That was a bit of a shock, only 29. He was my favourite player in the Japanese team (admittedly he didn't have much competition for said position!)

I wonder what he will do now. More ads? Commentary? Something completely different?

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that at his peak a few years back he was in the top 10 earners in world football. Of course I read it somewhere, so it could well be rubbish. But he does seem to have a ton of ad contracts going on and the like.

yeah, he announced his retirement from all forms of the game. I like Nakata, but it sounds to me a bit like a case of "If I can't win then I'm packing up my toys and going home!" Seems he has just had a gutfull of playing for a shit national side.

read what he wrote he wrote it in japanese and english on his website. he said that the game just wasnt fun anymore. He said that he always tried to hard the parts of him so that he could look and play stronger but that it was starting drag him down. That last lay down on the pitch was how he wanted to feel. Its very good write up about a man and the presure that he felt since he turned pro. He just said that he wont play not that he was quiting soccer

nakata pretty much single handedly showed japanese kids that it was possible to be a professional football player, at international level, and by doing so dragged the whole standard of the Japanese team up with him.

I don't think anyone can criticise him for quitting now!

He is kind of a one-man older generation, and if the younger guys aren't stepping up and surpassing him, then why should he keep punishing himself at that level?

plus he always seemed like a decent guy on TV

BBC have this:

Japan's Hidetoshi Nakata is busy making impressive plans after announcing his retirement from international football, preparing to launch a fashion brand bearing his name and considering enrolling at the famous Harvard Business School. (Times)

read a while back that he had his finger in some business pots, and had been thinking of starting his own business for some time. Seems as though he has his head on straight also, but would like to see him put something back into the game in japan to try and pull the standard up.

He sure seems pretty smart, unlike many footie players. I'm sure he will have successes off the field, he has done more than enough if he wants to walk away.

• 2 weeks later...