Can I please pick the brains of you SJ Gurus?

This year my J trip will be a little later in the season. Late March/early April.

I know that a lot of resorts will still have snow at that time of year, I dont want wet snow/rain( i can get that here), I still want light dry powder.(i'm a real snow snob these days). Looking at some of the reviews and stats, it doesn't look too good. Hokkaido seems to have the better snow quality at that time of year.

Any advice would be great, even if it is heavily laced with bias. \:D

Luck of the draw as at anytime of the year. I had a great powder day on the top of Tsugaike at the end of April if that is any consolation. We had the best snowfalls last season in early March in Hakuba. I say just choose some big mountains and pray to Huey.

OK, Mantas. I love spring skiing. But it's a different sport. It's about sun and soft snow. It's about hitting the moguls or getting big air in the park. It's about a cold beer on the patio at lunch and then more after 4. It's NOT about waking up early and frantically scarfing down as much carbohydrates as you can, then lining up at an ungodly hour to get first tracks.

So where should you go? I would not go to Hokkiado in the end of March. Even if it's below zero, you might be more likely to be skiing on ice from a previous thaw. Ten above freezing is often much better than 3 below in the spring. It's soft. Now you may be thinking 'Yeah, but I can get spring slush at Thredbo anytime'. That may be true. But in any of the major snowbelts in Japan the snow depth is not far off it's peak in mid-late March. And the crowds are way down. It's warmer in the cities so people don't think of skiing, but on the mountains there're still at least a couple of meters of snow. I don't think you get that at Thredbo. Not to mention, the snowpack is settled in the backcountry and the weather is great for a little hike. So anyway, where should you go? I would go somewhere with lots of terrain and a big vertical drop. Somewhere with accessible backcountry and somewhere with steep runs both on an off piste. (I guess that sounds like Hakuba.) A big vertical drop and lots of terrain means you can pick the elevation and exposure with the best snow conditions, which is much more important in the spring when you might see three seasons in one day on a big mountain. Also if you not a pro-rider already, you might find you challenge yourself a little more in the spring. Softer snow slows you down too much on a mild pitch and makes steeps, moguls or the park (?) much more friendly. Good visibility, warm muscles and a slight beer buzz may also enhance your performance. So go somewhere with some interesting challenging terrain and think about getting into the backcountry too. There are good reasons to go to Niseko --I still think Niseko has the best odds for good early-season snow. But in the spring, I'd go to Hakuba for sure.

(Plus, it does snow at the end of March too, so if you're really lucky you will get powder... where ever you go. But on the other hand, it can rain pretty hard too. I'd be out anyways, as long as the snow is soft.)

Id just pick a resort areat that you'd like to be at in the first place. Nobody can tell you where will be good cuz nobody knows. Niseko goes off still at the end of March, as does Hakuba, or possibly anywhere else. If you dont get the snow youre after make sure it has other things like terrain, onsens, restaurants, whatever you might like there.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Id just pick a resort areat that you'd like to be at in the first place.

Mid winter --maybe anyplace will do.... but early or late season.... you may want to be a little more particular. Anyway, I never go skiing in the spring thinking that it's gonna be 'second rate'.... spring skiing kicks ass. \:D

Thanks guys. I really appreciate this kind of feed back. thumbsup.gif

Going in late march is not my choice. My selfish,inconsiderate pommy inlaws have planned a wedding and that mucks up my whole J-powder fix. mad.gif

I tried to get them to move the wedding but they just don't understand powder, they kept prattling on about THEIR big day ect..ect..

It will be a blast no matter where I go because for the first time I'll be taking the kids too. It's just the inner powder pig in me that is hanging onto the hope some deep powder. \:\)

i've scored late march powder in hokkaido, but yeah, that was one of the final dumps of the season and it warmed up quickly...

if you go somewhere with good BC, at least you could do a day or two of guided touring, and then have fun with your kids on the spring piste. plus you may luck into some great late season dumps

i'm no expert, but maybe hakuba could be a good choice?

>It's just the inner powder pig in me that is hanging onto the hope some deep powder.

As us too Mantas. One of my deepest days ever was with FT and Toque at the end of March/April 2005...that was the epic year though!! Fack Hakuba was goin off!! \:D

End of March is often unpredictable - it can be very springlike or suddenly turn back into winter. Last season more the former unfortunately. Here's hoping for a more winter-like winter (and late winter)

Originally Posted By: Indo
I'd be going to Indo..

Thought about Indo Indo. We have friends going in March, they are trying to get us to go. these are the same people i did trips with more than 20 years ago.
I just dont think I could handle it anymore. plus i think I'd spend half my time walking around saying
"Back in 85 no-one surfed here" and "In 87 there was no road here....blah..blah...blah"
  • 1 month later...

Furano is certainly still pretty cold in late March but as it gets considerably less snowfalls than Niseko area or most the areas in Honshu I'd tip that it would pretty damn icy. I could be wrong, need someone who has spent some time in Furano to advise.

thanks GN. I might wait till the week before I go, check the snow and decide then. lol.gif

I've just been flicking through the snow stats for March 05,06 and 07. pretty impressive. What are the crowds like then?

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I'd tip that it would pretty damn icy.

As soon as they get a thaw--freeze, they'll need enough snow to resurface and Furano doesn't seem to get the dumps. Then again, end of March, the slightly warmer weather may bring huge dumps to central Hokkaido while Niseko gets drizzle. Furano might be the last place around with kick ass deep winter conditions. Or it might be the hardest iciest place in Japan. Damn, these decisions are stressful! eek.gif ;\) You'd better go to Furano so that you can report back to us since no one on here seems to know that much about the place!
 Originally Posted By: ger
Damn, these decisions are stressful! eek.gif ;\) You'd better go to Furano so that you can report back to us since no one on here seems to know that much about the place!

It's all too much......I'm gunna have a meltdown soon....... crazy.gif crazy.gif crazy.gif