While I was posting my silly post on the other thread, it got me thinking.... when I go to Switzerland, say Zermatt, those pretty little villages often have very expensive posh brand shops going on.

I certainly haven't seen anything like that in my limited Japan experience, but do any of the resorts have that real posh thing going on? Perhaps they might do in coming years... (?)

(PS Not that I'm interested in the shops myself)

Yes, there are a fair few run down shacks. Arai had some shops and had an expensive look, but it was still just the resort and they weren't brand shops or anything like that. I can't think of anywhere with that kind of village feel.

Yes, definitely some up-market shops at Karuizawa. I even remember there was one selling very nice fur coats. The prices there were quite good though. Lots of high quality stuff there at prices which were relatively cheaper than what you would normally pay. Not crazy discounts but reasonably good ones.

I definitely remember Karuizawa more for its shopping and eating than for its slopes.

So that have a MacDs as well then?

People don't go there just for the skiing though do they? From what I saw of it they would be silly to. I think it has a really early start though which gets people going (right?)

• 3 weeks later...