OK so the new Japanese cabinet (?) has been announced and the new guy at houmu-sho (?) made his first talk about how he is going to battle youth problems and gaikokujin hanzai (foreigner crime). He didn't seem to mention the crimes committed by Japanese.

What I want to know is - is there a huge amount of crime by foreigners here, totally out of proportion with that done by natives of this lovely land?

Soubriquette is firmly of the opinion that a disproportionate amount of crime is committed by foreigners, and that they tend to be crimes of more violent nature.

I don't know what the figures are, so I won't comment. She does exclude educated westerners from her criticism though, so that excludes this demographic, and me. Phew

Zenophobia to an extent but I do think there's a lot of foreing theft. That's what happens when you rely on cheap illegal foreign labour when times are good, then fire them when things go sour. Unemployed with no identity. It's about theft and drugs though, not violence. If they want to turn things around they could provide more language and academic support for immigrant worker's children in the public school system among other things.

figures lie and liers figure, go figure

foreign "criminality" - WTF kinda word is that? Sounds like it was pulled outta a J-E dictionary by somebody...

I found something more recent last year at my old school but dont have the link anymore \:\(

Good link there Oyuki thumbsup.gif I was gonna mention that a lot of Japan experts who regularly post on the NBR Japan forums often say this exact thing in relation to foreign crime being completely misrepresented in the Japanese mind and media.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
figures lie and liers figure, go figure

foreign "criminality" - WTF kinda word is that? Sounds like it was pulled outta a J-E dictionary by somebody...

I found something more recent last year at my old school but dont have the link anymore \:\(

Ha! \:\) I liked the J-E dictionary remark, reminds me of some of my students over here. But seriously, you have never heard that word before? I'm by no means defending the author (or any of his typos), but that's not an uncommon word here. (Because we're just a bunch of crooks in the US!) But, original -> originality, criminal -> criminality. Is it that much of a stretch?

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20061004f1.html

and

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20070904a5.html

have some interesting information in them. Im doing capital punishment in one of my classes this semester.

Nagase said this last year when he first took office, "The issue of accepting workers from overseas is something that I've been working on since I first became a lawmaker," he said.

He also acknowledged that balancing Japan's worker shortage and the growing concern regarding the number of crimes committed by foreigners is tricky."

Xenophopia runs rampant. Even with the old info posted by OK the percentage isnt close. What crimes are we going to compare too? Stealing and drug dealing, in my eyes, would be lesser crimes than committing murder or raping somebody. How many aliens are commiting those? Farkall compared with the J-population.

"Hatoyama was quick to display his determination to heed Abe's call, quickly supporting capital punishment and pointing to the threat of crimes committed by foreigners."

He is probably related to Ishihara - The guy is only in power to due to his family's influence and background rather than having anything knowledgeable to offer.

Sometimes Japanese people have asked me - what do you think of the gaikokuhin hanzai problem. Not sute why, do they think I am "involved" somehow, or feel some kind of connection with the foreign thugs. It makes me feel rather uncomfortable.