• Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, the first year is the toughest, that's for sure. It will get easier, but I reckon the time demands will get to you eventually. They have for me, and my place isn't anywhere near as full on as yours sounds.

lol.gif I have enough down time throughout the day spook. But the meetings, extra-curricular activities, committees, Saturday classes, and club activities all make for a very full week with very little time away from work.

CB, nothing can ge that good if you have to give up your free time.. don't try and kid yourself otherwise!

As for clubs, being a parent here it would be a difficult call to not let your kid do one, or make them change every year. Being non 100% Japanese already makes them stand out and if you enforce the above it could make it well worse.

My Jnr High 1st grade student was coming to Australia with us for my schools annual homestay over Xmas. Baseball club wouldn't have it.. or the beating would have been too hard. I guess they're all jealous that he could have done something more interesting than sweep the pitch all winter.

Only pleasure I'd get out of clubs here would be watching my son's beating the crap out of any wanker senpai's that tried to lay a hand on em. In defense of course ;\) But that ain't going to happen coz no.1 will be in Ozzie schooling from next year.

After two years at my school, I told my wife that if our kid likes sports, we're moving to the states.

With all the practicing, you'd think more japanese would be in the Major Leagues, or winning the World Cup, or even the occasional (non-judo) gold medal. Seriously, on a world-class scale, Japan is not famous for its athletics.

I feel insanely sorry for the coaches who live on campus with the students and cook their meals and do their laundry. Shite. They aren't allowed girlfriends. For real.

i was recently informed by my co-worker that one of the major reasons clubs practice with such intensity is because a teacher's club performance will seriously affect HIS (not her) potential for promotion. so many teachers will keep the kids at clubs till 7 or even 8, so that they will look as though they are doing their best at the whole ganbette bullshite and hopefully become kocho-sensei. mean while these poor kids on the soft tennis team are going nearly 8 hours without food, and running upwards of 20km a day.

Thats and interesting point daver..

20km's is such a lot for kids to run. Haven't they heard that you can get better results from intervals (unless it's the marathon club!)

Originally Posted By: Indosnm
Haven't they heard that you can get better results from intervals (unless it's the marathon club!)

nope. you get the best results through gambatte.

>mean while these poor kids on the soft tennis team are going nearly 8 hours without food, and running upwards of 20km a day.

Daver, is that on a Saturday/Sunday practice? I cant see how they have enough time to run that much nor actually believe theyre actually running that much...especially weekday...weekend I could buy it but...I'd kick that coaches arse if he was making them do that much.

Club is military

mad.gif

I used to join soccer club at my SHS, it was quite relaxed. They practiced for abuot 3 hours, including a 45min game at the end. People would come and go. Only thing I thought bad about it was that they played even when its dark with a crappy light in the corner - dangerous and pointless, and also there was little competiveness.

I always tried to get them to do a bit of dirty play, pulling shirts, obstruction etc but they didnt get it. So I agree there is a feeling of 'doing it to death' as BP said and a lack of skill advancement due to lack of competitiveness.

But I think it depends on the situation and there are good/bad schools and even good/bad clubs within a school so you cant tar them all with the same brush.

"is that on a Saturday/Sunday practice?"

actually no, regular weekday practice. clubs are especially serious up here in the inaka. they usually go to 7:30-8:00 at my school. granted the kids aren't running that much every night, but it is not out of the ordinary.

consider too that these kids only eat a tin of rice, boiled cabbage and two deep fried minnows for lunch.

Yes. Haha, the teachers at our local school I think are out of there before 4pm on a normal day. Japanese teachers listen on in envy and disbelief when they hear about the hours their English counterparts do. (I wonder if there is more to it than that though - do they prepare things at home and do things over summer?)

both of my folks were teachers in canada, they took their work home with them and i can assure you they were usually quite busy. they did not however in any way feel obliged to make the school their second residence of sorts.

Need I repeat--? My baseball, and Judo coach live on campus. (Perhaps more, for all I know.)They have practice before school and after. Most athletes also live on campus. The coaches are NOT allowed girlfriends. All non-school days are training days. I'm not F*ing with you... They honestly are not allowed girlfriends. Two very handsome, atheltic men in their 30's are not allowed to date because it would inflict on some 15 year-old's training.

Can you, as a teacher/coach, imagine giving up your entire existence for training kids in your sport?

There is a reason I am an x-world-tour competitive skier, yet our school does NOT have a ski club. I'm just a dumb-ass english teacher. And, thank god for that.