• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
LEWIS HAMILTON, on course to become the richest sportsman in British history, today confesses: "Money is not important to me."

Quote:
The 22-year-old Formula One sensation is negotiating a mega new £10 million-a-year contract with McLaren boss Ron Dennis.

It wouldn't be important, would it?

Always laugh when people like that make comments like that.

But on the issue of the BMW and Williams' cool fuel (and the lack of punishment thereof), why are McLaren persuing it in court, if not to get the extra points to boost Hamilton to the top of the Drivers' title? Just to restore the appearance of fair play? I think not.

How about "rules are rules"?

If the FIA have enforced a $50M fine plus all points lost for McLaren for infringement of "the rules", why are they not enforcing "the rules" against other infringing teams?

It seems perfectly simple to me. The outcome is irrelevant. The governing body is either fair-handed or corrupt.

So why are all the other disinterested teams not invoved in a class action arrangement? Why is McLaren on their own in court?

Not all infringements are equal. Murder and parking offences are dealt with differently. Why not a warning for a technical mistake (assuming it was an innocent error), and a major penalty for espionage? I don't see a problem with that. Rules are rules, but the punishment should be proportionate to the crime... not that I'm arguing that that is the case here (the punishment was somewhat arbitrary, and a bit harsh), but I don't think their trangressions are in the same league.

For the minor infringements, I'd say the "innocent" teams are saying nothing on the "there but for the grace of God.." principle.

The real test will be how the FIA deal with Renault. McLaren were shafted for being in possession of Ferarri data. Renault have been caught with reams of McLaren data. I'd like to say I can expect a $50 million fine, and a loss of all constructors points for the season. What I predict is something much less draconian, and some squirming justification from barrister Max.

Similar crime, similar punishment, no argument from me there... I guess we'll find out how they deal with Renault soon enough, and I agree that we'll probably not see that principle in action.

On Ralf, he's no Michael. He's been trading on the promise of his surname for too many years. He can't complain he's been deprived of good cars or reliable teams, he's jst not that good.