• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chabal- You've got to be kidding me. Hammering a player from the side when he cant see you coming, then smacking another player with your forearm while running the ball up.

Wow....what a hero! thumbsdown.gif

I'm disapointed we didn't see any traditional French eye gouges as well!

Chabal looks like a nice friendly chap!!! shifty.gif

Can't believe that Argentina beat France. Only the 2nd time a Host nation has lost the opening game, the other team was England who got beat from NZ

Who was saying that the French were shoe ins? Apparently no team who has lost a group game has went on to win the tournament

I am no rugby pro, but were either plays illegal?

If yes, why was he not sanctionned?

I saw the same plays with kiwi commentators you were quite impressed by the tackle although they did say that he had lined him up from 20 yards out. What would the opposition have done if the situation had been reversed? Was he supposed to shout "please turn around you are about to get tackled"?

There you go again with your cliches targeted at specific nationalities again. You just can't help it.

As we all know, all nations behave like saints in the scrum except one.

Originally Posted By: SerreChe

There you go again with your cliches targeted at specific nationalities again. You just can't help it.

No.... I'm talking about 15 men from that nation of 40+million.(nice pigeon hole attempt).
The French (union team only) are renowned for it mate! Your in denial if you think otherwise. I think John Eales kept great composure during the 1999 world cup after the third Eye gouge incident.

I never said Chabal did anything illegal. Just tell me what impressed you about it.

I am not denying the obvious, I also saw Eales' eyes when he came out of the scrum during the world cup as well. But by the way, you are already assuming that all 15 of them are guilty of doing it.

What I think though is that singling one one nation for their behaviour in the scrum is simplistic. I have some kiwi friends who play at club level and told me I would not believe what goes on in the scrum.

So I think that it goes on not only at the french union team level but at many other levels, and not just in france, that's all.

I am impressed by the raw power of the guy. He dishes it out but he takes it as well.

fighting0092.gif

Mate. I'm not saying the French (rugby team, but not all 15 players) have a monopoly on foul play. It's just that they do it MORE than other teams. I doubt anyone with any rugby knowledge would argue with me. Here is an interesting artical from talented Kiwi lock John Daniell.

"One of the great specialties of French rugby is la fourchette, the eye-gouge.

"This is particularly effective because it is discreet. But you, the owner of the eye, know all about it, and quickly forget about whatever you are doing.

"The only thing that matters is getting that bloody finger out of there. You try to hold on to the finger so that you can see who the owner is, but invariably it slips back into the grunting morass that surrounds you.

"It is a particularly unpleasant feeling having a dirty finger-nail scraping along the back wall of your eye-socket.

"In 15 years of rugby in New Zealand I was eye-gouged twice, and I remember feeling physically sick afterwards that someone would stoop so low.

"Within the first month of being in France I lost count of the number of times it happened."

I had a good laugh when I read the article.

Maybe you are right and they do do it more than others!

Wonder how it goes in scrums in other countries in general.

I am surprised though that kiwi players would think of the french league as rough. Surely these guys have some really rough games back home.

Originally Posted By: SerreChe

I am surprised though that kiwi players would think of the french league as rough. Surely these guys have some really rough games back home.

There's a big difference between rough and dirty.

>"The only thing that matters is getting that bloody finger out of there. You try to hold on to the finger so that you can see who the owner is, but invariably it slips back into the grunting morass that surrounds you. <

Wouldn't it be nice to catch the cowardly bastard that does this. I know I never could when I was playing. I particularly despise this act,

I was not referring to the eye-poking when I meant rough but referring to other parts of the articles.

So it happened a few times to you Mantas, were you facing a french team by any chance ? grin.gif

At least you've never gotten the finger of god!

I hear it happens from time to time in some leagues... laugh.gif

hopoates_finger.jpg

I wonder what's worse, finger in the eyeball or in the A..

I am thinking about a poll.....