Niseko: Annupuri & Higashiyama - quieter than Hirafu?

Very much so I stay out of town between Hirafu and Higashiyama and personally we spend more time at Higashiyama and Annupuri then Hirafu which may have the larger town but not nessesarily the best ski area.

This trip I have also hired a vehicle to head out to the other resorts in the area.

As for Hirafu itself I like some of the hot spots so to speak but there are many nice restraunts in Kutchan and Niseko towns as well. There is a free bus from Hirafu each night to Kutchan and its well worth exploring the quieter streets off the main road to find some excellent eateries.

Hirafu is a good introduction to skiing in Japan a great comfort zone but over the next 5 years you will see many Aussies move away from there looking for more.

Higashiyama is pretty much "just the Prince Hotel". If you weren't planning on having all your meals on hotel property, you'll have to catch a bus somewhere. Annupuri is similar, but there are more hotels, lodges, and pensions instead of one big property.

OK, I'm gonna try and sell you guys on the Hirafu side here ;\) ......

I don't know why people knock the Hirafu side. Sure there are a lot of Aussies but I've never been bothered... plus they tend to stay at particular hotels and the village is large enough to absorb them most of the time. And it's not that noisy. I don't know why people knock Hirafu.... It's is hip, fresh and alive. --Lots of young Japanese ski bums running restaurants and bars and the Japanese tourists are also a little younger and more alive too. Hirafu has heaps of culture (I don't mean kimonos and crap, I mean real young hip Japanese people who are happy to talk with you (as well as Aussy/western culture of course)). Ezorisu summed up the Higashi side pretty well I think:

Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
Higashiyama is pretty much "just the Prince Hotel". If you weren't planning on having all your meals on hotel property, you'll have to catch a bus somewhere.

And the Prince hotel is far from 'gorgeous'. It's a slowly decaying monstrosity left over from the 70's. The ghost of skiing's past. I think Hirafu's got far far far more to offer for anyone. If you want to avoid the Aussies (and the English language), book a package trip through a regular travel agent in Japan rather than going to an English website and patching things together. We've done both and it tends to be cheaper going with a package too. It's really not that noisy and busy. If you do feel like going out for a drink though, other than a couple of places that are really popular with Aussies, there are many tiny places on quiet streets dimly lit streets with friendly young Japanese owners/staff. It's 'real'. -- Unlike the Higashiyama side, which is just 'corporate'.

As for Anupuri, I've only skied down to the base a couple of times. It's also limited, with a lot of Japanese school groups staying there, so I've heard.

Originally Posted By: thursday
errr? why go through an agent. Loads of places can be contacte DIRECT. C'mon, look at the listings on SJ.

Advantages and disadvantages to each. Supporting the kind folks who advertise on SJ would be a good thing of course....

as Ger mentioned, some of the packages can be cheaper than doing it yourself. We were much better off going with a package than doing it ourselves, but they were both only 5 day trips. I suspect a longer trip would be a different story.

Originally Posted By: thursday
supporting the listings on SJ takes precedence over price. What the hell were you thinking?

"shuuuwloop" (no smiley for licking ass!)

short domestic trips would almost cost me double booking separately.

BW sarcastic relpy to a sarcastic comment. wave.gif

Seriously though, I'll support the SJ places where I can (mainly on self drive honshu trips) but when I can get airfares, transfers & accom for the price of just the accomodation alone there's really no choice.

Unless SJ go into the package deal business.. thumbsup.gif

no worries.

I book my flight from the airline website.

I email my requirements to the hotel and leave credit card details if they need a deposit.

I buy the coach tickets on arrival.

Then we lug our stuff across the Hirafu carpark.

Lol, now for my 2 yen worth.

I agree with the comments above, mostly. However:

Hirafu - is a cool place with plenty of things to do - especially if you explore a bit. If you avoid the overly busy places you don't get the too many foreigners effect. It is a great little town. Unfortunately you occasionally see the ugly Aussie side that many complain about. One example was when I went clubbing and a guy hit on every girl and tried to pick a fight with every guy. He got tossed out 4 times. It's weird, I've skied places in Canada with just as many Aussies and I've never seen behaviour like you occasionally get in Hirafu. The important thing is that it is occasional and if you avoid the really busy places you will never see it. Skiing wise it can get big queues at the weekend. Lots of competition for pow.

Higashiyama - There is more than the Prince (ick). There is the Black Diamond Lodge! Excellent restaurant and bar that is open to outsiders. They do a big(ish) air comp too! If you want to go out, Hirafu isn't far away. Also the excellent Onsens near Anuupuri aren't far either. However Higashiyama, like Annupuri, can't even really be called villages whereas Hirafu is definitely a town. There were comments about the lifts being shut - when the Higash gondola is shut you catch the bus to somewhere else. Having a car is definitely useful as there are a bunch more ski fields you can visit.

Skiing wise Higashiyama is much quieter - even when Hirafu is packed at the weekends. You can ski Higashiyama and Annupuri and avoid Hirafu altogether. If you want to go to Hanazono you can get back by only using one Hirafu lift and that lift doesn't attract huge queues. Can be good pow. If they ever open up the forbidden areas it will be fantastic, the pow is great! Or so I'm told... ;\)

Annupuri - head there when the top lifts are closed. The gondola there almost never closes and you get the place almost to yourself. The Hirafu-ites get trapped in Hirafu and can't go anywhere else, especially if the Higashiyama gondola is closed as well. Generally the best off piste pow here!

Hanazono - great off piste pow if you don't mind walking out. But there can be avalanche danger. The Kami Ramen rocks!

Niseko and Kutchan: These are "real" towns and are independent from skiing. Worth visiting for a more Japanese experience and some real shops and some great restaurants.

SB-Sally: can you PM me the bad foreign owned agent you used? I think I know who they are, but probably shouldn't say their name out loud!

Oops, that was more like 5 yen worth...

In my opinion Annupuri has more interesting off-piste, especially if you hike from the gate to the peak of the mountain. There are quite a number of routes you can take, all which end up at Annupuri base... and the two natural halfpipes (gulleys) that continue for a few kilometers each mean endless slashing on powder days to finish speeding down powder runs...

I remember getting first tracks at Annupuri four or five times last March/April at 12:00pm, 1:00pm etc...!!!

I haven't gotten a chance to ride back-bowl yet, or the area between back-bowl and the front face of Hirafu, but Annupuri definitely was plenty last season and I ended up spending most of my days in that area. Less people on the piste as well, so as a hard-booter there's more room to lay down carves!

There's talk of new pensions/hotels going up in that area, however, so who knows what next season will be like. They are revising the hirafu area though, restructuring the terrain on the bottom to make it more gradual and gentle, a 'beginner area.' No more sudden steep drops before the hirafu gondola.

Oh, and another advantage of Annupuri is that staying in that area you're just a hop skip and bus-ride away from Mo'iwa...

Of course, as some people have mentioned, if you're interested in the night-life you might as well forget east of Hirafu... but I'm here for the powder :p

"They are revising the hirafu area though, restructuring the terrain on the bottom to make it more gradual and gentle, a 'beginner area.' No more sudden steep drops before the hirafu gondola."

oh geeze, people are going to be pushing themselves to the gondola..