I always think - not very. Then a friend of mine who is a stewardess told me a few shocking stories about just how unclean these things are.

When you think about it they aren't going to be able to clean them properly when they just have a couple of hours between flights. Do they EVER get properly cleaned? My friend says that she strips off as soon as she gets home and takes a bath - no clothes worn at work go past the genkan.

I'm getting more and more paranoid about things like this.

I sure I wouldn't get on a plane if I knew the horrors. I remember once getting on and the personal video screen had some old hardened food and lots of smears on it. It was disgusting. I asked to move actually I just couldn't cope.

The cleaning they do is very superficial. I also just try not to think about it, and strip off and take a loooong hot bath when I get "home".

Chill out, Veronica... You don't eat your dinner off the TV screen, do you?

Deep Vein Thrombosis - AKA economy class syndrome - is more of a danger than the state of cleanliness of planes, and it isn't much of a danger at that

• 3 weeks later...

Good friend back home is an air stewardess. She says that they only do a "deep clean" about once a month on the aircraft that she works on. And even that ain't too deep. She has become increasingly paranoid about cleanliness. Her top tips are - don't put the blanket on your face, don't put your head back on the headrest, don't eat the food unless it is mad hot and totally sealed, etc, etc.....

I'm surprised she has lasted as long as she has!

One of my friends is a J-nurse. She said that the majority of tapeworm patients in Japan picked them up on trains...and as most people like the end seat in the row, those seats contained 10 times as many eggs as the middle ones when tested. Not sure how she knows that but makes me think twice about sitting down on short journeys.

eek.gif eek.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by me jane:
One of my friends is a J-nurse. She said that the majority of tapeworm patients in Japan picked them up on trains...and as most people like the end seat in the row, those seats contained 10 times as many eggs as the middle ones when tested. Not sure how she knows that but makes me think twice about sitting down on short journeys.
eek.gif eek.gif
:barf:

You need germs to build up your immune system.

I can't stand anything that is too clean, its like a hospital and plenty of germs still manage to live in hospitals.

I guess that if there are enough normal bacteria, the hardier ones don't have a place to live. But in a clinical environment the worst ones have room to thrive.

Quote:
Originally posted by griller:
The difference?
How about 10 hours for a start!
Well, that would depend on the froms and tos tho right?

Anyway I have a feeling the subways and trains (especially crowded ones) are total septic pits.

Quote:
Originally posted by scouser:
Tapeworms from train seats. Put me off my ride tomorrow morning there!
Yup! Worm eggs are microscopic! They float all around in the air and are concentrated in any kind of public butt-fabrics. Like the velveteen seats on planes and many subway cars. You'd think they would get hip and use naugahyde or something less prone to storing dirty nasties.

I never touch the handrails in trains or train stations.

Growing up in london that was hard but i mastered the art of the ninja stance - legs wider apart and anticipate the trains sideways and braking movements.

Try sniffing your hands the next time you touch a metal handrail on a train :p

Quote:
Originally posted by YellowSnow:
You need germs to build up your immune system.
I can't stand anything that is too clean, its like a hospital and plenty of germs still manage to live in hospitals.
Gawd! Especially Japanese hospitals!!! When the US Army recently got in trouble for having messed up quarters for returning vets I felt like saying HEY! THAT'S NOTHING! - Visit a Japanese private or public hospital... It's just the same.

Japanese hospitals to me look like post-war soviet Russia.

A few weeks ago my office had a medical check(I got all "A's" on my results. There was a van with the doggiest xray machine you ever saw.

I wonder how many times the people here that worry so much about germs have been sick last year. I was sick once from a relapse of mono that I usually get after very strenuous exercise or something really attacking my immune system, I think it was from when I went surfing in Shounnan. Now that is real filth. I have not had a cold of flu in years.

I was at the hospital 3 times though. Fractured arm, fractured rib, leukemia scare because I got so beaten up surfing every week that I had far too many bruises.

Plane toilets - do you use them and if you have to sit is it a real sit or a hover? I have never had the misfortune to be in a situation where I feel the need to sit but I feel for the ladies.

I have used the plane toilet maybe twice in my life. Any time I travel I get instantly dehydrated and never have to go. I was even on a 36 hour flight before, a series of connections and didnt have to go at all.