Yeh I like the Subaru I havent had one for a while since I prefer bigger 4WD like my Pajero but I have hired the Subaru a few times in recent years.

Will try and get some maps here, i have some from Tourist Info at Australia Square but they are not that good.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk to Clayton at the Black Diamond Lodge in Higashiyama as they do various tours. I helped them scope out some snowmobile BC tours last season. They also hire 4wd Delica vans, some with GPS systems.

Clayton is a snow mad Canadian but has been living in Japan for yonks so can help you out with places to go in Hokkaido.

God I sound like an ad. Must see about a bottle of whiskey...

Originally Posted By: Journey Man
Talk to Clayton at the Black Diamond Lodge in Higashiyama as they do various tours. I helped them scope out some snowmobile BC tours last season. They also hire 4wd Delica vans, some with GPS systems.

Clayton is a snow mad Canadian but has been living in Japan for yonks so can help you out with places to go in Hokkaido.

Great advice, looked up the web site and have emailed re the vehicle rental, would be perfect for us.

Well back to the Oz Season, I was in Falls Creek over the weekend, Thursday and Friday had seen the entire mountain on wind hold and Saturday was also bad, we had white out with rain and moderate winds. I chose to stay indoors.

Sunday (today) was much better, I went out for the morning and expected the cover to be very soft following the rain however overnight it had frozen to a very solid icy cover. I made the mistake of taking my Fischer AMC 76 ski's out expecting the cover to be soft, I should have stuck with my Fischer RC4 ski's today. Anyway it was a fun morning before I had to head back for lunch and then head home.

Its started snowing tonight so lets hope some of the rain damage is fixed up again.

Originally Posted By: Journey Man

I have booked one of these Delica for my trip, really good price and I am really please your advice helped us, I have saved about 140,000 yen and got a bigger vehicle.

delicas_4.jpg

Thanks

The Oz season is ticking along with dribs and drabs of snow coming in. Not too much to rave about though. I wont be rushing back.

This is my mate Scotty getting high in the Aussie high country. Fresh from heli skiing in NZ a few days before I took this shot.

DSCF0557.jpg

I think you can't compare the Aus season to somewhere like Japan, so altho the snow probably isn't anywhere near the standard of Japan it could still be fine for a good days boarding. Like I7ve said before, I learned to board in Scotland and once you can do it there you can do it anywhere!! Also you then think that EVERY place you go boarding is awesome, just because its miles better than what I'm used to

I would call this season average at best but good enough to be very satisfied so far, I had a fantastic weekend skiing this weekend, sunny days and good cover but signs that we may have past the peak are very evident.

We are however in the worst drought in 100 years so this was a good outcome, the farming area I live in has turned very green but the growth is minimal and there has been little rain for the past month.

What started as encouraging rain and snow in July has seemed to dry up over the past three to four weeks with little sign of change. We will most likely see skiing through to the end of September as we still have a 90cm base as long as it does not get to warm to quickly.

Yeah Soubs, if 6 metres fell in Scotland I think we'd all have our Kilts in a twist!! We get nothing like that, probably even less than what Oz gets. It makes you really appreciate the good stuff when you get a chance to board it

Comparing Oz to Japan (or anywhere else for that matter) is not worth the thought.

The thing that gets me is how much they talk it up. I'd say the majority of Aussie boarders and skiers have been skiing overseas at some point, so they know what good snow is, yet they talk it up anyway.

On the way home I heard one reporter say, "We've had an awesome 6 cm over night".

It was 6 cm of the heaviest wettest snow I've ever seen.

You take it for what it is. A beautiful place to have some fun. And the best bit is you can drive there from your house. If you are into parks them you'll have a blast too.