• SnowJapan Admin

Our local "flying rice" is well known as being the undisputed best in the world ever.

YuzawaNow_479.jpg

\:\)

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/87945#Post87945

The above thread is from last autumn, but I spotted the rice on the lifts this morning again.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I think all rice tastes the same

Ahh young grasshopper! How wrong you are!
I can actually tell the difference between the different stuff these days. It's taken 10 years!

I'm having a gomuku boom.. lovely!

TB, no. No, and no. There are so many diff varieties of rice you will lose hair thinking about them. Dry, wet, sweet, salty. Fragrant, fresh, et al. There are more varieties of rice than there are varieties of womoen on this planet.

Originally Posted By: thursday
TB, no. No, and no. There are so many diff varieties of rice you will lose hair thinking about them. Dry, wet, sweet, salty. Fragrant, fresh, et al. There are more varieties of rice than there are varieties of womoen on this planet.

dude, hair is long gone and rice tastes the same!!
Brown rice is a wee bit chewier, but still that same non-flavour. Rice is just a filler for me, a mild distraction on the plate that adds a different texture to my mouthful

yes muika, but I've been told that us "gaijin" can't taste the diff!

It's like anything, have it long enough and you will notice the diff.

I can't go without my daily rice now. Nothing like a nice fresh bowl of fluffy white koshi hikari!

I can't taste the difference.

I've never once eaten white Japanese rice and thought 'mmm lovely' in the way I would with Basmati or jasmine thai rice.

I would say more important is how it is cooked (amount of water/time) rather than the rice itself.

I think it's suppose to cleanse the palate and thereby allow the flavours to come through, rather than distract from them. The thing about rice though, is that I just can't seem to enjoy wine with it. Beer seems to go much better.

Cos its a grain ger, you know the saying, never mix the grape with the grain!!

Basmati rice I prefer cos its not sticky, still has very little discernible flavour IMO. Japanese rice is short grain rice, which is whats used in rice pudding, now thats the kind of rice I like. White, creamy, sweet, milky rice...mmmm