• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lots of cloudy looking humid weather early on this morning  

High of 26 forecast for today, after a cool overnight. I like that.

It all melted?!?     Clear here too.

melting here today, was out on my bike this morning, scorchio!! Decided to go snorkelling off the back enoshima to cool off, very nice until I saw a couple of jellyfish and I hightailed it outta there

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
but good for the dwindling water supplies.....no?

Just found this report from the West Australian TB - looks like Perth is doing OK in the water department at the moment.... Now when reading this remember that we have RECORD population growth and urban sprawl and NO NEW DAMS to meet the increased water needs of the community. So by my reckoning even if the rainfall/water inflow to Dams was maintained then we would be in a worsening situation as the needs of the populace have grown. However it seems this is not the case.

Originally Posted By: West Australian Newspaper
The South-West's biggest water source, Wellington Dam has begun to overflow for the fourth time in almost a decade.

The dam is at its 186-billion litre capacity and Water Corporation spokesman Phil Kneebone said while the flow was currently just a trickle, later today or this evening he expected the overflow to be quite a spectacle.

"It will no doubt again be a short-lived tourist attraction and we expect for the week or two it overflows there will be many visitors," Mr Kneebone said.

Most South-West dams which supply drinking water to various towns and water for irrigation are about 10 per cent more full than this time last year, with 10 of the 23 dams now overflowing.

Meanwhile, Perth's 13 metropolitan dams are at 51.5 per cent of capacity with 209.5 gigalitres of available water - the highest storage level in 12 years.

Furthermore, the dams are 63 billion litres fuller than this time last year.

Mr Kneebone said close to two billion litres of water had flowed into the dams in the past 24 hours even though rainfall had dropped during the past three to four days.

"We would now expect that we will get to at least 53 per cent or more before inflow stops for the year," Mr Kneebone said.

Where they get the 51.5% from I dont know....these are the actual Metro Dam figures dam by dam... we got plenty water this year!!
Bickley Pumpback Dam 85.00%
Canning Dam 58.89%
Churchman Brook Dam 91.25%
Conjurunup Pipe Head Dam 100.00%
Lower Helena Pumpback Dam 100.00%
Mundaring Dam 70.70%
North Dandalup Dam 39.60%
Serpentine Main Dam 55.87%
Serpentine Pipehead Dam 69.71%
South Dandalup Dam 29.42%
Stirling Dam (Metro Supply) 105.71%
Victoria Dam 70.64%
Wungong Dam 50.48%

Seems to me it is only the 2 Dandalup dams dragging the figures down really.... Serpentine is a huge dam and 55% is excellent for that dam.

Originally Posted By: ratherb@thesnow
MB, we need the rain, there will be plenty more days of sunshine coming, especially for you guys over there.

Our Dams are overflowing over here ratherb@thesnow, yes we are usually an arid state, but this year we have had pretty much 6 months of non stop rain. A very different story to you guys on the Eastern seaboard.

rain when its freezing cold s shite, but rain when its warm is ok. I especially like playing footy in the rain when its warm. Slicks the pitch up nicely for good thunderous tackles!! Get dirty as well!! smile