• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

picked up an issue of a J-surfer mag and they had done a trip almost completely around Australia...some of the unknown/unridden breaks were sweeeeeet!

As with the mountains, secrets dont remain secrets for long...especially when pictures get passed around or people on the hunt see you ducking ropes into the trees..

BP- I knew you were a surfer (well almost ;\) ). Haven't met a WA boy yet that doesn't surf. I don't subscribe to the micro racist culture in surfing regarding the pecking order of surfers over body boarders. As long as your having fun it's cool with me.

P.S. Just don't tell my surfing mates I said that lol.gif

Ocean- I was going to guess Midget. Yer shame our surfing elder statesmen are behaveing like dickheads. Nat young sounds like a real tool to me. I actually met the guy that knocked him out at that famous Angourie incident. Imagine being famous for that.

>>I actually met the guy that knocked him out at that famous Angourie incident.

When I was 15 or so i competed in a national juniors competition in Coffs Harbour. Lost first heat, made it through two repacharge heats, that was it. Any way, a bunch of us not in the finals went to Angourie. Surfed spooks in the morning, hit the bottom, breaking way too close to the rocks. Surfed 6 foot Angourie after that and it was pretty good, slightly onshore. What's my point?

Well, about 20 of us from the comp all had the same idea and it was a bit crowded with groms from all over Oz, plus the usual local crowd. Nat Young was in the water screaming at us all to "get the F out of my break!!" It was constant swearing and abuse from one guy. Totally full on abuse.

Next day, back in Coffs at the presentation ceremony, cant remember who won, perhaps Jake Spooner. Guess who was there? Bloody abusive Nat Young giving out the prizes for the winners of each division. But now he was all smiles and happy, handing some trophy to a little grom asking him what his longest barrel was, saying that surfing with kids was great, how much he loved seeing his son in the tube. I was only a little kid and didn't have the guts to call him out for being a violent wanker the previous day, telling us to F off etc. What a hypocrite jerk. he had no idea loads of us watching the presentations where in the water with him the previous day.

15 years later he gets the shit kicked out of him in the same surf spot for behaving pretty much like he did all those years earlier.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mantas:
BP- I knew you were a surfer (well almost ;\) ). Haven't met a WA boy yet that doesn't surf. I don't subscribe to the micro racist culture in surfing regarding the pecking order of surfers over body boarders. As long as your having fun it's cool with me.
As I said, ski vs snowboard. Same crap different crowd.

Anyway, as for knowing I was a surfer (almost), you should have known already from some of the other threads. In particular that Typhoon thread a coupla months back, or even the odd comment on the snow in japan thread. But yeah, heaps of guys from WA surf (or almost surf).

Mantas, you might try looking at the Properties of the image on the webpage, and copying and pasting it between tags. That way we get the picture without the humongous URL.

Nice find though. They went for a 'classic' look with that damage. Very 'old school'.

Well, not many of us agree with that kind of a beating. But when I heard about it and people were saying he had it coming... I believed them. He'd had something coming for over 15 years.

I think its pretty ugly and its against the law, but that wasn't random surf rage. He was smashed at his local beach by a local(?). That says a lot.

Jesus I've had some nice surfs on the Angourie back beach on days when there was no real swell. That's a nice spot with the drift wood and pebbles.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
mate, edit your post and using the full reply form, paste that into the url button provided, then give it a shorter name when it prompts you. It is severely skewing the thread! ;\)
Sorry boys .still learning.

GO WEST AUSSIES!

I love this country (in particular the western side) but I tend to agree with a lot of spuds points nonetheless.

Still, I was born here and i'll die here - Living in Australia has helped form my attitude and perspective toward life and people. It has let me appreciate the surf and yearn for snow. It's great.

Sick photo of 'in front of a carparks' BP....wish I had been on it that day! Haven't been down to margs for aaaaages but have been fortunate enough to get over to Rotto a few times to surf breaks named after birds and guns (more crypticisms!), which have been a whole lot of fun.

I agree that the bodyboard v surfer debate is a little tedious. However, one point that I want to make is that often bodyboarders will evolve into surfers as they become adults. Skiiers sometimes become snowboarders. Snowboarders sometimes turn into skiiers. Surfers almost NEVER evolve into bodyboarders (with the exception of injury/old-age).

That said, I have a lot of respect for bodyboarders.

Drift wood: Exactly the stuff. It was top quality drift wood. I bet Japan are trying to buy all Aussie drift wood to sell in department stores.

Bodyboarders: The only time I had issues with body boarders was in Portugal, they were like cancerous cells that swarm and multiply, destroying a good surf within 10 minutes. They simply do not observe the rules of the line-up and paddle directly inside right after getting a wave. Sit deeper and slightly further out than a short boarder and snake every-single-set, they'll paddle over your legs if they have to. They were very good riding, I respect that, but I was taught rules when I was a kid. They also had a gaumless sullen look about them.

Agreed, it is very rare for a surfer to take up bodyboarding. Ever heard this? "Hey, I surf, but last week I went bodyboarding in the shorebreak reforms when the points were cranking at 8 to 10" Neither have I.

WA: the most often mentioned place by non-Australian surfer that I meet over here. They all want to go there. That really is a nice picture.

snosurf that pic wasn't mine, but agreed it looks pretty sweet.

I haven't surfed the NW but all the pics I have seen made me cream in my pants. The SW has some awesome stuff, and Rotto, mate, if you get that place cranking, well it's awesome!

You are right that you don't hear of many surfers taking up bodyboarding. Maybe that says something about the two. One factor that needs to be pointed out too, though, is the severe image-bias that surfers have towards bodyboarding. Comments like "no self-respecting surfer would ride a lid" is a great example of that. With that kind of attitude being prevalent, I reckon any surfer who took up bodyboarding would be obliged to laugh himself out of the lineup.

spud, bodyboarders that snake, drop-in, and generally disrespect the rules suck. I totally agree. But, I have experienced the exact same thing with surfers. Neither variety of wave-dwellers has a monopoly on that kind of idiotic behaviour.

Re the drift wood. How much do you reckon it would sell for here considering the Tokyu Hands pricing you saw spud? Worth considering venturing into? ;\)

Mantas, you can edit that posting by clicking on the paper with pen icon along the top of your original post.

That's the longest post I have made in a while. This one is for you O11: lol.gif

I don't have any issue with people riding a wave on a body board, so I'm not up for a debate between the two things. But if a surfer snakes you can point it out to him and he will usually know what you are on about. If you pull up some bodyboarders for snaking they usually don't know what the hell you mean. Its like they have never even heard of line-up ethics. Probably cause they bought their gear in kmart and learnt to ride in 3 weeks ;\) To be fair, it was only in Portugal that I have seen this swarming. They dominate the surfers and I think are paying back for decades of gutslider abuse. Dims of this forum is a very good bodyboarder and currently lives in WA.

Driftwood: considering Tokyu Hands pricing, you would make a killing with this stuff.

yeah I hear ya mate. The guys I grew up bodyboarding with certainly knew and respected the rules. I disagree that surfers usually know what you are talking about anymore than bodyboarders, especially if you are at a decent break with big surf. The k-marters won't be going out there anyway, and the bodyboarders who do, would, in my experience, know better than to ignore the norms of the lineup. In fact, I have seen more surfers do it to bodyboarders because of the attitude that bodyboarders don't belong out there. thumbsdown.gif Anyway, this shouldn't be a surf vs bodyboard thread. Keep the stories coming people.