• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That board did what it set out to do; get the surfy/slidy motions going on on pavement. And at high speeds, it also looks stable as hell. (which in itself is a leap from traditional skateboards/longboards.) That's awesome to see, thanks for the link.

I can help if you have any questions, I freeborded for three years but haven't ridden for about 18 months now.

They're definitely the closest thing to snowboarding, hands down. Although the first few days feel very strange, within a week its literally like snowboarding the streets. I guess the major downside is that you're riding on concrete and catching an edge hurts! I personally enjoyed the rush of bombing down my street at 50kmph being able to slide, spin and carve exactly like a snowboard. Just talking about it makes me want to start again!

Also, freebording greatly improves your riding ability on snow. I noticed a massive increase in my edge control and ability to do flat rotations at great speeds.

Not knocking your sport Stevo. It sure looks like fun, but "closest thing to snowboarding" you'll have to convince me on that one.

Sure they are throwing thier bodies around in the same motions as in snowboarding, but the direction is all down the hill. Not really like laying it over and digging a rail and driving forward.

Still I'd like to give it a go. Those guys were hooking down those hills

Carve boarding is where it's at for me

I bought one for a friend in Japan and assembled and gave it a go - it was pretty tough, I never did quite get it...seemed pretty dangerous too. The only hill in my area led into traffic so after about 5 tries and almost getting hit by a car, i gave up.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Not knocking your sport Stevo. It sure looks like fun, but "closest thing to snowboarding" you'll have to convince me on that one.
Sure they are throwing thier bodies around in the same motions as in snowboarding, but the direction is all down the hill. Not really like laying it over and digging a rail and driving forward.
Still I'd like to give it a go. Those guys were hooking down those hills

Carve boarding is where it's at for me

You're right about it being solely downhill, besides sliding and carving the ride is quite restricted in terms of traversing due to the width of most roads.

I tried many other boards but found freebord to be the closest to snowboard. This was after a week or two, in the first rides I was convinced it was nothing like it! It feels very wobbly at first.

Not saying it's the funnest ride though. Carveboard was great fun when I tried that. I enjoyed being able to go from road to sidewalk to grass, ect. It was much more like a mountain board.

If only it was possible to apply the freebord system to an ATB!
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone out there ever ridden a Freebord? (a dropped intentionaly it seems... kids these days!)

I only just heard of them but aparently they allow one to "snowboard on concrete" I watched the "watch the ride" video on thier site and it pretty much has me convinced!

http://www.freebord.com/main.html

Looks like a ton of fun and a good way to make use of those random roads to nowhere in the mountains round here. Seems to handle incredibly like a snowboard (see the guy stopping for the truck in the vid) and travel insanely fast (end of the vid).

Anyone tried it, was it as good as it looks?

ooh nifty, thanks \:D

I did actually search for it but forgot to ommit the "A" lol

edit - actually I just realised that I didn't increase the time feild from 1 week. Sorry guys must be a pain when someone reposts the same crap... apologies!

did you ever try it spook?

nup. never tried it.

i fell of a skateboard on a hill last year and my mates are still talking about the stack. then 2 months later a good mate busted his ankle skating a halfpipe.

freeboards look fun, but i bet you can hurt yourself real good. for a gumby like me, i don't want the pain. i'll just stick to surfing and snowboarding thanks.

it does look pretty rad though. i like the slide action that mimics snowboarding...

It definitely looks cool, and the movement is definitely snowboarding, but you max out on that thing its not even the impact into the concrete you've to worry about its oncoming traffic!!! Wouldn7t mind giving it a try but would have to be on a road that is not open to traffic, while wearing helmet, elbow pads, kness pads etc etc. I'm such a chicken for pain!!

mantas - i've seen dudes on carveboards macking down hills and it looks like they are in pretty good control. coming off at those speeds though... i don't even want to think about it.

i guess i'm just a wuss!