Steve 'crocodile hunter' Irwin dead

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible news, this is big loss for Australia, perhaps he was the most well known Australian of his time.

Say what you like about his antics and personality If everyone on this planet had one tenth the passion of that guy this world would be a an incredible place.

The media it would appear needs a slap on the wrist for not holding back a little on this story,

apparently his wife had not been informed of the news first, not a cool way to learn about you loved ones demise. Isn't it standard protocol to inform next of kin before going on a reporting frenzy?

Just saw BBC news, it said the stingray barb not only pierced his chest but got him right through the heart, I guess he died pretty much instantly.

R.I.P Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
a "marine accident"? Stingray barb to the chest sounds to me like he was most likely doing something a bit silly.
ditto.

plus: making money by acting like a child treating animals like toys. But having said that, he made quite a few Australians aware of wildlife. Pitty he had to dumb it down to the level of a knuckle dragger to appeal to the tv masses. No disrespect intended on his death. I thought the same when he was alive.

And 'passion' can get quite tiresome after all, especially when it's the default state. There must be a good reason why it causes people to perish in foreseen but yet surprising ways.

People do a lot of interfering with big wildlife in the name of one thing or another, and while it may be very interesting or very entertaining or both, the value of some of it seems highly quetionable. Although he may have valued wildlife very highly, not all of it valued him. Personally I side with the wildlife.

Another reason to respect nature more!! Not sure on all the ways he went about things but was a great conservationist when it came to passion and ferver and the foundation he founded contributes a lot to different projects around the world.

Friend of mine got stung by a ray once after accidentaly stepping on it, apparently hurt like hell, but after putting it in really really hot water countered the poison really quickly.

I learned to respect animals after being comprehensively tossed by a bull-calf. I learned to be particularly careful when trying to prevent a diver who got between a sea lion and her calf from bleeding to death, after she ripped his thigh open.

>> the foundation he founded contributes a lot to different projects around the world.

That is good. I hope his wildlife foundations continue to bring benefit. Besides his self serving animal wresting antics, he nonetheless probably did more than most of us do.

It is a pity that most people don't understand that passion and enthusiasm are attributes available to all of us in our own lives. His passion and enthusiasm is only a loss because we (the tv viewing public) lack it entirely. It doesn't have to be that way. The loss of one man is only sad because the population and environment in which he lived was so lacking in what he offered. Perhaps if we tried living our own lives with a little more commitment and passion then we wouldn't be so dependent on holding individuals as legends and heroes. Don't leave the role of passion and enthusiasm to tv personalities and then bemoan their loss. Try living it yourselves, whether it is wildlife, conservation of environment, energy conservation, exploration of things you have never seen.. what ever, just turn off your tv and go out and live what Steve Irwin made a fortune showing you.

Not directed at anyone in particular.

l'spud - well worsted. I agree with your sentiments.

I don't think Steve Irwin ever tried to be anyones hero. He just got a buzz out of what he was doing long before the media merchants arrived. Not much changed - just his exposure.

Perhaps his dryness and at times in-your-face larrikin antics put people off.

So what.

He wasn't authorative or sensible enough like the Attenboroughs???

A few years back a friend of a friend worked at his place in QLD and said he made hyper-activity seem slow. Constantly on the go, go, go. Never stopped. And his intent was only good.

That was him on the screen - all bared. Not very common in these days of manufactured know it alls and dunces.

As l'spud said he was doing it, not armchairing the manner.

Steve was Steve! What you saw was him! I know this first hand. I say that not to big note myself but to confirm the above comments. It is a big loss today. I feel for his family and anyone lucky enough to have interacted with him. Its Australia's loss. He did so much more then most anyone will ever know. What a "bugger" of a day. \:o

At school I was taught more about that bloody donkey than I was about English grammar. That sentence is evidence enough ;\)

Australians love heroes and the hard done by... and now they have another one to get all "Aussie" about. Still, there were probably 100,000 people on tv that were worse than Steve. I only saw him about 4 times there was certainly something very Australian about him. Looking at the media and comments from the public, the outpouring of drama-grief is as usual when someone famous dies and the 'real aussie' stuff is being laid on a bit thick. Strange how the death of a famous father is cited as such a massive loss to the wife and kids, seemingly more devastating than the death of a suburban working class parent killed in a car crash.

And just in case you thought all Australians were the same, read this. Checkout what category in the blog its posted!

http://www.spinstartshere.com/?q=node/1535