the snow depth at top.

The number that is followed by (at base) is the snow depth at base.

Cool SJ. Thanks for that. Greatly appreciated.

I know it seems silly, but as we get closer to getting on the plane to come on over, my mood and the general well being of my day can be largely effected by the snow depth reporting.... \:D To that effect, it has taken me two coffees and a snowboard film to get my day back on track after the reports were downgraded from 218cm to 130cm overnight. \:D \:D

• SnowJapan Admin

Well, yes.

We just got a mail in which someone branded the whole of SnowJapan as "not credible" and "a bit of a joke" because of this issue. Nice way to start the day....

\:\(

Well, yes.

We just got a mail in which someone branded the whole of SnowJapan as "not credible" and "a bit of a joke" because of this issue. Nice way to start the day.... \:\(

same wan*ers who are prolly pissed off regarding being banned a few weeks ago ;\)

OK like the people said, you must ignore and totally dismiss this kind of comment. Do not respond.

It's either someone angry for some reason as CB said, or just someone with limited brain capacity.

If someone says what you noted after one issue like this - for which you have adjusted, mentioned and apologised for any confusion - then they are just simply fools.

Keep up the fantastic work. A ton of people totally appreciate what you do.

FWIW, I did a major unit at uni on hydrology. Fully a third of the course was devoted to Sampling. That is, how to take representative measurements. Snow is notoriously difficult to measure.

The best you can do for a given station is to use a standard sampling technique. Treating snow depths as anything other than indicative is delusional.

Like we said in the report, apologies for the confusion on this.

is cool SJ. again thanks for your efforts here. they are greatly appreciated.

Well, yes.

We just got a mail in which someone branded the whole of SnowJapan as "not credible" and "a bit of a joke" because of this issue. Nice way to start the day....

\:\(

that is not cool. i think that sometimes people forget that the people running the site are actually human.