• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GYOZA!

So like a home-made version then.   Sounds good to me.

I was avoiding ramen over summer, just too hot, but got back into it the last few weeks. Miso negi. Can't beat it.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
YUM TB!
A good Osaka-style Okonomiyaki - bit like a Japanese Bubble and Squeak only better.

Close but usually no leftover vegetables are used.

Imagine a batter mix with some sliced cabbage in it, fried on a non-stick surface, and you add whatever you want to it during the mixing of the batter stage.

Hiroshima uses noodles and a fried egg to finish.
Monjya uses a semi cooked mix with sauce all mixed up. Looks like vomit but imagine it tastes a lot better.
Osaka is the most well-known of okonomiyaki.
Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Excuse my ignorance guys but what is Pork Okonomiyaki?

You mix it up something like this...[and I think this is an essential part of the experience - I don't think I would like to have it plonked on my plate ready cooked]
okonomiyaki-1(1).jpg

Then you go through the process of cooking it... with the pork we cooked it first and then added the mixture on the top of the pork.
japanese-food-cuisine-okonomiyaki.jpg

And you end up with something like this....only this one has the bonito flakes piled high on it - not something Mr Seafood Allergy up there would have had wink But I like the bonito on it.
okonomiyaki.jpg

Pete ... sorry buddy... but there is reason enough to come back to Japan for another trip. You have not lived until you have had an Okonomiyaki. wink