Aren't animals just great. I love 'em, and I am actually thinking of moving where I live and work so that I can have a less stressful existance and get some dogs and other animals.

I'm not sure what I would have. Heard of cats and dogs getting on, but also heard of them not. I'd like to have a big pond as well and get lots of fish and other critters going on in there.

Anyone ever kept anything other than a dog or a cat?

we only had budgies BOC. Silly things they were too. We used to let them fly around inside for exercise. One flew into the pop-up toaster and got stuck in the bread groove! We had to dismantle the toaster to get the thing out. The other flew between a bookcase and the wall and got wedged in there! lol.gif Now that I'm older I wouldn't keep birds. They are one animal that are really miserable in cages.

My grandparents used to have a budgie and even when I was small I felt sorry for the poor little guy in that small cage all day. Pretty little thing he was too. I can't remember ever seeing him out of that cage.

i like bords that cruise around and then just come back. one of my mates has a cockatoo called boris. he has a cage with the door permanently open, and spends most of the day just pottering around in their courtyard. he's free to do as he please, but seems to always come back.

and i've seen a few hippies with birds that just sit on their shoulders and hang out. that's pretty rad.

god knows how you train a bird to do that though.

i've always wanted a wombat. but i hear they're angry little animals

we had friends who had a wombat! It was a very cool but stubborn animal. Went through 5 bedroom doors before they finally gave up and allowed it to come into their bedroom and sleep on their bed. The thing used to scratch through the doors! lol.gif Was not angry though smile.gif

sweet. when i go live in my dream house with a massive chunk of bush on the coast somewhere, i'll get some wombats.

wasn't there someone on these forums a years or so ago, who moved to tas? i remember he posted some rad pics of his house in the bush

dunno. I don't remember that, but might have missed it. These people actually lived on a big farm-like plot of land out of Canberra, and the wombat came in and made friends with them. After a few months they started to let it into the house, and eventually put in a dog-door for it to come and go as it pleased! It lived with them for about 4 years and then just disappeared one day. They thought it had died until months later it showed up followed by 4 little baby wombats. It walked them in for a viewing before disappearing into the bush with them, never to be seen again. I have a pic somewhere of me holding the massive thing. At the time it was almost as big as me! lol.gif

Originally Posted By: spook
sweet. when i go live in my dream house with a massive chunk of bush on the coast somewhere, i'll get some wombats.
wasn't there someone on these forums a years or so ago, who moved to tas? i remember he posted some rad pics of his house in the bush

that was miteyak \:\) Wonder how the inaka Taz is treatin him?
 Originally Posted By: Bushpig
dunno. I don't remember that, but might have missed it. These people actually lived on a big farm-like plot of land out of Canberra, and the wombat came in and made friends with them. After a few months they started to let it into the house, and eventually put in a dog-door for it to come and go as it pleased! It lived with them for about 4 years and then just disappeared one day. They thought it had died until months later it showed up followed by 4 little baby wombats. It walked them in for a viewing before disappearing into the bush with them, never to be seen again. I have a pic somewhere of me holding the massive thing. At the time it was almost as big as me! lol.gif

i am a vegetarian, and i when i try to argue the benefits of it, i try not to rely on basing reasons on supposed 'human traits' that we share. And i try to be sceptical myself, but stories like that just kind of blow me away.

What in a animals 'instinct' would make it come back to the family? Not for food it seems... What other reason would it have?

i love animals

it's funny how people just go ga-ga about animals. i like animals but i often think it's weird that we keep pets - one species adopting another species for companionship is a bit odd when you think about it.

most weekends i try and go up or down the coast looking for waves. more often than not we'll see roos and emus in the bush, and often dolphins in the surf. as cliched as it may seem, i get a real buzz out of it. the other day a baby dolphin, about a metre long, was happily frolicking in the shallows about 2 m away from us. waaaaay cool.

If I said I loved animals would I have to include cicadas (semi)? I hate them. There are so many in my apartment complex & semi season is approaching. Scary stuff.

Hate jellyfish too, just blobbing about in the water. Can never seem to swim away from them cos there are just too many. Took MMT to the beach yesterday & was planning on letting him have his first dip in the ocean, but the tideline was a mass of jellyfish and the sea was full of floating trash so I gave up!