Primary Industries Minister Ian Macdonald said that 577 great white sharks were caught in nets along the NSW coast between 1950 and 2008.

In the past seven years, 25 have been caught in the Newcastle area, 15 in the north Sydney area and eight each in Sydney's south and the Illawarra.

We sent a few up your way Indo.

Still no swell. Waves to the south. Waves to the North. What does a bloke have to do.

angry

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And another - today

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/717586/shark-attacks-man-in-nsw-lake

Hey Mantas the actualy do tag White Sharks here in WA, I'll try and find the link which apparently shows where they have been swimming.

Im actualy getting a little nervous for the 1st time in my life, especially after the recent close call.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Not good.

I often wonder why it is that they spend large sums of money tracking Marlin that are tagged in game fishing.
Who the cares what Marlin do. Start tagging great whites.

Dunno if you have seen THIS Mantas but makes an interesting read, I managed to find this from a few years ago.

Geez, that young girl was lucky to get away with her leg (and life) Not many people survive Ol Whiteys.

I wouldn't panic though unless it was all concentrated to one spot. Might have been the moon that sent the sharks into a spin???

any thoughts on sharks getting hungrier / more aggressive due to human fishing practices?

and any on great whites being protected species and not allowed to be hunted?

i like being in indo. no sharks there. well, only little ones

http://www.cmar.csiro.au/whitesharks/ozmovements.html#tracks

This is a great read and a bit more info on what Indo posted above.

Im with you spook, only seen one shark in Indo and that was at lakey pipe one morning when I had it to myself, wasnt large but did scare me. Apparently there was a big Tiger that lived down at Nungas (???) but have been told it hasnt been seen in a few years.

Recent data showed the female great white, known as Columba, was about 100 kilometres north-west of Exmouth, at a depth of about 600 metres.

600 meters? Those things are like Panzer mark V tanks. 600 meters, 6 meters, 60 centremeters, 300 km from land or up in rivers. They can show up anywhere.

They tagged and tracked one a while back around our way. It came right into our 'safe' sheltered inland water way and even started going up the Karuah river (koko will know this place) before it turned around and headed out to see.

The authorities don't like to let the public know too much around here. Not good for business. We need someone famous to be eaten in dramatic fashion to promp some more funding to flow into shark tracking and behavior.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
We need someone famous to be eaten in dramatic fashion to promp some more funding to flow into shark tracking and behavior.

lol Paris Hilton was up here a week ago, That would have made headlines!

Thanks for that link Pete.
I actually saw another story a while ago where the shark that had been tracked that went from SA to WA then to South Africa and back! Was pretty amazing, so I will try and find that.

I agree with the Indo thing. They are there though, I saw one @ Nungas Pete (maybe the Tiger??), but that was after alot of rain and ir's a rivermouth.. Gland has a few tigers, and I've come across a few in Sumba but they always seem to be pretty content!

Mantas, that shark turned around at Karuah because it just got incredibly bored!

I think there has been sharks in Lake Macquarie.

I havent seen any lately. well, almost never in Newcastle.

I wonder if there are any waves today. There were a couple around yesterday. average, but.

Originally Posted By: Indo

lol Paris Hilton was up here a week ago, That would have made headlines!

Then she would actually be famous for something.
I can see it now. The Paris Hilton Shark Reserch Centre.

I could recommend a great vid to watch.

Busting down the door.

I'm not usually one to sit through surf vids but I'll rate this this one along with the likes of Riding Giants. I took particular interest in this because I remember a lot of what went on at that time. I was a grommet who grew up surfing around Merryweather (Newcastle) when MR was king. My mate was his cousin, it was like being connected to royalty.

Basically its about 4 guys. MR, Shuan Tompson, Rabitt and Ian Cairns who went to Hawaii in the seventies to make a name for themselves and the birth of pro-surfing.

anyone seen it?

Yeah mate, saw it a few weeks ago and was a good watch. I was wandering how they were going to approach the whole "beat down" stuff.

Those guys were good eh, and really just doing it for the love of it.

How would you like to be in MRs' shoes? As a skinny 17 year old he was told to go out at 25-30 foot Waimea in the 74 Smirnoff! It was put up or shut up.

I have a lot of respect for those guys but Rabbit has always struck me as a bit of a tool.

Hah not me Koko. Watch it on DVD.

• 3 weeks later...