A kid named 'Metallica' is at the centre of a legal battle between her parents and the Swedish authorities.

Michael and Karolina Tomaro have already baptised their six-month-old daughter, but the Swedish National Tax Board rejected their application to register the name leaving the child without a passport.

"It suits her," said mother Karolina. "She's decisive and she knows what she wants."

And obviously as a six-month-old girl she knows that she wants to be called Metallica for the rest of her life.

The powers that be dismissed the application on the grounds that it was associated both with the band and the 'metal' genre as a whole and may cause the child suffering in later years.

There is, however, a woman in Sweden using 'Metallica' as a middle name; a fact the County Administrative Court in Goteborg cited as they backed the couple's right to name their daughter whatever they wished.

that's twisted... the telling people what they can name their kids thing. Personally, I don't care for the name Metallica, but I can't imagine anyone going through life with the name Dick, either.

I would be curious if the band were actually offended. They hated the music/download/internet revolution and were involved with the legal dispute with Napster. If they aren't offended, and if the courts don't pursue that level of control... what's next? Steve Jobs getting upset somebody named their kid Ringo (Apple)?

Picabo Street (a world famous downhill racer; 1994? women's Gold) picked her own name and is famous for having the opportunity to do so.

To me I think its OK to call the girl Metalica. By the time she is 18 the band will be gone and mostly forgotten. The parents should have denied all knowledge of the band and just said they thought it up themself.

To me a name like 'Brooklyn' is worse than Metalica.

And how come 'Jesus' or 'Mohammed' is ok as a name, isn't that sacriligous?

I think this is one of those things where theres a grey line and they should avoid imposing any restrictions unless its a swear word or insult.

Are you asking about Gwar or Metallica, Soub? Metallica used to be one of the heavier underground Metal bands in the 80's but they cooled down and had become pretty-much mainstream by the 90's.

...As for Gwar, this is my first acquaintance also but I did a quick search on Wikipedia. Seems they've been around for a while. I don't know if their music is good.... They look pretty theatrical eh?!

As far as naming a kid after them.... some people like the gw consonant cluster. It's non-existent in dictionary entries but occasionally occurs in names --like Gwent and Gwendelin. I have no idea weather Daver's fondness of the name is aesthetic or sentimental....

Quote:
Originally posted by ger:
As far as naming a kid after them.... some people like the gw consonant cluster. It's non-existent in dictionary entries but occasionally occurs in names --like Gwent and Gwendelin. I have no idea weather Daver's fondness of the name is aesthetic or sentimental....
obligation actually.