where's my friend Soubs...I miss his Yamagata daily weather reports.

Hakkers a glorious day temp at 1c - i might take the kids up the mountain for their first ski of the season

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lots of cloudy looking humid weather early on this morning  

High of 26 forecast for today, after a cool overnight. I like that.

It all melted?!?     Clear here too.

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
Cold cloudy start clearing to a delightfully cold sunny afternoon. Two early flights of swans wheeled in from Shonai to feed here for the day.

wow! that would be an awesome sight.

any pics?

No unfortunately. It was early, and one of those fleeting moments where without a camera in hand you've missed it.

Most of you won't know Shonai. It's the Mogami delta, and the part of Yamagata which fronts the Sea of Japan. There are extensive wetlands which stay free of snow, and the swans come from Siberia to winter there.

http://www.japanfs.org/db/980-e

Magnificent morning in Niseko with mostly clear skies with views of Youtei and everything covered in a dusting of extremely light and dry snow. A little on the cool side though with -10 recorded in Kutchan overnight and still -8 at 9:00am.

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
No unfortunately. It was early, and one of those fleeting moments where without a camera in hand you've missed it.

Most of you won't know Shonai. It's the Mogami delta, and the part of Yamagata which fronts the Sea of Japan. There are extensive wetlands which stay free of snow, and the swans come from Siberia to winter there.

http://www.japanfs.org/db/980-e

ooh aah.. that is an awesome job to get the numbers up in thirty years.

The mogami river boat ride sounds like a good thing to do. Maybe i might check it out when i get over there.

Bali was a fantastic holiday. Memorable, but only 5 pics. Apart from the chilling out around the pool, and a spot of shopping in Kuta, a couple of days stand out.

We were staying in Sanur. I snorkelled out to the reef and back, and the lagoon Looked in pretty fair shape, with plenty of seagrass. Lots of coral debris with some live patches. A couple of days later I hired a fisherman to take me past the reef, and he dropped me over a lovely spot with excellent coral, and abundant fish. I was well chuffed with that.

Another day we hired a motorbike, and and rode out to the eastern tip of the Island. East of Candidasa was a visual treat. It was great being on a bike, because you get a much greater sense of being in the environment. You can smell the smells and feel the air change from hot to warm as you pass from sun to shade.

Best of all, soubriquette enjoyed it enough to be planning a motorbike circumnavigation next trip. She suffers an inexplicable inability to read my mind, and therefore left my daypack with the camera at the hotel. No motorbike photos. Next time then.

All in all, a great trip, and we found plenty of new stuff.