• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Scottish press lapped it up?? Eh?? when was that like?? The curling must've got one page if that. Sure the scottish press would lap up a rugby win, however the BBC would not be as wonderful in their congratulations if Scotland or Wales won a World Cup. Why should the TV be drenched in celebration over the whole country whenn England win?? We don't like them, we don't want to see England win and yet its pushed in our faces for months and years after the fact. If Scotland or Wales were to win something it would get blanket coverage on their respective stations, ie BBC Scotland programming but the English programming would be unaffected apart from the congratulatory programme. This is how it should be of course, however when England win, the BBC (which stands for BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation) blanket their programming with shows about the marvellous team.

Lighten up TB. One of my grandparents was from Cornwall, one from Ireland and one from Sweden. I'm probably as Celtic as you, but I'm English. The Scots pay the same taxes as everyone else but get favoured treatment for health, education and political representation.

With respect, parade your prejudice elsewhere.

I'm sorry Soubs, but I'm not prejudiced because I dislike a team. I have no grievance with English people at all, but when it comes to sports I don't want England to win.

I don't see why Scots get favoured treatment for health and education, we may have more political representation simply because now we have our own parliament and so have more politicians representing us at various levels of government but you should take that up with your MP. The details of which I'm not sure of but the joining of Scotland with England was a Union, not a conquest. So deals and concessions were made to appease and ensure certain aspects of Scottish life. we have always had a different education system and a different law system from England and Wales

All I had said was that i wouldn't be supporting England, and there was some lighthearted banter thrown in, but all that seems to happen in enflame misguided patriotism in english people who then go on a diatribe about the sporting merits of Scotland.

You aren't gonna tell me that you think the BBC dishes out an equal and unbiased amount of coverage to all the home nations??

My barb against the BBC is that its meant to be a British Broadcasting Corp, not the English Broadcasting Corp. Of course the press should report to the nation that they won a major tournament, but I don't see why it has to broadcast it en masse to ALL the UK nations.

It's OK TB. I'm not into flame wars, and glad you aren't either thumbsup.gif

The health and education systems in Scotland are better funded than England and Wales. Someone living in Dumfries as access to a wider range of more expensive drugs than someone in Carlisle, for example. Your 4 year degrees are better than our 3 year courses. The Act of Union is just that, and I'm not complaining, unlike some ragged-arsed border reivers ;\)

I'm neutral on Scotland vs. Argentina, I'd like to see both do well. I reckon your lot have a better chance than my lot.

cool. Don't know enough about funding etc etc to argue about it but if we have better funded NHS then god help those living on the other side of Gretna Green!!! ;\)

The rugby game (which what the thread is about after all), well of course I want Scotland to win but as its Rugby and I'm not really into it I wouldn't lose any sleep if they did get beat.

good luck for the game, maybe we can meet in the final!! ;\)

whooo hooo! England just stuck it to Austrayla! you ripper love love it love it love it

yahooxv0.gif

I wish I was at bar right now cheering with the poms and rubbing it in.

w00t.gif

The aussie forward pack need a new logo... I know

flake%20wrapped.jpg

almost the right colours too, what a abysmal forward performance by Australia, their scrum was utter shite. Dunning the fat useless you know what and George "has been" Smith leading the way.

Australia's backs and England's forwards would make an amazing team.

its great schaudenfreude for me seeing an Australian sporting team going down, especially if its Rugby or Cricket.

Australia could be playing an al qaeda selection and would be cheering for the turbans.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Stupid game! How can you win without crossing the oppositions line? ;\)

Congratulations England .

Thanks Mantas
Not a great game of Rugby but very exciting.
 Originally Posted By: SG
its great schaudenfreude for me seeing an Australian sporting team going down, especially if its Rugby or Cricket.
Australia could be playing an al qaeda selection and would be cheering for the turbans.

Very sporting of you SG....... Been on the receiving end of too many sheep jokes eh? I was going to throw my support behind the Kiwis, but you just reminded me why you are not deserving of it.

Yes. England saved their best game in years for this match and Australia played fairly average. A top effort. I just think it's a shame that the game came down to 2 mens kicking ability and penalties.