I was chatting with BOC on the shout box and it got me thinking...

Does anyone have any great business ideas in Japan. Primarily ones that could harness the untapped gaijin talent in this country that is overwork and underpaid for thier efforts?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teaching English to Japanese is well represented here and the companies that are doing it have driven the wage into the ground - I don't know that you could make good money, or help others make good money in that line...

I'm not looking for a Job here, I'm looking for business ideas...

What is AET? Adult Entertainment Television?

there's a reasonably fun one in Shikoku that has an interesting 27 holes.

Spook have you been to botanic golf in Perth? Not fantastic but fun with the mates having a muck around \:\)

It sounds like money is the most important thing to you SirJib. (Sorry if I'm wrong, just going on what I remember of your posts and talk just before on chat).

Lots of people I know enjoy their lifestyle out in the countryside here in Japan on relatively small wages. They might not get a huge wage, but they often have Quality Of Life - they live in a nice large place in the middle of the quiet countryside, have good friends, enjoy their work, stress free lifestyle, enjoy their beautiful surroundings and wouldn't swap it for 10 times the money plonked in the middle of Tokyo.

It sounds like a beaut to me that.

I agree with the fragrent one. Mind you I've already made the lifestyle choice, so I'm bound to.

Tokyo's the biggest market but do you really enjoy living there? I don't have much money, but I'm surrounded by rice fields and mountains. The air and the rivers are clean. I can be skiing in 20 minutes. By my guessing stick, that makes me rich. Why not grasp this as an opportunity to re-set the controls?

Why not become a "gaijin talent" or start an agency for such things. You will be able to sleep at night knowing you are doing something worthwhile and become famous for doing silly things at the same time. Or maybe not.

sirjib, I recall you saying in a previous thread that you were going to float on the interest of your savings.

And, an attempt to be serious, why don't you have a website yet? why aren't you importing and exporting things that require no over-head and very little staff? Honestly... why are you asking a bunch of ski bums?

I'll turn your money over for you. I have business ideas every fricking day. I just don't have the capital to pull them off. And quite frankly, am not about to just say; "Hey dude, here's my goal... take it from me."

I have to admit- these threads... "What do I do with my money?" is fricking killing me.

Start with godaddy.com

get rolling, dude.

professional nomihodai goer??

Um...like Samurai says, Idon't know you from Adam, and even if I did and I had a brilliant business plan, I wouldn't talk about it on a public forum!! I'd prefer to get running first, make a ton of money then tell ppl how I got my idea......I just don't have one \:\(

I know I wanna snowboard all the time...... \:\)

I suppose this started off as a joke. I was asking the question "How can I make $30M a/year". I have a very unrealistic goal (but you have to aim high right), of making $300M (dollars, not yen) in ten years. I figure if you shoot for the stars and only make it half way, that's not bad. I'm sorry if anyone was under the impression that I was already making $30M, sorry to mislead - I don't make that kind of cash.

Money isn't actually important to me, it's the freedom that it provides. If I had to be a slave to my job, than it's not worth the money. I like the country side, but i'm a city boy - I love Tokyo, it's a great place (for me, but not for everyone).

I'm not looking to steal anybody's ideas, but I think highly of this group (rightly or wrongly so) and think that there is a creative force here. If you have a brilliant idea and intend to use it, by all means - keep it a secret and do it. But if there is something you think would be useful, but hasn't been addressed and you want someone else to do it - why not throw it out there? If I don't do it, maybe someone else will and you could all benefit. I'm not selfish - i'm willing to share....even if I dont' know you from Adam because we all share a common bond, the call of the mountain.

I shall refrain from posting for a while...

I would think that even half way to your stars is just totally unrealistic for most people. So I can see why all this talk of such huge numbers (30 million yen, never mind 30 million dollars!) has the chance of rubbing some people slightly the wrong way. I have found this so many times in my life, people can get awfully sensitive about issues like money and salary.

But just as you started it as a bit of a joke, don't take the responses so seriously as well!

I suppose if someone does have an amazing idea that they might want to pursue one day then they won't be sharing it. Anyway, lets hope someone gives us their golden idea \:\)

No need to refrain from posting (silly boy) ;\) --- best of luck with the whatever you're up to. Come on I'll buy you a pint and a bag of crisps.

wave.gif

Everybody should just lighten up, we come here for enjoyment and that's what we should aim to give others on this forum.

Jibs started it as a joke and I for one am glad he did.

Import/Export mate. That's the one thing that will never be saturated.