• Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning Musume. Such a strange creating. I wonder how much those girls get paid and what % of the MM turnover that represents?

My kids enjoyed the bukatsu at school. I am very wary of letting them stay there too late. Some of the clubs do way too much in my opinion. Luckily it seems to have worked out ok. It's a good time for the kids to all have fun together out of class.

his arse should be fired for that...thats just beyond sexual harrassment IMHO. How can a teacher cross that line and still have a job is beyond me. If I was a parent and he made my son run around naked Id beat his ass back to the stone age mad.gif

i just discovered the other day that many of my kids are doing 3-4 hours of practice in the sweltering heat with out any breaks for water. in fact, kids aren't allowed to have water, they get in trouble for asking. my friend told me that when she was in junior high(15 years ago) it was common for kids to get beaten for sneaking off to get water. i wonder if that still happens?

what's more, this is happening despite instructions from the principals and BOE to stop such behavior after several incidents of heat stroke and dehydration. which leads me to believe that clubs has very little to with with sports and athletics. and seems a lot more like military training.

interesting about the naked fiasco. Hear of a famous baseball coach getting caught beating his players? The school lost the right to play in any games for a year. He's still head coach. (at my school) He's young too. He's not long-term veteran. I'm just wondering where the punishment is. (btw- this is one of Japan's most famous baseball schools.)

I like when I see them being forced to down a quadruple-size onigiri during the 10 minute break between classes. The same coach smiled at me and pointed at the circle of like 10 kids all trying thier asses off to actually finish it. I couldn't have finished it... with water.

"I'm building thier muscle." (smile)

"That's funny... why don't you just use protein, aminos, and water? But I agree that a giant ball of rice would be beneficial for thier endurance training. Are they going to run for 20 kilometers after school?"

"Hai..."

because you know... world-class baseball players run marathons on thier days off.

At my school, at least for T&F, and I know baseball, rugby, soccer, and Am Ftball, the kids have tons of water breaks and get in the shade some as well. Heat has been picking up and we already had one kid pass out from the heat...and its only early June crazy.gif

• 2 months later...

did any of you read/see this article from japantimes online?

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ek20070911ks.html

"There's just nothing in the life of a Japanese adult that comes close to the strenuousness, the physical stress and severe jyoge kankei (top-down relationships) that define the bukatsu. It was as if adrenaline gushed to peak levels and stayed there every single day. Imagine being a permanent member of Billy's Boot Camp, without the fun, without Billy and clad in school-mandated jyaji (nylon sweats) and you'll get the picture"

is it me or is bukatsu similar to being in a cult? Many of the coaches are fanatics, if you don’t give 100% and only practice to be #1 in Japan, then get the ‘F*** of my team is the attitude that many coaches take. I use the word “coach” lightly as many have no F’ing clue about the sport/club theyre in charge of in the first place. Gives me the shits. Coaches put club/practice over school, and run these kids into the ground. If, like at my school, the kids have to practice 3x/day to get better, then something is fundamentally wrong. Not only does it take away energy from students being able to focus in class, its quite dangerous for them, especially jhs kids, to be doing that much exercise without giving their bodies chances to recover…bukatsu in japan = cult.

Militaristic overcoaching in high ranking schools is so common that you can consider it systematic. Its not just the odd bad apple of a teacher. In the case of running laps when its 35C plus or crazy rules like "no drinks for first years", its simply cruel. The most famous baseball school, PL Gakuen in Osaka, have been banned from Koshien for several years due to the teachers hitting the kids. The frightening one is when you see things like that whole-class-three legged race they have for elementary school kids. You see teachers giving it the sargeant major over them at that age too, no doubt lapping it up whenever some clown calls them a "good coach". Common sense says that a good coach must be someone who actually reads about conditioning methods, kids psychology, nutrition, injury management, .... Any ferking idiot could stand there shouting "Work harder!" You might as well get a robot with the cattle prod.

One thing you can say about all this though is that it proves that not all kids are under massive academic pressure, another common criticism of the Japanese system. A lot of them just play baseball and sleep the rest of the time.

I'd like my daughter to go overseas to see family during the hols, so I don't suppose she'll be able to commit to a strict club. It'll be a shame if there's something she's really into.

Soubriquette was a regional champion sprinter and cross country skier at school until she did her achiles tendon. The training put her off anything after that. She's still much faster than me and she'd be a better skier, but stuffed if I can get her on to the snow. It's a real shame.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a speech I made late in September to my students on having practice 3x/day. Sorry its in Japanese. I've taken out some paragraphs and sentences due to personal reasons.

皆さん、お早うございます!

僕は、一学期に行った初めての礼拝スピーチの時に、4年前に起きたスキー事故について話をしました。今回は、僕の若い頃の経験を通して皆さんに少しアドバイスをしたいと思います。

僕が日本に来て一番好きになったスポーツは、スキーです。僕にとってサーフィンとスキーは一番格好よくアグレッシブで、尚且つ危険を伴う精神的なスポーツです。しかし、実は子供の頃から一番好きなスポーツはランニングとトライアスロンです。僕は5歳になったときに、初めて走る事を始めました。もちろん、まだ幼かったのでそれほど長くは走っていませんでしたが、走りながら色んな事を感じられる事に気づき、とても好きになりました。それと、お父さんがランニングとトライアスロンをしていたので一緒にトレーニングをしているうちに、もっと親密な関係が築けた事も好きになった理由の1つです。

皆さんはIronman Traiathlonを知っていますか?僕の父はIronman Triathlonに3回出場しました。3.86キロを泳ぎ、180.2 キロを自転車で走り、42.2 キロを走ります。1日という短い時間の間で。そのレースは、世界中で一番難しいに違いないはずですが、僕のお父さんは何度もそのレースに勝ちました。それに感動し、僕もレースを始めました。僕は若い頃、自分と同年齢のグループ内で何度もレース勝ち、そのおかげで、僕はハワイ島に住んでいたプロ選手にも知られていました。そしてある時、友達になったプロ選手にトレーニングへ同行しないかとの誘いを受けました。僕にとってそのお誘いは本当に光栄な事でした。プロの友達は、1.5キロを20分以内泳ぎ、40キロを50分ほどで自転車で走り、42キロを2:15で走る...信じがたいかもしれませんが、僕の友達は世界中のみんなに知られていました。プロの友達とトレーニングをしたおかげで、僕はさらにもっと速くなっていきました。そして、あるトライアスロンに出場した時に3000人中18位になり、同年齢グループ内で勝ち新記録も更新できました。その結果、初めて僕にスポンサーが付きました。そのスポンサーはOakley sunglasses, Beaver Sunblock (日焼け止めの会社)と地元のバイクストアでした。プロの友達のおかげで、僕は世界中で一番速い選手のトレーニング方法を学んだだけではなく、ストレーチング、DIETも学びました。

そのおかげで、僕はアメリカ全土15-19歳集団の中で3位になりました。高校時代では、400メートルを50秒で走り、800メートルを1:52で走り、1500メートルを4:07で走りました。その結果、僕はジョージア大学から奨学金を戴きました。大学になると、さらに速く走れる様になりましたが、怪我をしてしまったせいでほどんど良い記録は出せなかったと思います。僕は今でもそれを後悔してます。その当時僕はとても悔しかったのですが、大人になって考えてみると今はその事をとても感謝しています。

今、このホールに集まっている皆さんは僕がどれほど練習や苦労を重ね、どれほど集中したかはおそらく理解出来ないかと思います。

実際僕は今まで日本に来てから、この様に自分の事を話した事があまりありません。では何故僕は今ここに立って、このような話をしているのでしょうか?

同志社の陸上部では、一日に3回の練習がありす。アメリカでは、中学生が一日に三回練習するのは前代未聞です。聞いたことが無いというよりも、まだ若い中学生にとってその激しいトレーニングは非常に危ないと感じますし、きっとアメリカ人の保護者達はそういうトレーニングを許さないと思います。

アメリカと日本で多少考え方の違いはあると思いますが、はたして君達は今、それほど激しい練習をする必要があるのでしょうか?中学生はまだ未熟な段階です。まだ完璧な大人ではありません。そしてプロ選手でもありません。同志社の中学生の中でプロ選手になりたい人がいるかどうか分かりませんが・・・

今後も同志社で練習のやり方は変わらないと思いますが、ただ僕は皆さんにもっと自分の体について知っておいて欲しいのです。皆さんの体はまだ十分に成長していないので、一日三回もの練習をすると君達の骨、筋肉、関節、人体などは損傷(そんしょう)を起こす可能性が非常に高いのです。僕の経験上の話ですので、信じてください。僕は今31歳です。今まで4回手術を受けました。理由の一つは棒高跳びの事故で三回、もう一つは練習のし過ぎからです。僕の左の膝はきっとまた手術が必要でしょう・・・。この様に1度身体に大きな損傷が起こると、年をとってからも残ります。

ですので、僕は君達にもっと自分の身体について理解し大事にして欲しいのです。正直申しますと、体の成長期の大事な時期にそこまで激しい練習する必要が無いと思います。きっと僕の意見に対して反対する先生達や生徒達は多いと思いますが、僕は君達を見ていて心配になる時があるのです。ですので僕は、決して無理をせず自分の体と向合いながら、できる範囲で練習をする事を是非おすすめしたいと思います。

また、僕のアドバイスが何か力になるのであれば光栄ですので、気軽に話しかけてみて下さい。

以上です。

clap.gif Nice one CB. Get much of a response? I didn't know some of that stuff about you and your old man! Wow! I wonder how many people here will read this though? A rough summary in English might help ;\)