nozawa is a nice place. Love the terrain there and would like to spend more time at noz. excellent onsens though a few are a bit too hot. cant drink beer in the onsens there at all - theyre quite strict about that. the ambience at night is pretty chilled too with lots of izakayas and other rests/bars.

as others have said about shiga its a great mountain but almost nothing there in terms of restaurants and bars. nice local beer up there named after the resort, think they have a weiss, porter, pale ale, and an IPA maybe. nightlife would be limited to drinking in the hotel if youre on the Yokoteyama side. Yokoteyama is skiers only. Only have 1 real nice run there but was waist deep there 2 years ago and was the only one hitting it. Its more of your typical boring skier j-style really. Trees are nice too and patrol is almost null-n-void. Never heard of anybody getting nabbed there for poaching. Temps there feel coolder than elsewhere too cuz of elevation.

think either place is great but if you want night life you should look elsewhere....but youll have a kick@ss time regardless of where you go.

I heard these reasons:

- lots of the courses up there are very long and narrow, not suited to boarding;

- a large % of customers are school trips, all of them skiing;

- they want to

(Don't shout at me, just saying what I heard)

Boarding is just another form of snow riding I have no idea why so many years after the invention of Boards that we still find resorts with restrictions. About the only place ski's still outdo Boards is in Moguls and bumps, every where else both skiers and boarders are pretty much the same.

I ski BTW

I have been looking on some past snow reports around Feburary 2007 (same sort of dates I have planned) and I don't see much snow fall! - sometimes you get 20cm then days on end of 0cm!

I thought it dumped quite alot!

Can anyone confirm this? should I (as a powder monkey) be looking for somewhere with more snow fall, what is a place like that?

Last year was a bad year for snow although they still had a three metre base up top here in Hakuba and a bad year in Japan is still a hell of a lot better than Australia's best season. Check back a few years. Feb should be fine. March had the biggest snow storm for the season this year.

Late Feb was actually a gamble this last season 06/07, even in places like SK. But hopefully that was just a freak season. Usually late Feb should be very good.