Some people don't actually like skiing/snowboarding!

Hard to believe isn't it? My friend back home went snowboarding for a week - her first time - and really didn't like it. From what I gather she didn't have an accident and the weather was fine -- she just didn't like it! For me I suppose the only things that I'm not keen on are the getting up in the cold and maybe the travel to the resort but apart from that it's difficult to see what is not to like especially on a fine sunny day with fresh snow and not many people around.

That is difficult to understand. Some people say they don't want to try it because it's too cold, they just don't get that if anything, most of the time you are too hot. It's difficult to imagine someone trying it and not having fun though - maybe she was just unfit so it was too tiring?

it's kinda scary learning. i know i was terrified of falling over, just because it hurt so bloody much. plus speed is your friend on a snowboard. going a bit faster makes it easier to turn and control yourself. i really had to push myself to get over this hurdle.

as much as i enjoy it, i can see why others don't. it is an expensive way to get cold and hurt yourself.

i don't like aspects of snowboarding, like the park. it just doesn't appeal to me. so i can see why some people don't like the sport altogether

Not trying to start anything, but...all the sitting around on snow would put me off boarding too (though there's plenty of falling over when learning to ski as well).

I also admit that though I love skiing, I've been spoilt by Japan and would enjoy it rather less if there wasn't an onsen to get into afterwards.

Sad, but perhaps it's a good thing that not everybody wants to be out enjoying the mountains in winter

the other school of thought is - how rad would it be if everyone loved going snowboarding/skiiing?

sure, the mountains would be busier, but i'm sure more would open up. plus everyone would be stoked all the time, and your boss would give you heaps of time to ski, and when you stroll into work late after hitting the mountain, everyone would high five you, and and....

think of the buzz you get from skiing - it would be cool if everyone was happy all the time huh?

yeah i know. it was just a bit of a dumb idea.

the whole trendy surfing thing will die in the next ew years i reckon. all the kooks on fun boards will realise it's not that easy and give up. i'd be stoked if it became as cool as rollerblading and mainstream media shunned us all.

but this is a topic for the surfers thread

I get the impression doesn't need "more opening up"! ---- more like "more closing down"!

It's such a great feeling though hard to see someone dislike it. I can see why someone doesn't get excited by running, table tennis, football, rugby etc... but sliding down some fresh powder on a snowboard. What is better?!

The winter last year, we took my mate to Meribel in the 3 valleys in France and he didn't like it. He hardly boarded at all, it was only his 2nd time (the first being a wee trip up the mountains in scotland), but he hated the fact he couldn7t do it straight off thebat. He's pretty unfit though and a major quitter. I also took him mountain biking to Glentress in the Scottish borders and he quit after just making it up the access road!!!! It was steep as ****, but there was a car park there where we were gonna rest before actually heading out onto the trails. He just rested and then free wheeled back down to the car to wait on my brother and I finishing the day.

I love being up a mountain with a plank strapped to my feet....bring it on!!!!

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
Soubriquette can ski but won't. She was a champion athlete in her yoof, and all the cross country training put her off. It's a real shame we can't share it.

My wife didn't ski once this last season! I just don't understand it especially since she got a season pass through her job. Must say though that I'm not that keen on skiing with her as she's nowhere near my standard and teaching the wife skiing is not my idea of fun. We do go snowshoeing together though which is pretty cool.

Tell me about it 2pints! As the heading of this forum states though there are some people who don't actually like skiing all that much...

I really don't understand it but then the less who ski the more freshies for the rest of us!

I very nearly didn't take it up after my first day - which was a nightmare. Weather was bad, I was taken to a place that was too difficult for a complete beginner, snow wasn't the best.... and I sprained my ankle.

Next season though I had another go and it was a whole different experience and I was hooked. I think that first experience is all important.

For lots of people it is just too much hassle. I know quite a few people here in Muikamachi - ski hills all over the place within 5 minutes drive even - and they just find it all very mendo. They're probably not very good, that's probably it! It's very curious when some actually say that they enjoy it when they are up there, just can't be bothered to make the effort.

The other thing is cost. It's not cheap especially when you think about the travel and accommodation costs as well. So if you're not really into it, I can understand why people can see it as a big expensive hassle.

My wife and I met at the Canadian Ski Quest improvement course at Red Mountain, both from Oz (me Gold Coast, her Melbourne). I left my then fiance (who didn't ski) and now we are happily married with one ski-bum-to-be 1 year old, and another on the way. Our number plate is "SKIERS" - keep an eye out for us at Thredbo later in the season.

The more there are who don't like skiing, the more fresh trackes for the rest of us, I say.