Japanese Proficiency Test

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea doing 4kyuu. It shouldnt be too hard cos I bust my b*tt earlier in the year and got up to a decent level! It is really paying off now cos as one of my mates is studying hard for next Sundays test I am going to Kagura to ski!! \:\)

I tried to sign up for 2kyu but I couldn't get hold of an application pack!

I looked on their website and it had drop-down lists of all the shops in each prefecture selling it... apart from Nagano - which had nothing!

So I called the publishers and they said it had sold out for the whole of Nagano - at least I'm 90% sure that's what he said, as my Japanese is not that good (no English spoken at all by them), and that it wouldn't be possible to find one!

This was week before the application deadline.

pah. I had already driven round all the Heiando's who knew nothing about it, so I gave up.

Oh, I also haven't studied for the last 6 months, so no big loss, but they hardly make it easy for you!

Absolutel bugger! Took 1kyu, and was as much fun as boiling my eye balls in fat!!

One consilation was everyone said the same thing. After passing 2kyu with 90% last year I will be surprised if I pass this year. Really is a big diff.

I took 2kyu.

First 2 tests were OK and I think I got about 65-70% on those, but the last one, reading, was an absolute bxxtch. The level was totally different to the vocab and listening tests I thought. I must have guessed 90% of the answers. I did loads of practice tests for reading and never came across anything like that. Must have been really unlucky and they just picked all the kanji I dont know \:D

Originally Posted By: farquah
Absolutel bugger! Took 1kyu, and was as much fun as boiling my eye balls in fat!!

One consilation was everyone said the same thing. After passing 2kyu with 90% last year I will be surprised if I pass this year. Really is a big diff.

it is a bugger - I failed level 1 three times with like a 63, 68, and 65. I was bummed when I failed with a 68 mad.gif \:\(
 Originally Posted By: bobby12
I took 2kyu.

First 2 tests were OK and I think I got about 65-70% on those, but the last one, reading, was an absolute bxxtch. The level was totally different to the vocab and listening tests I thought. I must have guessed 90% of the answers. I did loads of practice tests for reading and never came across anything like that. Must have been really unlucky and they just picked all the kanji I dont know \:D

Yep. That's it. Last time I took it I got 80% on kanji/vocab so you'd think I could read Japanese. But on the reading section I got 36%. wakaranai.gif

Doubt I will ever sit one of these tests as I just have absolutely no interest whatsoever to learn kanji. I work hard enough that the last thing I want to do at the end of the day is study anything....

Go native - tell me about it. However i got a japanese wife so I need to learn the language and I aint getting any younger.

ger - I think the reason the reading section is so difficult is cos so many Chinese are taking the test. Most of the chinese sitting near me had closed their test sheet 30mins into the test and started sleeping. Whereas I didn't get time to read the last 3 pages! I also think that first test, kanji/vocab is totally redundant when you have that reading test at the end. It is impossible to imagine somone passing the reading and failing the kanji/vocab so they should just scrap it IMO.