Not over yet, McLaren are looking to appeal the stewards' decision not to penalise BMW and Williams for fuel temerature irregularities (how many technical rules are there?!?!). If they are disqualified on appeal, the title could change hands *careful not to throw a spoiler in*...

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron Dennis is probably still fuming at having all his Constructor's points taken away over the spying thing. He won't let it be, there's too much $$$$ at stake.

And rules are rules, if they've been breached, then there should be a penalty. Some would say that the stewards are again playing favourites so that Ferrari end up on top, just like in the good old days, when MS could run everyone else off the track and get away with it.

Yes it does seem a bit odd to just arbitrarily not enforce the rules, especially since they enforced that lame rule about using only one type of tire in practice for that race and fined the teams who broke that rule. However, if they gave the title to Hamilton now I think no-one would be happy.

Totally Off-topic:

Interesting to see that word come up. When I was in university there was this ass-wipe teacher who everyone hated (He went to oxford but somehow ended up at my lowlife uni and was lowest rank teacher there but acted superior all the time. He was too flirty (creepy) with the girls and was nasty to everyone but the course leader was not allowed to sack him). Anyway, he took an especial dislike to me because I turned up late for one of his lectures one time and argued with him when he tried to humiliate me in front of everyone for it. So in my end of year appraisal he said 'do you know the word hubris?'. I said 'no' and he says 'go home and look it up in a dictionary, it describes you'. I just laughed at him and said I don't have a dictionary \:D

Everyone should be happy with that. let's hope that's how it turns out. I've been waiting some years for Kimi to win the championship, and to get it in the final race of the season, by one point over 2nd and 3rd, was the best result for Formula One. Everyone will be keenly waiting for '08.

• 2 weeks later...

The Grauniad

"Two-time world formula one champion Fernando Alonso has left McLaren Mercedes.

Alonso's agent, Luis Garcia Abad, revealed he had secured a deal with Dennis under which the driver would not have to pay any compensation for leaving the team. "Fernando is no longer with McLaren," Garcia Abad told Europa Press. "It is confirmed. He is free to sign with any team next season."

Soon after, McLaren confirmed the split. "Everybody at McLaren wants to wish Fernando all the best for the future," said Dennis. "He is a great driver but for some reason the combination of McLaren and Fernando has not really worked out, and in the end we reached a stage where none of us could find a way to move forward. We all believe that our joint decision to part company is for the best, and we will now continue to focus on our 2008 world championship challenge."

Alonso himself said: "Since I was a boy I had always wanted to drive for McLaren, but sometimes in life things do not work out. I continue to believe that McLaren is a great team. Yes, we have had our ups and downs during the season, which has made it extra-challenging for all of us, and it is not a secret that I never really felt at home.

"I know there have been suggestions of favouritism within the team and people say a lot of things in the heat of battle, but in the end I was always provided with an equal opportunity to win."

That last paragraph is part of the deal. Alonso couldn't hack it in a team that didn't give him No1.

And this. I'll quote it in full, because it needs to be read to be believed.

McLaren must prove 2008 car has no Ferrari parts

The onus will be on McLaren-Mercedes to prove that none of Ferrari's intellectual property has been used on their 2008 championship challenger when the car is examined by scrutineers from the FIA.

The sport's governing body had ordered that the car be examined as part of its punishment from the "spygate" affair in which Ferrari designs were passed to McLaren by the Italian team's former engineer Nigel Stepney. The scrutineers will report to the world motorsport council on December 7.

There was more bad news for McLaren yesterday when the FIA president Max Mosley said that not only was it unlikely that Hamilton would be crowned 2007 world champion, even if the team's appeal against the stewards' decision not to penalise BMW Sauber and Williams for breaching fuel regulations in the Brazilian grand prix were successful, but the 22-year-old Briton could start the 2008 season with a negative points score should Ferrari's intellectual property be found to have been used in his car.

"Ferrari data was in the hands of the [McLaren] chief designer at precisely the moment he was designing the 2008 McLaren," Mosley said. "The difficulty we have is that we are not going to find a part that was designed by Ferrari. What you may find are ideas and at this level of technology, if the idea is given to the chief designer he will make a component utilising that idea which bears no relation at all to the component being used by the other car.

"So we will be looking for the ideas. The investigation will be thorough and it will use outside experts. We will do everything we possibly can to make sure that neither of the McLarens has any element of Ferrari intellectual property in it. Or, if it does, we will then have to consider taking some sort of action. That would not necessarily prevent them from running, it would be more likely that they would be given a negative point allocation."

A McLaren spokesperson said: "We have no comment other than that we will cooperate fully with the FIA. Bring it on."

A Ferrari source suggested managers at the Italian team would be best qualified to know what, if any, innovations on the McLaren are the fruits of espionage. "Ferrari knows what was passed to McLaren and what can be used," he said. "It is not necessarily about copying but about gaining advantage by knowing what the other side is doing. When you play poker and know what cards your opponent has, you have an immediate advantage."

So the FIA are looking are looking for a Ferrari influence. How about Ferarri claim that a monocoque, four wheels an engine and a gearbox are their intellectual property? Why don't the FIA simply subcontract F1 administration to Ferarri?

The FIA demand proof of innocence. How about this. PC farkwitt fascist Mosely fascist git: "That's a nice watch you're wearing sunshine. Can you proove it wasn't stolen?"

I've been a grassroots supporter of motorsports since I was 13 (in 1965). I used to pushbike 30 miles from Kenilworth and Mallory Park and back to watch any racing that was on.

I'm not big on conspiracy theories, or criticising people, but I have exceptions. Mosely is total shite.

Mosely is a barrister. Barristers are paid liars, people who get rich by plausibly saying black is white. Mosely is a paid liar from a family of Fascists. If you think I'm using fascist loosely, check out his father, Oswald Mosely and the Union of Fascists. Mosely and Ferrari are killing GP.

The story is simple. Keke started on slicks on a drying track. The first 10 laps were Finnish rally ace, with the Williams pointing everywhere except straight ahead. He kept it on the track, and when everyone else came in to change tyres, he was gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXL39KQtaAw

Long Beach 1983. I don't watch much F1 these days. It's rubbish in comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXL39KQtaAw