DSCF0722.jpg

Yeah, that gorilla in the background is me. He's 5 years old. The girl in the green is Law's #2. She's 6 and been surfing for 2 years already. I really shouldn't let them on my glass board, it's a bit dangerous. He's got a 5'6" softy that he rode today, it's not as easy as my glass 6'8". So now I spend all my time dragging him around instead of surfing myself.

WHAT HAVE I DONE? lol.gif

if you are thinking of your boys, I'd recommend something like a 6'0" or 6'6" softy to start with. It sound big for a 2 foot midget I know.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My No.1 will be 5 in May (not far off your boy) and he's had a few goes but 2 years ago he got dumped and has been abit iffy with the surf, though he has got more confidence up the last few years. I'll be getting them a 6'0 ish softy as soon as we get home. I even rode one of those fat softies in 3-4ft surf and was fun till the bottom turn!

You won't be complaining in a year or 2 when he can join you out the back.. then father - son surf trips grin.gif I can't wait!

funny pics soubs..

mantas, my boy started school the other day too.

he has got a softie as well. he had to learn how to swim first!

how has the surf been?

have one for me! I hope the banks are fixed up at bar when i get back..

i been skiing every day. the legs are just starting to come good.

>how has the surf been?<

Your not missing too much. Some 3-4 foot days but mostly onshore. Raining a lot too.

Your getting hammered with snow ay?

I bought a 7' 0" softie last week. Fun for the whole family \:\)

they always veer off, but i kinda freak sometimes. how much do dolphins weigh - 100kgs maybe? one of those hitting you at speed is gonna do more damage to you than them

sometimes pods of dolphins let you paddle right up to them, so close you can almost stroke them. i like how close they let you get, but sometimes i wonder what'll happen if one of them reacts badly.

i'e seen them butting and ramming sharks before, and they do some damage.

mostly though i just love watching them glide through the water and bust out into the air

just got back from 3 days down the coast. fun waves everyday. i am happy

Yeah..the photo doesn't really show how fast those things are traveling. Sometimes they are really motoring. If one hit you, you would be mush.

I had one screaming towards me one time. It was leaping in out out of the water as it approached. I just sat there freaking out. The dolphin just factored me into it path placed it last dive about 10m in front of me. Then it popped up 10m behind me and kept motoring on it's way. I felt like I just had a near miss with a Ferrari ! eek.gif

Not much happening here on the surf front. They keep promising a swell from cyclone Gena, but it doesn't arrive. wakaranai.gif

I can't surf. too many dislocations = my shoulders don't paddle. (maybe I could learn by tow-in)

Anyway, I often read this thread. Thanks for the shots. I'm pretty sure I'd cry if I saw those dolphins. But the cat made me laugh again.

surfing is just like snowboarding - it's not about whether you can actually do it, but whether you wear the right clothes and have the lingo.

hang out on this thread long enough and you;ll be able to pass yourself off as a surfer the next time you're at the beach. i also recommend watching movies like "point break" and "blue crush" for tips. ;\)

nah, just kidding. glad you like the pics. although sometimes i feel guilty about posting so much about srfing on a snow japan forum

spook, don't feel guilty. Surfing is the one sport I have always drooled over. I've been on body board a few dozen times, but whatever. I tried surfing once in Iquique. My shoulder popped paddling out. Then I got crushed by a set trying to swim with one arm. It sucked. I learned I should probably have better range-of-motion before attempting that again.

keep the blue coming.

Sounds like there's something really wrong with your shoulders Samuri. Some of my mates, and my brother, have had the same problem. They all had ops to fix the problem, and they are surfing and paddling fine now. Did you like Iqueque? I thought it was pretty cool place. A smoking right hander too, El Colegio.

Spook- I didn't mind that Blue Crush movie. A typical cheesey story and plot, but lots of chicks in Bikini's and Some great cinematography of Pipe.

I'm glad people other than Indo, Spook, Bushy, Koko and myself read this thread. I wish we had more people from around the globe post here, but hey, it is a Japan Snow Forum after all.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Sounds like there's something really wrong with your shoulders Samuri. Some of my mates, and my brother, have had the same problem. They all had ops to fix the problem, and they are surfing and paddling fine now. Did you like Iqueque? I thought it was pretty cool place. A smoking right hander too, El Colegio.

There is a lot wrong with my shoulders. I know more about shoulder dislocations than ANYONE.

Iquique rocked. My bed on the 4th floor was 100 meters from water. It never rains there, so my patio-door never closed, my curtains flapped for 6 months. My living-room window was floor to ceiling. Tow-in kids lived across the street and had a nice rack of tow-in tools. I used to drink tea in my living-room and watch world-class surfers on Sundays while I recovered from collectivo drunken sunrises. I saw gunfire, a knife-mugging, and once... my student brought his rusty revolver to class so I could teach him "Shooting English." That gun had the safety removed from behind its trigger. One of my lessons even took place in a strip-bar... paid for by one of the world's largest mining companies...

Iquique was fricking nuts.