this is a good example of the shark's fin soup that we all crave.

zzzshark-fin-soup.jpg

The soup is made from hunnan ham and fresh chicken. Simmered for about a day to bring out the flavours of the meats. The fins are soaked for about 2 days prior to adding to the broth. The fin is a vibrous transluscent bunch of strands that can be as long as a finger. As you bite into the noodle like strands, it goes crunch as tooth meets tooth and you are sent into taste heaven as the soup washes the strands down your throat.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GYOZA!

So like a home-made version then.   Sounds good to me.

I was avoiding ramen over summer, just too hot, but got back into it the last few weeks. Miso negi. Can't beat it.

My lady friend is on a pastry making learning curve.

The pie she made last night was actually really good.

Long may this continue!

thumbsup

Oops sorry forgot a pic.

• 3 weeks later...

About HP. Thanks Guardian

Quote:
Brown sauce. As names go, it's hardly a winner. It evokes – let's face it – chocolate slurry, the sewery gush, the eventual way of all meals. But despite this, it's welded itself into the western psyche. Every supermarket on both sides of the Atlantic has a chestnut imitation, every roadside caff its littering little sachets.

Most Brits – perhaps especially during election week – associate it with HP. The brand accounts for 71% of the UK brown sauce market, and is also the most popular with Canadians. In America, with somewhat unimaginative specificity, the equivalent is A1 Steak Sauce, dolloped almost entirely on beef.

It's almost shocking how delicious HP is. From its lowbrow reputation and unappetising hue bursts a remarkable aroma: complex, fuggy and fruity, like swimming through compost and Jif. It tastes better than it smells, too, a sweet-sour, subjugating blend. In truth, I never expected to like it - ours was a ketchup family – although in Edinburgh, where I grew up, every chippie uses brown sauce let down with vinegar as the "salt'nsoss" for its fish or haggis suppers.

A Nottinghamshire grocer concocted the primordial recipe in the 1870s using ingredients thrown up by empire: tamarind, dates and molasses. He registered the name HP Sauce in 1895, cannily claiming that Parliament had started serving it, and decorating his bottles with the now-familiar lithograph of the Commons. A nearby vinegar manufacturer bought both recipe and brand in 1903 for £150, and the rest is proverbial. (There is no evidence in the sauce's official history to support the claim that the name comes from the initials of a Mr Harry Palmer, a gambling addict who sold his recipe for "Harry Palmer's Famous Epsom Sauce" to cover his debts.)

The sauce caught on quickly. HP's rival, the horribly named Daddies, began production in 1904, and by 1940 brown sauce was so well known that the ever brand-conscious Betjeman could write in the poem Lake District: "I pledge her in non-alcoholic wine / And give the HP Sauce another shake." Harold Wilson, his wife blabbed to the Sunday Times, would "drown everything in HP Sauce" – and though in fact the PM preferred Worcestershire Sauce, he knew that a reputation for liking HP lent him man-of-the-people cred.

For much of the 20th century, HP's octagonal bottles were bedizened with French drivel about the sauce's digestive qualities, and when the company abandoned these European pretensions in 1984 readers wrote to the Times bewailing "the loss of that much loved and most piquant of French primers – the label on the HP Sauce bottle". If, like me, you don't remember that miniaturised textbook, Marty Feldman sang it in a reasonable parody of Jacques Brel.

A glance at HP's Facebook fanpage highlights two things: the simplicity of the dishes it accompanies and the homesick internationalism of its fans. Brown sauce is one of the most teary-eyed expat foods – a Proustian goo thick with memories of home and home cooking. Jamie Oliver is a fan, and Sam Mendes loves it so much he plugged it in his otherwise dreary film Road to Perdition.

They may not make it here in the UK any more – there was a rightful outcry when production moved to Holland – but HP remains wholly British in spirit: "The Official Sauce of Great Britain" as a former strapline had it. The sauce is proof that this country enjoys strong flavours and layered complexity in its food as much as any other nation, and the brown stuff will always remain the best complement to one of our greatest offerings to the world: the full English breakfast.

So what do you think? Was it mother's milk to you, or can you barely stand the stuff? Should we, like the Americans, slop it on steak? And most divisively of all, where do you stand in the great bacon butty debate: ketchup or HP?

Ketchup!!?? KETCHUP!!?? on a Bacon sandwich?? Thursday naughty

I've just devoured a bacon sandwich smothered in said Brown sauce...mmmmm yummy

Ketchup is for Burgers and Hot Dogs

I'm not keen on ketchup OR HP sauce!

I have them occasionally - but I don't particularly like EITHER!

However my Gosport born father can not survive without regular intake of HP sauce.

And my Fremantle born brother is about the same with Tomato Sauce.

Come to think of it ... there is not a sauce or a topping I would really miss .... with perhaps the exception of salt.

we planted some rosemary in the 2 foot wide strecth of mud that passes as my garden along with some Basil and they were gone within days, the imsects had a feast!! lol

Had a BBQ down the beach yesterday, great burgers, sausages and hot dogs...mmmmm

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Yeah! Ketchup! Gonna have a BBQ today! Anyone ever tried rosemary skewered chicken? Soooo delicious. Luckily, I have a massive rosemary bush in the backyard!

Rosemary is very good.
We have a large hedge made from Rosemary - it is the most amazing smell when you walk past it and stick out your hand.