Now lets get this thread back on track!

Mantas and crew (mantas far left)

This photo was taken by Perisher Blue and used on the official web site last week.

Snowshot.jpg

Damm paparazzi! Never leave me alone sjangry.gif

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how good is the season

I added an updated report to my web site after an amazing weeks skiing at Falls Creek.

http://ausi-ski-bum.com/Falls-Creek-Snow-ReportA.htm

I also took a number of photo's and posted them here, enjoy

http://forums.asb-alpine.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=62688#62688

Here are a few from that page

12-08-06-267.jpg

12-08-06-269.jpg

12-08-06-276.jpg

12-08-06-281.jpg

12-08-06-286.jpg

12-08-06-292.jpg

12-08-06-295.jpg

12-08-06-301.jpg

Nice one ASB. I'll check out your web site one day when I have more time. thumbsup.gif

They still do the Falls to Hothem Chopper ay. I did that once when it first started, it cost $49

Falls has a great village atmosphere. The terrain is mostly intermediate and it doesn't have a lot of vert but has good access to safe backcountry. I can recommend going there for a good aussie snow experience. Nice pics ASB.

My worst skiing experience was at Aviemore (no insult meant to the Scots, stout rodent). Overnight Friday bus trip. Saturday was blowing a gale, and pissing with rain. 1/2 hour lift queues. Sunday ditto, followed by an overnight bus trip back to London.

The locals were stoic, well disciplined and cheerful. One was skiing in a kilt. I love Scotland.

I've skied in Oz too. Prefer the latter, but neither compare with Japan.

No snow gums, in fact there are no trees of any kind on Scotland's hills, I just meant that the pics kinda reminded me of scotland, with bushes poking through the snow base. Yeah the ski industry is really taking a pounding, mother nature has not been friendly to Scottish Skiers. Aviemore is really the only viable resort in Scotland, it gets a decent amount of snow, its the furthest north and is in the middle of the Cairngoms mountain range. What they need to do is use snow cannons to make the base, the winter temps are more often than not below 0, and wait for the natural snow to hit, then at least there would be a longer season, but won't invest in them for some reason, probably cost. But with the Alps only 1-2 hours away by plane, we won't complain too much!!

TB thats sad re the Snowmaking, Falls Creek has investred over 10 Million on snowmaking and they can pump out 220 litres a second of water converting to snow, they can make in excess of 20,000 cubic metres in a 24 hour period, without this comitment in 2006 we would have hardly opened instead we skied the entire season except opening weekend (although on a limited number of runs).

It suprises me Scotland does it tough I always assumed they would have had much better snow than us.

Our mountains aren't really that big, and our prevailing wind direction follows the Gulf-Stream from the Carribean ( a SW wind), this brings warm and wet weather as opposed to the cold weather we would get from a Northerly or Easterly wind. The whole climate change thing is really having an effect on scottish winters, they are becoming milder (but still cold) with less and less snow. Aviemore would be able to sustain more snow days if they had snow making machines. The largest "resort" in Scotland is Glenshee, which is only about 40 mins drive away from my house. Its spread over 3 valleys and when it snows, the skiing can be great. but it only has snow making facilities on 1 run and the access tow. So last year, i had groups of kids up their learning to ski, and the 1 run was fine for them, but I thought that if the cover can be like this on one run, why not invest on a few more runs to widen the available terrain when the weather isn't so good?? Its a mystery!!

I guess Scotland being in the Northern Hemisphere has so much competition in Europe it would be hard to justify the expense of infrastructure like snowmaking, Australia has the advantage that there is little competition at that time of the year other than NZ and South Amerca which is very expensive to get to.

As the Aussies here know we are the only country in the world that could hyperthetically hold the Summer and Winter Olympics on the same week ( that is if we had some verticle long enough for the couses). When the Sydney Olympics was on we were still skiing on the opening and closing events.

I am staying at Niseko (well between Hirafu and Higashiyama) and while based there we have a car and will be traveling to other lesser visited resorts as well. We are looking or a full day snowmobile tour and are visiting a few other centres on days off.

I have hired a vehicle (4wd Subaru Wagon) but unfortunatly the hire places only have Japanese speaking GPS so I hope I can get around.

We found that a bit of a problem, ASB. Find someone who reads Japanese and speaks English to program it for you, if you can. Otherwise, just get some (paper) maps of where you want to go, and use the maps on the GPS to know where you are, and get where you want to be. We did OK with this method, getting around Hakuba and surrounds (and even into Nagano City, Nozawa Onsen, and Shiga Kogen) earier this year. In a Subaru Legacy wagon, too.