Quote:
Originally posted by db le spu:
I like any toothpaste which is not available in Japan.
In 3 years of being there I always had toothpaste sent to me from Canada. I'm pretty sure that I never used the J-stuff
Maybe even went so far as going without for a weekend if I forgot even though there was j-stuff there for me to use

ok, which one are you using? It doesn't matter Japanese or not.

I remember a friend of mine reccomended me Cinnamon flavor before, I should look for it.

There is one I don't like. Salt toothpaste, horrible taste...

I use whatever my mum sends me. Crest must be North American only: never heard of it.

The one I am using at the moment is Colgate Total 12, an omnipotent type toothpaste that leaves your mouth really refreshed.

I dont like local toothpaste here, its weak.

As long as its got fluoride in it, it usually good by me - 30 years old and no cavities, not a single filling - nothing.

Toothbrushes are just as important as the toothpaste, a crappy 100yen job wont cut it, I used a Braun electric job for 5 years but recently went back to regular manually operated model because I couldnt find any economically priced replacement heads (costco doesnt stock them anymore annoyed.gif

The one I got is excellent; its a Oral B cross action Vitalizer

pic_centertop_vitalizer.jpg

4 for a 1000yen at costco.

I figure you pay a little extra now for a good toothbrush and some good toothpaste and you wont have to pay a kings Ransom to a Dentist who charges like a wounded Bull. I havent troubled the dentist for over 5 years now, I dont need him to stick that hook in my mouth, poke a bit, make me rinse and spit, tell me my teeth are great and then want $80 bucks for the 5min experience.

I can think of a million different things my 80 bucks could be spent on.

I used to hate Japanese toothpaste but I'll put that down to having used colgate almost my whole life (till then 22-25 years)

These days I use J toothpaste. It's fine and I have no teeth problems either. I go to the dentist once every 3-4 months, just for a tiny clean up and costs only 1,500 ( so think you're getting ripped off blind SG)

I use J toothbrushes too as the heads in foreign brands are usually massive, and prefer the smaller one.

It really comes down to what you are used to, look at FBC, they make a killing from people who don't know what half the shit is in the J supermarkets and want the same as they had at home, then they bag the J stuff coz it's not as good (they think)

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
just for a tiny clean up and costs only 1,500 ( so think you're getting ripped off blind SG)
Indo that was a Dentist in NZ , I have never been to the dentist in Japan, havent needed to.

I for one like the big heads, piddly little heads dont do as good a job and get destroyed far too quickly.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
people who don't know what half the shit is in the J supermarkets and want the same as they had at home, then they bag the J stuff coz it's not as good (they think)
maybe they think that because they have seen the state of teeth of the general population here
wink1.gif

i really like my toothpaste to have a bite to it (mind the pun). need it to be really minty and refreshing

i went to the dentist on saturday. it cost $476 canadian dollars. ridiculous. it was expensive because i was a new patient so before they can simply clean your teeth that have to do a hundred dollar consultation and take xrays. bloody rip off. they break everything down too. 28 dollars for flouride! 28 dollars for a polish etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by SG:
maybe they think that because they have seen the state of teeth of the general population here
I was waiting for that one..
I am not a dentist or teeth expert for that matter and can't really comment on any other places besides Japan and OZ, but my general understanding is that in Australia the people genarally have very strong and healthy teeth due to the fact that we have flouride in our tap water. From a young age it gives us strong and healthy teeth. These days in OZ children are starting to get holes in their teeth etc from a younger age due to the large consumption of natural spring water or bottled water, rather than from the tap.
Yeah there are funky teeth here, but thats their culture, especially the protruding eye teeth eek.gif (couldn't find the vomiting one) Our style is to rip out anything that isn't 100% straight and whack braces on em.. which looks 1000's time better.
 Quote:
they break everything down too.
Better than my local in the UK. They seem to charge whatever they feel like on any given day! No price list, no breakdown. Always get the feeling of being ripped off.

My toothpaste is in a green tube and has those little bits in as well. I like that.
 Quote:
Originally posted by manda:
i went to the dentist on saturday. it cost $476 canadian dollars. ridiculous. it was expensive because i was a new patient so before they can simply clean your teeth that have to do a hundred dollar consultation and take xrays. bloody rip off. they break everything down too. 28 dollars for flouride! 28 dollars for a polish etc.
$476! That's really expensive. Health insurance covers dental cost in Canada, doesn't it?
I'm lucky my teeth are very healthy and beautiful by nature. And my dentist is happy about that, too. \:\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
 Quote:
Originally posted by manda:
$476! That's really expensive. Health insurance covers dental cost in Canada, doesn't it?
I'm lucky my teeth are very healthy and beautiful by nature. And my dentist is happy about that, too. \:\)
health insurance in canada doesnt cover dental.
its so bloody expensive

Like SG said, look after your teeth properly and save yourself the trauma of the dentist. I can’t take that hook thing they jab you with…. Makes my skin crawl just thinking about it.

I only spent a short amount of time in japan, so I’ve got no idea how to differentiate between good and bad j-brands. All I know is that the stuff the family I was living with used was terrible. Super sweet and I reckon it did more harm than good.

The apparent interest in this thread has alluded me so far but maybe if I post something on here I'll get into it.

Umm... ... I just buy Japanese stuff. I like the bottles that stand up on the cap. I don't recall seeing them back home.

well, ger, it's either this thread or the poo thread in snowtalk!

i actually have some vaguely amusing poo stories and half typed a post, but then i thought it would be a tad weird telling total strangers on the internet a bunch of stories about my bowel movements.